My 95 Cummins Expedition project

CumminAlong

Observer
Hey guys,
Let me go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Ian, I live in California right now (planning a move to Bend, OR in June however) and I've got this 95 Dodge. I knew what I wanted- and I found it up in Central Point, OR. She's a Ram 2500 with the 12 valve Cummins backed by a NV4500, 241DLD and a Dana 80 limited slip rear, 60 front with 3.54s. I bought the truck bone stock with 198k in late July, and it's got 206k now. I have big plans for the truck but have no way of telling when everything will happen.
Sofar I put a 4" straightpipe on it, left the last section of the exhaust so it dumps out behind the rear axle, figured it wouldn't get crushed as easily like that. Also a big ***** air filter, fuel plate from a 195hp truck (mine's a 175) slid about 3/4 way forward and KDP fixed. She's a good runner but the injectors need serviced soon. The truck is my daily driver, offroad proejct, work truck, etc etc.

I am building it to do it all, so I can't go too extreme in any aspect. I have a 3" lift with coils (not spacers), new shocks, longer link arms in the front and add-a-leafs in the rear sitting in the garage. I ordered some 37" Goodyear military tires mounted on recentered humvee beadlocks from trailworthyfab.com. I got a 3.5" backspacing with pressed centers. I also got a matching spare, as well as there Primo tire option which are 95% plus with no visible weather cracking. I've waited 6 weeks for the wheels and tires so far...:Wow1: and really hope they'll show up soon. I also got a camper shell for free (even with a carpeted inside liner!) for free, too. I wanted one with the dual barn doors, but hey, the price was right. I also scored a harbor freight :wings: 12k winch and a wireless controller for $200 NIB from a parking lot sale. I've had good luck with their winches so far, I have a 8k on my land cruiser which has worked well, aside from the switch control being complete crap! So i will build a better controller if needed.

My plans for the truck are as follows: 4:10 regear, ARB lockers front & rear, onboard air, southbend clutch, custom front & rear bumpers (mimicking ARB style I think) with a swing-away spare carrier on the rear. Also, rock sliders, snorkel, 8" lift leafs in the rear to eliminate the 5" block, cut fenders, ARB fridge to replace center console, large drawer area in the bed with a (sleeping) bed on top, carpeted bed liner for insulation, mechanical 4wd conversion, possible D60 kingpin front swap with leafs and manual hubs if money permits, and that should about do it.

Also, I need a tailgate for this thing. The PO dropped a heavy pipe on it which bent the tailgate and doesn't allow my hatch for my shell to close all the way and lock. If anyone's got a good WHITE one for sale, I'll buy it!

Oh yeah, pics!

photo1_zpscac2a86b.jpg

photo2_zps904848fe.jpg

photo3_zps34900bd6.jpg

photo4_zps59345162.jpg

CumminAlong

Observer
Oh, I just got off the phone with Andy @ trailworthyfab, and he says there was a mixup with my wheels at powder coat, and that the new ones were finished on Thursday. He also said the goodyear MT military tires I had ordered he couldn't even get any more so he's giving me a free upgrade to Goodyear MT-Rs with Kevlar! I'm stoked, and a huge thanks to Andy!

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Nice truck!

I'm just up the 101 in Ojai

there is a GemTop camper shell on ventura craigslist, with dual barn doors, white, 8' for $850(ouch!)

i'm keeping my eyes open for an 8' fiberglass shell, if you decide to get rid of yours.

where do you wheel/camp?

Lance

ExpoMike

Welcome to ExPo. Always nice to have another Cummins rig build up done... but I might be a little bias. :D

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to Expo Ian! You have a great truck there and your plans for upgrades look pretty:Wow1: extensive! You have done the right thing by posting pics, as we all LOVE LOTS OF PICS! But be carefull, some guys I know would rather sleep with their Cummins then with their wifes:Wow1:.... Cheers Chilli...:)

CumminAlong

Observer
Nice truck!

I'm just up the 101 in Ojai

there is a GemTop camper shell on ventura craigslist, with dual barn doors, white, 8' for $850(ouch!)

i'm keeping my eyes open for an 8' fiberglass shell, if you decide to get rid of yours.

where do you wheel/camp?

Lance

Nice to know you're local! :sombrero: I'll check that camper out. If I'm gonna spend $850 I'm going to be picky about what I spend it on! I'll let mine go for $250 if I get the one you mentioned, but keep in mind the clearcoat is peeling off mine. I generally drive up to OR and wheel up there, however I do enjoy going up to butte valley in death valley and spending some time in the cabins up there. I used to go up every year for new years, but since my Dad moved away I no longer do.

Welcome to ExPo. Always nice to have another Cummins rig build up done... but I might be a little bias. :D

Thanks! Well, there's a reason I'm using a Cummins and not a duramax or a powerstroke!

Welcome and nice truck! :bike_rider:

Thanks!

Welcome to Expo Ian! You have a great truck there and your plans for upgrades look pretty:Wow1: extensive! You have done the right thing by posting pics, as we all LOVE LOTS OF PICS! But be carefull, some guys I know would rather sleep with their Cummins then with their wifes:Wow1:.... Cheers Chilli...:)

Thanks! Yeah, that would be my dream rig. I'm curious myself to see how far I'll get through my list before I'm satisfied. But hey, no woman makes sleeping with my Cummins just that much easier! :elkgrin:

gsanders

Observer
Hey nice truck. I live in central Oregon and I also just purchased a CTD. Great trucks, I love mine so far. You can see a pic or two of it here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ize-pictures?p=1181832&highlight=#post1181832. I am working on getting the topper in working order and sleepable this week to be ready for hunting season, and then hopefully over the winter some painting. I just replaced the lift pump with an Airdog Raptor (I have a 2001 24v, you should be great with the 12v and the P-pump). Have fun with the build! If you are coming up to Oregon let me know.

CumminAlong

Observer
Thanks for the kind words gsanders! I may be up there this winter, probably early January...I may say hello! :sombrero:

Little update for y'all: the 3" Rough country lift is in...on the front. I ran out of patience and daylight yesterday after spending 2 hours scratching my head trying to figure out why the included track bar bracket wouldn't fit, and eventually making my own. But the front end is complete and I have that "awesome" prerunner stance right now. Can't wait for it to be level. The new beadlocks and tires will be here Wednesday, so expect pics then!! I'd like to get some custom Alcans made for the rear and ditch the 5" block rather than install the overload from rough country.

That's it for now! I'd get some pics but it's dark out now.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
what came in the rough country kit?

i bought a partial kit(from a guy in TO actually) on craigslist he had taken the front springs and shocks.
i have the 4 control arms, all the hardware and the sway bar drop bracket.

I only have a 2" leveling spacer in the front, but i mainly wanted the arms so i could center the front axle in the wheel wells.

did you get a whole new trac bar? or just a lowering bracket? how did the install go? did you align it yourself? id like to put the control arms on, but these dodge front ends can be tricky. mine drives fine right now, i'm a little nervous that changing the arms will open a can of worms.

oh yea, and PICS!!

blakeape

Adventurer
Might want to look into Alcan's reputation, I personally had a bad experience in the past.
I'd give National spring a call if I were you,and yes lets see some pics!

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Great truck there because its a Cummins you can get away w/taller gears with all that torque that is available down low. As for your injectors I suggest running 2 stroke oil in your diesel at a 2oz to 1gal ratio and see if you really need injector service. The low sulfur diesel is not the best in older diesels so the 2 stroke which is normally a 1oz to 1gal ratio. An HX40 is another good mod for that diesel.

Good luck with it!

ExpoMike

I have been very happy with my National Springs. Getting rid of the factory lift blocks took care of the wheel hop in soft/sand conditions and on the road it rides like a Caddy.

Be gone lift blocks!!!

PICT6178.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1