My '91 'burb from sunny SoCal

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Well, I sold the 45k mile '84, and the kids haven't stopped crying yet. So, after a few months of searching, I found a '91 V2500 w/ 115k and only two owners from San Jose, Ca. She had just had a rebuilt tranny, fresh brakes, and was a DD for owner #2. I flew out, and drove her cross country, sans a/c, but only needed a charge. I fixed the driver side mirror- new glass, added a rear view mirror, had the front two windows tinted to match the rest of the truck and that was it cosmeticly. Then I fit a set of 255/85-16 KM1s, and added the rear hitch/spare mount from Tiregate. All good tire wise. I had bought a pair of tan Escalade leather seats for the first 'burb that never got installed. So, modified the brackets to fit, utilizing the manual slide and the power options including heated seats- wife happy, check. Next is a complete tune up and fluid changes, including a nonrestrictive air cleaner and a set of SS headers to help fuel milage- which averaged 17.2mpg cross country!! I also have a set of HD Warn hubs to fit.
Then the questions begin... Do I lift it to fit a set of 35s, say a 2"? This would also provide new bushings, fresh springs and shocks. So, gotta decide, stock or +2". Then I need the steering brace fix and possibly crossover steering, but have to decide lift question first. Also, the crossover requires a new PS box and lift to fit correctly. I am trying hard to avoid major lift, so 2" max, as she is great as she is, and gets decent fuel milage- which I do not want to upset. The headers and hubs should gain another 2mpg +/-. Now bear in mind I have a set of 35" BFG A/Ts and several H2 stock wheels, so no added expense there. And the current 255s could go back on the Rover where they belong. Is that enough rationalizing yet???
We just got a new Jumping Jack trailer, so the interior build can be much simpler. The stereo and additional power points go in week after next. All in all, a fun reliable do-it-all truck with utmost reliability and simplicity- 350 SBC w/ Tbi and OD auto. I really do not want to get into gears/lockers/etc as she is for traveling and camping and exploring- too big for the tight east coast trails, and the Rover handles those.

Comments and thoughts appreciated. Cheers all...front pass orig.JPGfront seats new.JPGinterior orig.JPGrear orig.JPG

if you had a 91 3/4 ton burb on 35's towing a jumping jack i would give you one million dollars for it! i would like to see pictures when you get done.

i would do the 2" suspension and 35's tomorrow and be done. a small lift and 35's on a sub just looks right.

Stoney126

Adventurer
Crossover steering will negate the use of a sway bar, which I think would be a big negative for a burb. Depending on how much articulation your looking at and how much fender your willing to trim I would say a 2 inch is the minimum.

zukrider

Explorer
Crossover steering will negate the use of a sway bar, which I think would be a big negative for a burb. Depending on how much articulation your looking at and how much fender your willing to trim I would say a 2 inch is the minimum.

why does it negate a sway bar? that does not make any sense to me.

How do you like the Hitchgate? I've been thinking about one for my Suburban, but wanted to get a review from someone I could consider "reliable", and you fit well into that category!

Spur

Adventurer
Cool truck. Like the seats.

I could be wrong, but I believe a 2" lift would allow for 35s fine. You might even be able to fit them without a lift if you want to chop your fenders.

My lift was 4" at the beginning and required a tiny bit of fender trimming to fit 37s up front. Now the front is more like 5 to 6 (because National screwed up) and it has plenty of room, even with my big chains. The rear is still 4" (getting new custom Alcans put in right now) and a 37 fits with no cutting. In the end I'm glad I have the extra lift because I might want to go to a true 37" in the future, i.e. Toyo. BFG is like 36.5"

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
ummm, glad it doesn't have the million dollar barn doors, as she would have to be a poesur then:) I like the tailgate, but the barn doors would not have ruled her out...

I would also like more info on the sway/lift issue please...

Love the tire gate, but then again, I have an affinity for a tailgate too. But it works great, plenty strong, and no rattles. Also has spot for a hi-lift. Well pleased here. And frres up a ton of space for second battery, sub, etc.

Thanks on the seats, worried me a bit on matching, until sitting in them vs. the originals- what a difference!! Might sleep in there vs. the JJ :)

I really like the 37s as well and have them on the PW and 250, but do want to keep this more family friendly: 5'-3" wife and a 4,6yo, and a 6', 21 yo daughter. However, the truck is a bit too nice to start cutting. The 255/85s (33.3") fit perfect with 110+k mi saggy springs, but 285s touch just a touch at full lock, so the width of the 35s worries me a bit. But then again, 35s on black H2 wheels could be sharp me thinks.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Sock Puppet!!

mr250twostroke, I tend to agree on leaving it, except the goal would be to tighten up the steering a bit. Considering crossover with PSC reman box, 2" lift w/ 35s, and even replacing the steering column to eliminate the rag joint and go U jts. The logic also includes new bushings at all the springs, and new shocks- most likely Bilstein 5100s. As you say, not looking for any major flex, just tightening it all up. Thanks

zukrider

Explorer
having crossover does not "require" a sway bar though. i agree you cant have both. but with stock length/width front springs, there is really no need for the sway bar, even with a lift. some feel one is necessary for a 52 or 56 swap up front, but not required. i agree to go crossover as it is a better setup all around.

Spur

Adventurer
Thanks Sock Puppet!!

mr250twostroke, I tend to agree on leaving it, except the goal would be to tighten up the steering a bit. Considering crossover with PSC reman box, 2" lift w/ 35s, and even replacing the steering column to eliminate the rag joint and go U jts. The logic also includes new bushings at all the springs, and new shocks- most likely Bilstein 5100s. As you say, not looking for any major flex, just tightening it all up. Thanks

Thats a good plan and includes a lot of what I did. Crossover steering, PSC box, dont forget the braces. I didn't replace the steering column but I do have a new rag joint. If the new rag joint didn't solve the slop then I was going to get a new column. Glad the new rag joint was a big improvement and i didnt have to shell out the cash for a new column.

Initially I had major problems with death wobble, but that was due to the Tuff Country springs being way underrated for my weight. New springs, King Shocks and a Bilstein steering stabilizer makes it drive like a Ferrari. Well, more like a dump truck than a Ferrari, but it's safe and manageable at 70 on the highway now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk