Leveling

gregdee

I've owned a slide-in truck camper for about 3 years now. I have a Hallmark Ute XS in a Dodge RAM 2500 quad cab. I love the ability to go anywhere and camp anywhere but the set-up time once I get to camp is not instant. At the Overland Expo in 2012 I hung out at the SMB booth for a few hours and witnessed the setup. Basically swivel around in your chair, push a button and watch the roof go up, then slide to the back, open the doors and throw out the door mat. Done. I wanted a SMB before but didn't do it due to cost. Thought it prudent to live the lifestyle for a while first. I'm an avid mountain biker and camp all over the 4 corner states so I am definitely using it. But once I find a suitable site, put the feet down, pop the top, and put on the steps it's easily 10 minutes. And I had to do this in the rain the other night. So obviously the SMB is easier/quicker from a setup point of view but one question that's been eating at me for a while now is how do you level a SMB, or even a Sprinter for that matter? I've yet to camp on level ground except perhaps at a formal campground - very rare. On my camper I have remote operated Happy Jack's so I can sit inside the camper with a level and get the camper perfectly flat pushing buttons on a remote. What do you do in a SMB? Dig holes or use boards/ramps under the tires? Anything more sophisticated out there?

medicfernando

Adventurer
Hello and good question. I carry RV leveling blocks and they seem to do the trick. We only level if the ground is significantly off level. The vehicle doesnt have to be level for the fridge to work and it needs to be quite a bit off to make sleeping unconfortable. I have a bubble level on the side door and one on the back door and just try to keep it close not perfect. I agree that part of the appeal of the SMB is the super quick setup. And if it raining, you do not even need to get out of the van to setup. We went from a pop-up trailer to an SMB and the difference on many levels is huge, especially setup. Cheers, Fernando

robgendreau

Explorer
I dunno if it's that much different from your current rig, but I guess with the height of a camper you have to be more concerned about it. My van is 4x4 and frankly I don't bother much. I try to park so that the passenger side and rear is higher, but that's mostly because I like to sleep head high. But I can always sleep with my head on the other end so it doesn't matter much. I have one of those curving chock-like thingees you get at RV stores so I can lift a corner several inches and I use that, but rarely. Doubles as a chock and to lift to get under things. Or a rock or two if the sidehill is real bad. But unless the beer won't stay in the glass it isn't too worrisome.

And BTW, I had the small rear camper thing going in small trucks before I got a van. I'll never go back. Seems like a small thing having to exit and get in the back, but something about the van and having it all there is fantastic. And take a look at used SMBs...they're the best deals going right now if you can't afford a full bore SMB build. SMB has lots of used listings.

gregdee

So now that I think about it some, we used to sleep in the back of the Tundra just fine and never really worried about leveling that. Guess leveling isn't that big of a deal after all. Just because I can doesn't mean I have to.

Still very much on the fence with the SMB option though. I have more livable space in my camper and the things you can do to a RAM2500 diesel are endless in terms of suspension mods and engine tuning. In the camper I have a 3 burner stove and an oven so we can make pizza.:) How many of you SMBers can say that? I'm at the point where I'll own the thing outright in another few months and then with a few $k more I can finish off the rig with bumpers, a winch, light bars, and then get on with tuning the engine. Seems a bit silly to throw that all out and start over just so I don't have to setup the camper in the rain. Around here rain is cause for celebration. Heck if I really wanted I could always just climb through the back window:Wow1: if the weather was bad enough.

Besides, I also spend a fair number of long weekends adventuring on the moto and sleeping in a tent so it's not like the SMB would be my only toy.

I love getting out there, camping where few others go, and riding great trails right from camp. I have also learned that it has to be partly about the journey, not just the destination, because I spend so much time traveling. And I think this is one big reason why I've turned to adventure motorcycling. If you've only got 3 days and you'd spend two of those on the road anyway, might as well really enjoy the ride, no?

I suppose I am in a good place. Many aren't so lucky to have such a predicament: start over with an SMB or stick it out with the current rig. Thinking right now is to get another 5 or so years out of my investment and wait for the 4wd Sprinters to really get rolling. But my mind flip flops every day...

davebsmb

Sounds like you're fairly happy with what you have now and if the camper has more room you'll probably miss that. I feel my SMB is much better suited of rougher terrain than my lifted 4x4 Chevy pickup, but you can build up anything to handle what you want. Being the EB-50 has ample room in the back and being I sleep up top, the SMB was a perfect choice for me over a camper. I don't have to move anything when pulling into camp except grabbing a pillow and maybe a few garments for the night. As far as leveling, I've never carried blocks because most of the time I can put it where I want plus there are usually plenty of rocks around. I like to be level side to side but want to sleep with my feet lower. I would like to carry a set of blocks one of these days if I can justify the space to store em. It's campgrounds that pose a problem with leveling. One issue with many campers are those with a rear entrance only door. There are quite a few SMB owners that haul their dirt bikes on the back bumper which can be a slight advantage to a van.
I almost bought a pop up camper but knew once the camper was on it was there to stay. I really didn't want two pickups and need a pickup for hauling stuff. Wise move with my money? All I can say is I would do it again. YMMV.

Dave

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah there are doffs but not huge. And it depends what you like; a huge incentive for me & SMB was customization; couldn't find as much with campers at that time. I did not want ovens or even built in stoves, but did want more window, less height, etc. sounds like you don't want any change other than the entrance and that isn't much of a reason to change now.

davidv

Observer
gregdee,

I also own a Halmark on a big diesal pick-up and go back and forth weekly if a should trade it in for a sportsmobile. I'll try to keep this about leveling and not an SMB vs. pop up truck camper hijack but it could happen.

When I first put my camper on my 08 F250 the rear end dropped about 3 inches just bairly loading the overload springs giving the truck a horrible ride and a poor stance.

I added ride rite air bags with in cab controller and a viair compressor with a tank that is also controlled from inside the cab. When I pull into camp as long as the rear of the camper is high (if its not I turn around) let air out of the right or left bag or both until I'm level. If it's too far to go I add some rv leveling blocks under a tire and fine tune with the airbags. We like to cook (more like heat and boil) inside if the weather is rough or we get to camp after dark. If the camper is nice and level this is a lot easier. Also the kids share a bunk and if we are on a slope and one kid is rolling onto the other in the middle of the night our sleep will be cut short by squabbling.

The air bags are with out question the best accessory I've ever installed on a vehicle. Beyond the leveling I will inflate them to max pressure on a twisty road and they work to lesson the roll of the rig or soften them up on the wash boards for a better ride.

I've spoken with Johny at sportsmobile and they currently don't recommend the use of airbags. He said that they had some challenges with the airbag transferring shock directly into the cabin and causing some damage (I believe it was a Mercedes this happened to). Also because the SMB is set up specifically for the weight of the conversion you don't have the rear sag you do with a truck and a possible compromise of the handling .

I don't know if setting up an SMB the way many of the earthroamer are set up with airbags at each corner and an auto leveling system is possible, but to me that would be ideal.

The quick set up of the SMB is very appealing. We live in the Bay Area and like to make our way out to Wyoming and Montana which can be a long haul with 2 kids. We frequently drive into the night until we're tired, look for a dirt track that gets us far enough out of the way for a little privacy to camp and be back on the road before the sun is up. To be able to set up and never get out of the van would be ideal in this situation. I also consider the possibity of driving while the kids sleep on gaucho with lap belts over their sleeping bags. I haven't decides if that meets my safety requirements or not. The idea of leaving at 4 am with kiddos fast asleep, have them microwave a breakfast burrito while in motion at 8, make a few gas and bio breaks and knock out 8 hours of driving before noon is very appealing.

One of the main advantages often discussed of a truck camper (hijack territory I know) is that you have a truck when the camper is not in use. I think this is a way over estimated advantage. My truck has a 6 1/2 foot bed that sits 3 1/2 feet in the air. I have to pick a fridge up this weekend and am dreading dragging it up into the back of the bed. On the flip side I owned a big tex utility trailer that cost $2500 bucks; the cost an alluminess bumper to put it in perspective. It was easy to load and unlike a $50,000 truck you don't care what happens to it when your loading debri for the dump.

With the SMB you have an SUV when not heading out overnight which to me is a lot more useful. We envision using the van for a lot for day trips. Heading to the beach with beverages and sandwiches in the fridge and a hot outside shower to wash of the salt and sand. I guess you could load up and do that with the truck camper but it doesn't seem to happen.

The only 2 things holding me back from placing an order for an SMB today is being convinced that a family of 4 can travel comfortably for a week or 2 in it and if it would be smarter to wait for the transit to roll out.

Last edited:

davebsmb

I've had air bags on my van since almost new. It wasn't the air bags that caused the stiff shutter, it was the springs and shocks. I don't know if SMB resolved the rear sag that many EB SMB's were prone to but at least with my 2006 it sat low in the rear and was a common problem with some of the pre 08 vans. At first I added an extra leaf then the air bags. Other than cornering I couldn't tell is there was air in them or not. I added Deaver springs and the ride improved so much it was unreal. I thought putting the bags back on would ruin the ride but took a chance and I'm glad I did. I can hardly tell any difference except cornering improved. It only will raise the tail about 4 inches and actually that is usually not enough to do anything for leveling. With the bags I have, putting them on the front would defeat the purpose of the front sway bar disconnects. I'm guessing each van is unique and reacts differently to a harsh ride partially with respect to their weight. Like I already posted, I can usually find a somewhat level area to park and leveling isn't an issue for me.

CSG

Explorer
I've had both a truck camper and camping van (not SMB). For both, we used little yellow lego style blocks to level. Easy, quick, cheap.

Between the two styles, I much prefer the van for all the reasons other van owners have posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online