*Huge price drop $45k* 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series 4x4 Camper Conversion

4whtundra

Adventurer
For sale is my 1997 Toyota Landcruiser 80 series camper conversion. I built this rig in 2020. Some of the highlights of this build include:

• wedge style popup (better in the wind)
  • full standing cabin as well as standing height countertop with sink, one person can cook breakfast/coffee while other person is still in bed, bed can hinge out of the way creating more interior space
  • 6” thick Queen memory foam mattress (fits 2 adults and a child comfortably)
  • 4 doors allow seating for 3-4 people
  • GM motor swap: smile factor, readily available service and parts, better mpg, able to pass and actually accelerate going up a grade
  • 80 series chassis, need I say more? Coil sprung and straight axles, boxed frame, tighter turning radius, shorter wheelbase
  • The camper is no wider than a factory 80 series and slightly longer (body is longer not wheelbase), fits in a normal parking spot, short enough to go through most drive thru windows
  • The last and probably the most important highlight for me is that it can maneuver tight and moderately difficult trail systems that are just too narrow for full size trucks or trucks with higher/wider cabover campers
I have been extremely happy with this setup, enough so that I know it’s my all-time favorite camping/touring rig. This thing has definitely proved itself through the toughest of environments, states and countries. I’ve driven this truck from Montana to Cabo San Lucas (and all through Baja) and back without any major issues (small issue with exhaust routing). I daily drove it for 6 months and just recently drove it from Montana to the Mojave Desert and back again. The drivetrain performs beautifully, cruising at 75 is a sweet spot. It can pass going up a grade, corners extremely well, brakes well and all while maintaining a comfortable ride for passengers. Off-road is no exception, air-down for the beach or crawl up your favorite logging road where no rv would dare to explore. Interior is incredibly spacious given the size of the rig, with the bed down you can still hang out on the bench, stand up or cook breakfast/make coffee while others are sleeping. With the bed in the stowed position 3-4 adults can hang out inside out of the weather. There is ample room between the mattress and the roof to keep your bed made and bedding out of the way. The Iceco fridge is easily accessed inside the vehicle or from the DS rear door, this makes loading groceries or grabbing a cold one from the outside or inside very easy. With the awing setup you have direct access to the fridge for meals all while being covered from the elements. Clean and clear Montana Title in hand. $65K Located in Stevensville, MT….Serious inquires only, please call or text 406-830-5266 - Ian

IMG_9827.jpg
IMG_9853.jpg
IMG_9852.jpg
IMG_9850.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg
IMG_9821.jpg

IMG_9824.jpg
IMG_9820.jpg

IMG_9810.jpg

Attachments

• 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series Camper specs.pdf
    115.6 KB · Views: 135

4whtundra

Adventurer
I've been getting a lot of messages asking who built the conversion so I figured I'd save some of the questions here. I completely built this rig (minus the tent) in 2020/2021 here in my shop in Western Montana, I own/operate a small machine shop called Rig Machine Works and tinker with cruisers on the side. I am actually in the middle of a second camper conversion (another 80 series) currently, hence the reason why I am selling the first rig to fund the next one. The second one is also not spoken for yet. I also have an instagram if you want to see the process of the builds @rigoverland or if anyone has any questions about the process I'm more than happy to explain - Ian

alanymarce

Looks like a nice set up, and it's a good base vehicle - nice job!

I wish you luck with the sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

4whtundra

Adventurer
Looks like a nice set up, and it's a good base vehicle - nice job!

However... 58K? Really? I suggest that you're somewhat optimistic with this price.

I wish you luck with the sale.
Thank you for the compliment!

Optimism is my middle name :cool:. I appreciate the feedback, it's honestly a hard rig to price as there isn't a ton of comparable vehicles in the USA market. I've had a couple people that are way savvier then me in the Overland Vehicle market give me a rough idea of what they think it would be worth to a buyer looking for this type of rig and the price I have it listed is about midway where they had said. I'm willing to talk numbers and consider offers with a serious buyer.

4whtundra

Adventurer
Lowering the price to $54k and also working on building a factory locked full floater that would replace the current axle. I'll be replacing all the bearings, brakes, etc. in this unit. Just looking to sweeten this deal for someone and also make this rig even more capable than it already is.

IMG_8078.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1