M416: Rebuild axle bearings or new axle?

voodoojk

Adventurer
I am getting ready to build my 416 and i was all set on getting a new axle to replace the OEM axle with blown wheel bearings. Got to thinking if it worth saving the axle and rebuilding the bearings are staying with my plan of getting the new axle? If i rebuild then i need to buy spacers/adapters too.

New axle or rebuild wheel bearings? ( are they available still?)

thanks eveyone!

max.powerzz

Observer
I have the same question, I just picked up a trailer as well. What will you be pulling it with? I'll be pulling mine with a Land Cruiser and want to at least get matching Toyota Hubs so I can use the trailer tires as spares in an emergency.

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Rebuilding the bearings (don't forget the races) isn't too bad. Requires a larger socket than typical, can't recall what size. Parts are available from NAPA, just have to google for part numbers. I should have around here somewhere, but it's been a while so make take time to locate. Essentially, you're making a investment in maintaining one or the other over time. I ended up swapping my axle, one advantage is that I can now run a standard Bearing Buddy as the newer axles are compatible. Still missing that parking brake... :)

voodoojk

Adventurer
the parking brake is a really cool feature..it would be nice to have it still but then again i dont want to spend a week sitting in grease pile rebuilding bearings:Wow1: lol

can you get a new axle with a parking brake?? That be sweet!!

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
You can get axles with brakes, but I couldn't find one with a parking brake. This may have been more of a limitation of my ability to know what I needed, rather than whether it was available.
Depending on whether you buy an axle with the hubs installed or a DIY set of parts, you may still get greasy! Locally, it was a lot cheaper to buy the parts separate. You can buy a little cone shaped gizmo that lets you pump grease into the bearings without making too much of a mess.

Our_Rubi

Hate to thread jack on my first post but I need some input. I purchased an m416 a few weeks ago I should have it back from sand blasting tomorrow and will be able to finish measuring the leaf springs so I can order and new axle from abc trailers in Alabama. I'll be towing with a 03 jeep wrangler and wanted the wheels to match so I cancelled my wheel adapters and decided a new axle is a better idea since it will only run about $200 shipped and lug pattern will match. I think I need a SOA to accomedate 33" tires but not sure if that would work best or if I ordered lifted springs and longer shocks or the SOA and if I decide on "lifted" leafs how do I match the right ones and or the right shocks? Any ideas? Thanks!

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I ended up doing the SOA on mine to give it roughly the same ride height as the YJ (lifted 3.5"). Can't speak to the springs question, and I still have yet to install shocks after the SOA. You'll have to measure and see what works best for you.
I will warn you that the SOA can lead down a path... see my build thread for the rest of the story!

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I will chime in with my 2 cents on this.

I kept my axle but the pattern (5 x 5.5) matches my CJ so I am lucky. I love the e-brake on the trailer. Packing the bearings is no big deal, as said earlier they are easy to find. Punched out bearings and races and replaced in a couple of hours. Borrowed a bearing grease packer from auto shop for an hour and it was easy.

I also did a SOA so I could run 33's on mine as well. Used NOS springs and changed shocks. I measured compression and extension and found a shock in the range and went with it.

All seems to be OK so far. Here is link to thread with pictures in case that helps.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/66531-M416-Build-to-go-behind-my-CJ

voodoojk

Adventurer
I will chime in with my 2 cents on this.

I kept my axle but the pattern (5 x 5.5) matches my CJ so I am lucky. I love the e-brake on the trailer. Packing the bearings is no big deal, as said earlier they are easy to find. Punched out bearings and races and replaced in a couple of hours. Borrowed a bearing grease packer from auto shop for an hour and it was easy.

I also did a SOA so I could run 33's on mine as well. Used NOS springs and changed shocks. I measured compression and extension and found a shock in the range and went with it.

All seems to be OK so far. Here is link to thread with pictures in case that helps.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/66531-M416-Build-to-go-behind-my-CJ

love your trailer and the rear bumper! Ill take one if your ever making them again. haha so for the axle parts, where do i look for new stuff? I am a autoparts manager for a dealership but telling the car quest yahoos what i need will prove to be another task without exact spec.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have restored 3 military trailers (2 M100's and an M416). It was not difficult to find replacement race/bearings for it. If you love the parking brake, this is the cheapest way to correct the bearing issue and keep the parking brake. I have seen somewhere here or on MUD, that there is an axle with both brakes and a manual parking brake set up, but it is rather expensive (over $300 if I remember correctly). The race/bearings will only cost you $30-50 depending where you buy and shipping. Good luck

95RRC

Adventurer
Flyfishjeep - do you have any websites/links or information on where to get races & bearings and other parts for the M416? THat would be cool to post up. CHEERS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1