Jeep xj lift tire combo?

hankimus

I have a ford 8.8 axle I've been saving for the jeep. My question is what lift is the best for my money? I want to stay with 31s, probably 3" lift, and the best gear ratio. The jeep is my daily driver but I have been getting out in the mud and rocks a bit, both winter camping and summer camping. Also tires. I like the mickey thompson mtz's, anyone have any info?

alexrex20

Explorer
i'm confused as to what you're asking...

are you swapping the ford 8.8 under there? whether you have a D35 or Chrysler 8.25, the Ford 8.8 isn't much of an upgrade, and not worth the hassle, in my opinion. (if you have a D44, it would be a downgrade.)

blackmonte

Observer
OME with spacers to fit 31s, or a RE 3.5 superflex . I had a RE 5.5 superflex on my xj & lots of trimming 35s & 4:56 gears and loved that combo! I agree also on the 8.8 , I had rear dana 44 very nice upgrade with bigger brakes as well.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
I disagree that the Ford 8.8 isn't much upgrade over Dana 35. The 8.8 is much more robust than a D35, very similar strength wise to a D44 (IMHO).

Anyway, that's all off topic. Running 31s with a 3" lift will work great on your XJ. Rubicon Express and Old Man Emu are two of the most respected low lift systems out there. One thing to keep in mind is that unless you use Old Man Emu, the 3-3.5" is a misnomer. Many of the XJ kits listed at 3" are actually more. The Rubicon Express 3.5" kits yield 5-5.5" of lift. OME 3" springs gave me exactly that, 3".

Remember to mind your geometry and steering components. Good luck, I love XJs on 31s. Very nice off-road capability and road manners combo. You may even luck out and not need a SYE.

jonzer12

i'm confused as to what you're asking...

are you swapping the ford 8.8 under there? whether you have a D35 or Chrysler 8.25, the Ford 8.8 isn't much of an upgrade, and not worth the hassle, in my opinion. (if you have a D44, it would be a downgrade.)

Not much of an upgrade? If you ever put dana 44 and ford 8.8 parts side by side in front of you, there would be no doubt in your mind that the 8.8 is in a different league. The pinion is huge, the bearings are much bigger, the tubes and centersection dwarf any Jeep 44 and you get disc brakes. 8.8 shafts have proven significantly stronger than 44 shafts.

However as the original poster wants to stick with 31's my first question is why bother the work for an axle swap to begin with and 2nd, as I have a 8.8 on 31's you will drag it thing over everything. The lip on the bottom is an anchor. I only installed in prepearation for 35's. Wheeling with it on small tires sucks.

alexrex20

Explorer
uh oh, the Ford 8.8 police is here!

if you're going through the trouble of an axle swap, it would be a huge disappointment to end up with only an 8.8. I know you have an 8.8 under your vehicle, and you feel the need to defend it. that is ok.

if it were me, i would get a ford 9 and be done with it. endless aftermarket, and much stronger than any 8.8 could ever aspire to be. that, and it has the pocket pinion bearing and uses a removable third member. shop around and you can build a 9in for the same or less money than an 8.8.

blackmonte

Observer
Currie 9'' would be bullet proof for sure, Supper 44 kit is also strong. My 44 never let me down and I wheeled the crap out of it. 8.8 does have a larger ring gear,thicker tubes, 31 spline & disc brakes but is still a c-clip and less ground clearance. I guess it depends on what you want to spend? super 44 kit has 33 spline with ARB for $1,045 so its not cheap but supposed to be as strong as a 60. The super 35 kit is about the same price.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
With the debate about whether or not an 8.8 is a worthy upgrade, when you are talking about stepping up from a Dana 35 most axles are an upgrade. As far as I'm concerned, the 8.8 is the next step up from an 8.25 but with having to modify them to fit a jeep I personally would rather find a Dana 44 that would bolt in with no fuss. Either way though, the OP already has the 8.8 so he might as well use it.

alosix

Expedition Leader

if you're going through the trouble of an axle swap, it would be a huge disappointment to end up with only an 8.8. I know you have an 8.8 under your vehicle, and you feel the need to defend it. that is ok.

if it were me, i would get a ford 9 and be done with it. endless aftermarket, and much stronger than any 8.8 could ever aspire to be. that, and it has the pocket pinion bearing and uses a removable third member. shop around and you can build a 9in for the same or less money than an 8.8.

Wow, thread of misinformation here :)

The 8.8 in my TJ was roughly $400 installed, counting the new no mile 8.8 (thought I doubt any of those are still available). At the time I couldn't find any D44s in that price range and a 9" under about $1500 really wasn't an option either.

The c-clips are only an issue if you break a shaft and want to attempt to drive out on it. On most any other axle that's still semi float you're probably going to cause damage to it attempting to drive on it broken anyway. But first.. we'll you'd have to break a shaft.

a 9" also has a painfully low pinion, (more so than the 8.8). A high pinion 9" solves that, but then you're working on the coast side of 8.8 IFS gears :)

to the OP.. if you happen to have an 8.8 with 4.10s in it already I'd just got to MORE.. get the XJ mounts for it and run the 31s with the lift you're talking about. Its not a bad combination and I've worked on and driven XJs like that in the past that worked well (though that one still had a D35 that finally killed its R&P and has never been offroad).

32x11.5s would also be an option for that lift size if you added bushwacker flares or other cut outs.

8.8 'disappointing' over a D35? really?

Would I go through the trouble of swapping one on a 8.25 Jeep? Prob not, though it does have a better locker selection.

Would I swap one for a D44, nope not enough gain.

hankimus

Thanks for the replies. Well, I guess a question would be then, since I have the 8.8, should I go with 33s? Or just stay with the planned 31s?

stomperxj

Explorer
An 8.8 would be a fine upgrade, especially if it has disc brakes on it but you might need spacers on both sides as they are about 1.5" or so narrower than a stock xj axle...

Now back to his question:

hankimus said:
My question is what lift is the best for my money? I want to stay with 31s, probably 3" lift, and the best gear ratio

Rubicon Express has great lifts that ride well and are of pretty good quality but are a little more money. Thats what I put on mine. OME lifts are very expensive for what you get in my opinion. Honestly if you are not out rock crawling or doing any high speed stuff, save yourself some coin and get a Rough Country kit. they make a 3" kit that is half the price of a lot of the other brands...

If you are going to run 31" tires you need to re-gear to 4.10's. I also am running this combo. I bought my gears from PORC in a package deal and have been very happy with them. Im 3+ years on them and they still look great and dont make any noise.

I run Treadwright retreads on my rig. Always have. I'm on my 3rd set and have had very good luck with them. They wear fine and are pretty good quality from my experience. Plus ive never had to balance any of them. they ride just fine from the factory. I just spoon them on some wheels, air them up and drive.

If you can, try to find a D44, otherwise an 8.8 or a Chryco 8.25 would be just fine with 31's...

Thanks for the replies. Well, I guess a question would be then, since I have the 8.8, should I go with 33s? Or just stay with the planned 31s?

I thought about this long and hard when i built my rig. 31s are a good size tire for these rigs as an expedition vehicle. When you make the jump to 33's there are a lot more things you have to address and modify to make the tires not rub and you would need 4.5" minimum lift as well...

jonzer12

Ah the 9" police. When I put my 8.8 in, I had a 44 available for purchase, I advocate the 8.8 because it is the better choice not because I have one under my rig. Yes the 9" has a stronger center, you obviously have no idea how much it would cost to put one under an XJ without losing the 30 up front. Can you get a approriate width stock housing? No. Can you get one with 5x4.5, no. Junk yard disc brakes, sure but you will be pulling them off an 8.8!

The point is you are way off base saying it is not a significant upgrade over a 35 or 8.25 or a 44. I'll done with cluttering this thread fixing your misinformation.

Last edited:

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer

No argument from me that a 9" is better than an 8.8. I would personally prefer a Dana 44 to an 8.8. It wasn't my intent to start a third member debate. I think 8.8 is a fine solution to the admittedly fragile Dana 35. It is a very popular upgrade due to its affordability. If money was no object (if that is really possible) the 8.8 wouldn’t be everyones first thought when it comes to an axle swap. All chatter aside, we are talking about what has been done to solve the 35 concern and IMHO it is a solid solution.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I could always add the PirateSmiley.gif version of:

GO 60s or GO HOME!!

:)

I have a D44 and an 8.8 in my TJ.. so I wonder what side I should pick? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online