Jeep TJ: Managing Weight and Speed

computeruser

Explorer
We just got back from a week of travel in the TJ. Loaded with a week of gear in terrain that included a lot of sandy washboard and roads with regular dips/puddles, as well as a bit of time on rocks and on trails with 12" deep erosion channels, I was on the bumpstops way too much unless I kept the speed down to an unreasonably slow pace. With 100k+ on the original coils and 50k+ on the Bilstein shocks, I think it's time for some updates...and some suggestions on what to do.

I previously ran airbags in the rear coils, which managed the weight well with a ride quality I was content with. But with the Ford 8.8" rear axle I'd have to fabricate a lower mount for the bag to simulate the factory lower mount, and I think I'd rather re-spring. I've already got a SS-SYE, so a bit of lift is fine and won't incur those costs/worries that most people try to avoid. Current setup is stock coils/1.25" spacers front, and stock coils rear with about 2" height gained on the rear via the axle swap, which nets a slight rear-high rake with the soft top, rear seat, and no gear in the back.

Due to cost, I want to keep short arms. I plan to stick with my 31-10.50 tires for the foreseeable future, since I have two sets - mud and snow/ice - both with tons of tread. But I want more uptravel range and a bit more breakover angle, and need better axle control at speed - 25-35mph on washboard. I want to stay off the bumpstops with two people in the vehicle, the hardtop on, 2-300lbs of gear in the back, possibly another 100 on a roof rack. Our travel usually involves 3-400 miles of highway use before getting to the dirt.

Got any suggestions on spring-shock setups that work for this kind of use?

roadkill

Adventurer
I run a set of OME ZJ coils in front and LJ coils (all heavy duty) on my LJ as well as OME shocks. works great for me on my LJ. if your on a budget and don't need much lift I bet a set of stock ZJ front coils and LJ rear coils might be just the ticket your looking for. should be able to source them easily from the junkyard or off forums after others have done a lift. not sure what shocks would be the best but if you get some adjustable ranchos you could play with the settings and see what works for the road and what you need for the washboards.

sylgeist

Observer
I second the OME suggestion. I have had a few different setups on my Jeep and always go back to the OME ZJ front/LJ cargo rear.

This time around I decided to put the LT (long travel) shocks on and am very pleased.

JPK

Explorer
I have the OME heavy rear LJ coils (the ones spec'd for a hard top) on my LJ and their heavy fronts too. The rear springs are probably too light for a heavy load in a TJ, they are too light for a modest load in my LJ. They will bottom them out in modest terrain from time to time, even with the lighter soft top installed...

JPK

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I had the OME heavy springs in the back of my TJ, along with spring bucket relocation brackets (aligns the spring buckets after rotating the axle housing up for a DC driveshaft), along with some adjustable shocks, and Nth degree shock shifters.

It still wouldn't put up with a heavy load (RTT, ARB fridge, 2 weeks worth of camping gear, 2 adults).

My ultimate solution, which doesn't really answer your question, was to sell the jeep and buy a 3/4 ton Dodge.

The Jeep was great when traveling solo -- not so much with a second person.

ddog45

Adventurer
The aev rear spring relocator made a huge difference on my lj with lj/zj combo springs. I have a set of stock rubicon springs you can have if you pay for shipping.

06rubi

OME long travel shocks did a world of difference for my jeep! I have BDS 2" springs up front and stock springs in the back with Nth degree spring relocators. With my 33's aired down to 15 it makes for a pretty nice ride.

cocco78

Adventurer
I would look into the rear LJ springs for the rear, but also work on getting your air bags in just for special occasions that you need the extra capacity. And for he front go with an XJ or ZJ coild spring, they have slightly higher spring rate, or some rubicon springs might serve you well...

I have a full set of RE 3.5" springs that i'm not sure what i'm doing with yet... that would be a bit much for 31's but I ran that combo for over a year and it didn't look bad. Keep an eye out on ebay for nearly new take out springs.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I also recommend the ZJ/LJ combo for the front and rear springs respectively. However as has been previously mentioned the LJ springs are still a bit soft for heavy loads. Fortunately OME just released a new LJ rear spring with an even heavier spring rate. The part number is #2996. I will be putting these on my LJ shortly. I also highly recommend the matching OME shocks to pair up with these coils. I have use OME suspensions on my last three Jeeps and the ride quality and load capacity are really the best available for overland applications. There are better systems for rock crawling, but that is a whole different discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal