I finally got the Jeep I wanted...now I need help deciding which tires to use

jamm

Observer
I finally got my Rubicon, an '05 Unlimited and want to install a 3" lift. I'll more than likely install one from BDS since they are a local manufacturer to me. I would like to go with 33" tires and keep them inside the flares but don't want to have the skinny tire look. I'd like to keep the MOAB wheels if possible. Has anyone had any experience using 255-85-16s on a Rubicon? Unfortunately the only ones I've found are E rated, I'd like to get something in the C or D rating if possible. I was told that 285-75-16s would fit without rubbing but I believe they wouldn't stay inside the fender flares. I haven't found anything in the 33x10.50 sizes and wondered if I go with a 265 series or 32x10.50 would they look too small for the 3" lift.

I don't want to go with a 2" BB and 1.25' BL lift as I do not like how the BL looks.

FYI - Off-road usage would only account for 10-15% so ride comfort is a consideration. :smiley_drive:

Any suggestions or pics would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jerry

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I personaly can't comment on tires for a Rubi, but this is THE board for 255/85/16 knowledge... It's practicaly "the Board Tire". I'm running 33x10.50's and frankly I loev them on my 4 RUnner, I don't see any reason they wouldn't work extremely well on your Jeep.

Cheers

Dave

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I personaly can't comment on tires for a Rubi, but this is THE board for 255/85/16 knowledge... It's practicaly "the Board Tire". I'm running 33x10.50's and frankly I loev them on my 4 RUnner, I don't see any reason they wouldn't work extremely well on your Jeep.

Cheers

Dave

you crack me up...:coffeedrink:

AZBrad

I have 255/85 load range D BFG Mud Terrains on stock Moab wheels on my Rubicon and love them. Ride is good, performance is great. I have a DPG/OME suspension and extended my front bumpstops about the thickness of a hockey puck (ok, exactly the thickness :) and have no rubbing. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions I may be able to help with.
Brad

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have a fair bit of experience with this model and the lifts/tires/...etc that can go along with it.

You are correct in your assumption that 285s will stick out a little. However, it is just little and really not noticeable unless you are looking for it. The 255s on the other hand look like they came as standard equipment from Jeep. They fit inside the flare and their width/height ratio just seems to fit the stance of a jeep perfectly (of course this is a matter of personal preference and I am biased).

I too am running the 255 BFG MTs, but after driving the original E load tires for over 60k miles on a SWB Rubicon, I would have zero reservations about using an E load tire on my LJ.

As for lifts I am running the ZJ/LJ OME set up and the JKS BL. I too had serious issues with BLs but went this route as I had planned to run a Gas Tank skid that raised everything an inch. As luck would have it, someone was able to talk Genright into making the Safari tank :). It too needed a BL, but getting 32 gallons under the jeep was worth any BL. As long as your BL is small, as in NOT a 2" version, you will probably not notice it.

I bring this up in case you plan on some mods that will need a BL, but had not thought of it yet. Getting a 3" and then discovering you need a BL will give the appearance of a 4" lift, which on 255s would be a rather large gap.

Another plus to the BL was the fact that I knew I wanted the Nth Degree tummy tucker and the install goes much smoother with a BL. Most all TT go better with a BL.

However all of this came down to a series of concessions that I had to make....the BL or other issues with trying to install the items I wanted. If I had not planned on all those mods I would have never installed a BL. I will never try to sway someone in one direction or the other, but just want to help by delving into the decisions I ended up making.

Anyways, here are some shot so you can see what it looks like.
P1040100.jpg

P1040096.jpg

IMGP0285.jpg

IMGP0097.jpg

IMGP1313.jpg

IMGP1322.jpg

IMGP1316.jpg

This shot is courtesy of gjackson. Check out the blog on http://www.overlandtraining.com/blog/
OT_CO_SCT_06_09_04.JPG

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I have a fair bit of experience with this model and the lifts/tires/...etc that can go along with it.

You are correct in your assumption that 285s will stick out a little. However, it is just little and really not noticeable unless you are looking for it. The 255s on the other hand look like they came as standard equipment from Jeep. They fit inside the flare and their width/height ratio just seems to fit the stance of a jeep perfectly (of course this is a matter of personal preference and I am biased).

I too am running the 255 BFG MTs, but after driving the original E load tires for over 60k miles on a SWB Rubicon, I would have zero reservations about using an E load tire on my LJ.

As for lifts I am running the ZJ/LJ OME set up and the JKS BL. I too had serious issues with BLs but went this route as I had planned to run a Gas Tank skid that raised everything an inch. As luck would have it, someone was able to talk Genright into making the Safari tank :). It too needed a BL, but getting 32 gallons under the jeep was worth any BL. As long as your BL is small, as in NOT a 2" version, you will probably not notice it.

I bring this up in case you plan on some mods that will need a BL, but had not thought of it yet. Getting a 3" and then discovering you need a BL will give the appearance of a 4" lift, which on 255s would be a rather large gap.

Another plus to the BL was the fact that I knew I wanted the Nth Degree tummy tucker and the install goes much smoother with a BL. Most all TT go better with a BL.

However all of this came down to a series of concessions that I had to make....the BL or other issues with trying to install the items I wanted. If I had not planned on all those mods I would have never installed a BL. I will never try to sway someone in one direction or the other, but just want to help by delving into the decisions I ended up making.

Anyways, here are some shot so you can see what it looks like.
P1040100.jpg

P1040096.jpg

IMGP0285.jpg

IMGP0097.jpg

IMGP1313.jpg

IMGP1322.jpg

IMGP1316.jpg

This shot is courtesy of gjackson. Check out the blog on http://www.overlandtraining.com/blog/
OT_CO_SCT_06_09_04.JPG
That looks perfect. I LOVE the Lj's and wish Jeep would have seen fit to make another civillian version eh... IMO those tires look PERFECT. Tall and skinny wins my vote everytime. i swear my 33x10.50's look narrower then my 31x10.50's did...

Cheers

Dave

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Beowolf, you have a superb looking LJ. Mine is a bit beefier. My 05' LJ Rubicon has a 4.5" lift, 1" BL, 1" wheel spacers, and 35" tires on the stock 16" rims. I also have the Nth Degree tummy tuck, and lots of Currie and Off Road Only components. With the 35" tires, the factory gearing (4:11) is a bit of a stretch, but its very drivable. I only notice the gearing issue when I am climbing up a mountain road with other Jeeps, and I need to keep mine floored on the way up so that I can keep up ;-)

LOL, I just went through all my photos, I don't have anything from a side or front profile on level ground :)

297405674_D9MsJ-L.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The 255s on the other hand look like they came as standard equipment from Jeep. They fit inside the flare and their width/height ratio just seems to fit the stance of a jeep perfectly.
Don't want to get off-topic, but this seems an easy place to ask . . .

Does anyone know off-hand what wheel backspacing would be needed for these 255/85-16 BFG MTs to run without interference on a JK Rubicon without spacers? Is there a particular wheel preferred for these tires when taking a JK down to 16"? Thanks.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
NOT Medalist Sport Kings. They are **** and I hate mine and I can't wait until they go bad so I can replace them with better tires.

TOTJ

Adventurer
I have alot of expriance with jeeps and I want to give you some pointers.
Dont go cheap on the suspension.
Get a compete kit now and save your self money in the long run.
Research what you want because there is alot out there.
JKS, Currie, Rubicon Express, Rough Country, OME, Nth Dgree or I should say AEV and many more. They all have there advantages and disadvantages.
As example I just swapped out my Rough Country Coil Springs for AEV coils.
WOW! what a diffrence. The AEV are firmer but because of there engineering
the ride is better. You want to have adjustable control arms at leas for the
rear so that you can adjust pinnion angle. That real important if you put on
a belly up skid plate and a rear CV type driveshaft. You want a kit that replaces the front TrackBar. The worst thing on a jeep is Death Wobble.
With 3" of lift you dont need the dropped pitman arm if the kit comes with it or not. It can cause bumpsteer. The trackbar and steering should be at the same angles. Make sure the kit come with bumpstops. BDS shocks are stiff and you will get beat to death on the street. Pick a good gas pressure shock
like Bilstien, FOX, OME. Tire are your choice but consider what the type of driving you do most and when offroad what type of terrain. Sand,Rocks Mud and etc. You dont want a big ol mudder tire that you can here for 3 blocks away if you dont need them. I have just installed BFG KM2's on mine. There to new to comment but they seem to be a good tire and ballenced well. My last tire were Toyo. Great tire but EXPENSIVE and heavy.
If you gon on a jeep forum like Rubicon Owners Forum you will get 100 opinions. So good luck and enjoy that jeep.
This one is mine. 4" Susp. w/ 1" bodylift and 35" Tires. Its a basterd kit
made from 4 or 5 diffrent suspension companies now.
Img_0609-1.jpg

trail3.jpg

This the only picture I had on level ground
IMG_0364.jpg

hatu

Well I've been soaking up alot of the info on this site for a long time so I figure this is as good as any time for a first post.

Jerry (jamm) I'm running the 3" BDS on my '05 Rubicon LJ w/285/75r16 Mickey Thompson MTZ's. This lift has done exactly what I wanted it to do. Raise me up a couple inches. As another has posted, the shocks ride hard over bumps on the street. On gravel haul roads with big holes it will bottom out easily.
I love the MTZ's. So much quieter than the Goodyear MTR's. The MTZ's do rub the control arms at full turn, so you have to be careful. Also I have only a few pounds of air in the spare, so the tailgate can close. I'm currently researching bumpers to alleviate that problem.

For me though, I agree with the recommendation for the AEV progressive springs. As I learn more, I think I am definitely leaning towards them. 'TheMike' has a recent review on them found here and I can see how the heavy LJ can benefit from them.

Here's a few pics to give you an idea how she sits:

rubic.jpg

rubid.jpg

rubia.jpg

rubib.jpg

DSC_2074.jpg

jamm

Observer
Hey Guys thanks for all the info. Ya'll got some sweet looking rides. I hope mine will look that good soon.

Beowulf, I'm liking the stance of the 255/85s more and more after seeing your rig. I think that I'll check into AEV's progressive springs some also as it sounds like they solve alot of problems, particularly since most of my excursions will be on trails rather than rocks.

Thanks again to all for your input it certainly has helped. :smiley_drive:

Anyone else feel free to chime in as well.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Jamm, where are you located and what tire (size and model) are you replacing? Will you be selling them?

I'm still deciding what height I want my van to end up, so I'm reluctant to buy that "ultimate" tire set up. Keepin and eye out for a good deal on 31" 16 MTs in the mean time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1