Jerry can vs Rotopax for trailer

J-No

Searched the internet and consumed a pot of coffee in the process.

Need fuel for my open trailer. Obviously extra vehicle gas, but lawnmower/snowblower as well.

Thinking Jerry can for price. Although A wavian with a new nozzle puts you into Rotopax range (3gal)

Wavian with smitty bolt mount? Vs cheaper cans from Fleetfarm/menards?

Being for more/blower, ease of on/off a plus.

Thoughts?

J-No

That’s what I am thinking. Wavian/Valpro vs others?

Preferred nozzle for them? Looks like stick ones suck.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I think Jerry Cans are more practical. More fuel capacity for the footprint. I've always used a super siphon to refuel my truck .

krick3tt

Adventurer
Having traveled a lot using Nato cans and comparing their capacity vs the Roto capacity and price, I can buy 3 Nato cans for the price of one high volume Roto.
That is 15 gallons vs 4 for a root. The real Nato cans (not cheap nock offs) do not leak, even on their sides. Not sure of the Rotos.
Unless you really need the flat configuration of the Roto, I would go for the Nato. Of course the Nato can, when full is over 50 pounds and the Roto is much less weight but then holds less.
Yes the nozzle can be an issue for some situations, especially the tight fit of the gas entry in the newer vehicles. Better to have a battery pump or a shaker line.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
the scepter military cans cannot be beat! I got two used ones fairly cheep but needed to get custom aluminum inserts as these had none. Overall it was a bit expensive but I will never need to buy another fuel can.

C p weinberger

For me is was always the fill mechanism that really mattered, how to get liquid out of container into desired truck/ equipment without making a mess.

WOODY2

Adventurer
the scepter military cans cannot be beat! I got two used ones fairly cheep but needed to get custom aluminum inserts as these had none. Overall it was a bit expensive but I will never need to buy another fuel can.
What are these custom aluminum inserts you speak of?

old_CWO

You can usually find NATO cans in the sub $40 range from internet military surplus sellers. They have many different spouts and mounts available, don't leak or glug and are easy to handle. I have two vintage British cans (1952, 1989) as well as a more modern ValPro. All top notch pieces of kit.

ZMagic97

Explorer
To me NATO cans are the way to go. Tough, reliable, easy to get spouts and gaskets for, and last a lifetime. I have a few at home in the garage for back up fuel and used to carry one in my old daily driver truck bed (with camper shell). I’m still wanting to mount one on my WJ.

Oh, and the NATO cans, with a decent gasket, never spill.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Also, keep in mind that the Wavian/ValPro cans are also available in smaller sizes. I've got a 10 liter that I keep in my wife's car. It uses the same spout as the 20l cans but it's easier for her to handle. I believe that there's a 5L available as well.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Or you could put both types on your trailer; two 2.5 gallon jerry cans (one on each side), and one flat type (in this case, a Kolpin 4-gallon fuel cell behind the cooler).Arctic Trip.1 (2).jpg

J-No

Thanks for all the thoughts. I think I will start with a Wavian, smittybilt carrier, and a super siphon. I had no idea a super siphon existed.

RNarmy-- I'm an RN as well. My trailer is an open trailer, 49" interior width x 6'4" length, 18" walls. Not ready to spend the $$ on a RTT. May look into a rack system with your double cot set up.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I really like the design of the rotopax, they are the first new approach to auxiliary fuel storage in what seems like a hundred years. The mounting system is slick and secure.

I like the military scepter cans too, I have both them and rotopax.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Teardropper

Need fuel for my open trailer.

Are you sure? This spring I spent 20 night in the SW desert and gas was never an issue.

hQIjJOR.jpg

Even pulling my trailer I have a 350 mile range.

T

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design