Just another JKU Overland build

CFD614

So my Jeep build started a few years ago little by little (this is my first Jeep) and I wish that I had written about the journey to how it sits now. But anyways Ill start with my current project that I am working on. It is a rear cargo drawer system that includes a ARB fridge and slide that I am trying to build and then test for my groups big trek of the year, this year to Canada! with 2180miles custom '17WK2 trailhawk...his build is a must see as well

First things first I started out by researching everything I could find on drawer systems out there for JKs, I did want to spend the $$ so I figured I would build my own after seeing multiple people accomplish the task... So after I removed the rear subwoofer to gain more space in the back. After taking countless measurements I went to my local Home Depot and picked up two 4x8 sheets of 3/4 plywood. I'm not sure if its cabinet grade or not but its not the cheapest stuff either. Not being a carpenter I had to borrow a lot of tools from friends and family to get this project done. So for the sake of making it easy on me I had the guy at Home Depot cut one of the sheets into pieces that I needed and worked out fairly well.

After getting the material home I mocked up the base plate with the ARB 50 quart fridge and ARB slide. I wanted the fridge on the left hand side as it would be easier to access the fridge from that side with the tailgate open and me still being hooked up to my custom M416 overland trailer I camp with.

My measurements for the base of the drawer system is 38"x 30"

35404994982_449c53ca19_o.jpg

I debated for a long time how I would build the drawers and then if I wanted to build a frame around the fridge so it wouldn't get damaged from gear being tossed around. But I choose to go with the frame, I did not have big enough cardboard lying around so I went to staples and got a small sheet of foam board to make my own template of the walls and to get both angles cut right. Below is the two walls that will go around the fridge. These will have ventilation holes for heat from the fridge motor.
ARB2.jpg
ARB3.jpg

More to follow!

HAFICON

Adventurer
Love this stuff.. I was about to post up about an ARB fridge and searched found this... Couple questions?

Is the 50qt fridge big enough to suite 4-5 days of food 1 maybe 2 people. All excess will be stored in the ice chest in my trailer.

I was going to ask about fitment but like someone said it looks as if the 50qt was designed for the JKU. Can you tell me right off about how much you can pack in it? I am wondering if I should do the next size up?

Best price so far on the 50QT I have got is $790 Free shipping, is that a good price?

Thanks
James Blue

rubicon91

Explorer
Love this stuff.. I was about to post up about an ARB fridge and searched found this... Couple questions?

Is the 50qt fridge big enough to suite 4-5 days of food 1 maybe 2 people. All excess will be stored in the ice chest in my trailer.

I was going to ask about fitment but like someone said it looks as if the 50qt was designed for the JKU. Can you tell me right off about how much you can pack in it? I am wondering if I should do the next size up?

Best price so far on the 50QT I have got is $790 Free shipping, is that a good price?

Thanks
James Blue
4-5 days for sure. Your biggest issue is drinks. As long as you take one out put one in you are fine. Or I have a dedicated canyon cooler for my beer and other drinks. I did a 3 day not too long ago and only used the 50qt and had so much room and extra food left over and used it for my beer also. The next size up is too big for the rear of the Jeep without having to turn it or maybe use it from the back seat. The 50qt fits like a glove in the rear of a jku. As far has how much you can fit in it imagine 72 cans of drinks. That is what they say fit inside the 50qt. I just transported 13 bottles of wine from one place to another inside it with no issues and plenty of room to spare. Hope that helps some.

That also is a pretty good price. Outside of finding a special deal happening at a particular time I don't see them much lower. I feel mine is one of the top purchases for my Jeep I have done. Good luck on your decision. A couple pics for you to see. The TF shelf is set at its highest setting to fit over the 50qt.
fd6c264f2c67b30a68a1ea85934b4ef8.jpg
4cf0d56b6bda9576426150c84158e475.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DblD

Adventurer
Howdy Fellas,

I bought a 2017 JK 4 Door in May. One of the first changes I made was a modification to the backseat that reclined it back a couple inches.
How much space is there between the back door and fridge? I wonder if I've screwed myself out of being able to fit a fridge between the backseat
and back door?

Thanks.
dd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1