JK Snorkles

Dave_g

I am looking to get a snorkel for my 2013 JK and I wanted to get peoples opinions of the various snorkels out there.

I am looking at the ARB, AEV, and Rugged Ridge. I am sorry I don't have pictures to link, currently deployed.

If anyone else has any makes or opinions I would love to have a discussion about this.

Thanks!

-Dave

jaxs1984

Adventurer
I currently don't have one but constantly toy with the idea. It ends up with how much $ you want to spend. I think the best "looking" one is the AEV w/AEV hood but that is pretty pricey. Also the AEV one is the easiest to install if you just cut the hood. Also, a company called RiverRaider makes one http://www.riverraider.com/store/JK-Cast-Snorkel.

I don't know which one is technically better.

Septu

Explorer
I currently don't have one but constantly toy with the idea. It ends up with how much $ you want to spend. I think the best "looking" one is the AEV w/AEV hood but that is pretty pricey. Also the AEV one is the easiest to install if you just cut the hood. Also, a company called RiverRaider makes one http://www.riverraider.com/store/JK-Cast-Snorkel.

I don't know which one is technically better.

I have the AEV with the stock hood. However I couldn't bring myself to cut the hood (had all the tools laid out... just couldn't do it). So I paid a shop to do it (my friend works there and did a good clean job). Looks bad ***.

Only concern between that or the RR is what you want to do for a rack. The two racks I've been going back and forth on will both work with the AEV snorkel.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I have the Rugged Ridge and I am pretty happy with it. The install can be a real PIA, but it looks decent and functions well in the end. In the event you decide to remove it a bracket is provided to reattach the cowl piece for a completely stock appearance. I would buy it again.

I stupidly did the install completely on my own. You will want to have buddy or your wife available to help you with a few steps; it will make it significantly easier.

The good:
*I works as intended
*Modular- you can go low profile and not attract attention if need be or personal preference dictates
*Can return to stock without have to replace body parts
*Affordable
*Clean look; no exterior plumbing
*Inboard mounting makes it less prone to snags

The bad:
*Replacement air box top has the worst clip design ever. It functional and secure, but God help you if you had to do a filter change in the field (not sure why if installed correctly) and you dropped one of them.
*Limits roof rack selection to Gobi, Rugged Ridge Sherpa, or Front Runner and possibly Body Armor
*Must use low mount (non-periscope) if you want to have passenger side cowl mounted light.
*Replacing the right side wiper can be a challenge. It has clearance to function but cit doesn't pull away easily. Something to think about if you live in a colder climate where you pull your wipers away.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_g

Yeah my mistake, I typed Rugged Ridge, but I meant River Raider. I have emailed Gobi, which is the rack I am putting on in the next month or so and they said they work with both AEV and ARB snorkels. Septu... I was thinking the same thing! I have drilled holes and modified plastic on the dash, I just don't know if I want to drill a huge hole my self. Going to have to get a body shop to do it.

Dave_g

Yarjammer,
My only concerns with the River Raider is that it goes right threw the battery area, which means I will not be able to run a Genesis or MORE double battery set up. I have contacted Genesis and confirmed that ARB and AEV work on that front because they go outside the hood, or under the batteries.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
The Rugged Ridge goes inbetween the fender panel and the inner fixed structure. I don't see any reason why you'd have a problem with going dual battery with it. I can snap a pic or two if you are curious. It seems like you're more interested in the external/outboard mount though. To be honest, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. It really comes down to personal preference.

Dave_g

Hit me with some pic man, My wife likes the look on the ARB, and hates the plastic outside of the AEV. As long as I have room for the double battery and she likes the way it looks I am game.

dugedug

I have the Rugged Ridge and I am pretty happy with it. The install can be a real PIA, but it looks decent and functions well in the end. In the event you decide to remove it a bracket is provided to reattach the cowl piece for a completely stock appearance. I would buy it again.

The bad:
*Replacement air box top has the worst clip design ever. It functional and secure, but God help you if you had to do a filter change in the field (not sure why if installed correctly) and you dropped one of them.
*Limits roof rack selection to Gobi, Rugged Ridge Sherpa, or Front Runner and possibly Body Armor
*Must use low mount (non-periscope) if you want to have passenger side cowl mounted light.
*Replacing the right side wiper can be a challenge. It has clearance to function but it doesn't pull away easily. Something to think about if you live in a colder climate where you pull your wipers away.

I'll echo everything Yarjammer said. I believe it to be the best setup out there, but it has some drawbacks (i.e. "the bad").

steve_r2

AEV for me...the newer one is larger (internal diameter) so theoretically more air draw. I have mine with the pre filter so very happy with it. Had already cut into the bonnet (hood) to fit Poison Spyder Hood Louvres so fitting the AEV was no big chore....measure twice cut once etc.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I have the AEV, the biggest downside is that everything on the trail hits it - it really is in the way. If I did it all over again (and I may someday) I'd seriously look at this one:

http://www.riverraider.com/store/JK-Expedition-Snorkel

There may be issues with a dual battery tray, but it is the only one out of the way. The Rugged Ridge is plain ugly, IMHO, though it is a clever design.

Last edited:

IKE2013

Observer
Did the snorkel myself, after months of balling up to cut the hood on a Jeep with only 10k miles. But I did and was worth every penny. It is nice to just not have to worry about the airbox and water. So far the design works well.. I added a RR lightbar, it fit with the snorkel by adding a spacer to push it out a tad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online