Need ideas to carry motorcycle and bikes at speed. Off-road capable.

jagarcia89

I just picked up a husqvarna 701 enduro and would love to take it on trips with my Ram TRX and Ovrlnd camper.

I think a hatch carrier will be a bit too in the way given how often I swing out our bike rack.

So I’m thinking I’d like a small trailer, that can carry the moto, a couple eMTBs and maybe a little bit of gear. I’d like something capable of minor off-road but almost more importantly, ability to be towed at freeway speeds. Because if we’re honest, we spend a lot of time on highways before we get to the fun stuff. IMG_1458.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8237.jpeg
    IMG_8237.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

jagarcia89

IMO, only idiots tow trailers at 80+mph, or is that KMs?
That’s the difference between a small trailer not meant for speed and one that is. My tandem axle hauler goes 80 no problem. As do other larger trailers. But the common small 4x8 utility trailers one 13” tires I wouldn’t.

I guess the exact speed isn’t as important as the fact I don’t want a trailer that limits me to 55 on the interstate. Plenty of trailers can be towed at highway speeds, that’s what I am looking for.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
So long as you stick to a proper axle... being 5-lug and at least 15" wheels, the only thing limiting you to any speed will be local laws.

There are only a handful of states that limit trailer towing anymore.

jagarcia89

So long as you stick to a proper axle... being 5-lug and at least 15" wheels, the only thing limiting you to any speed will be local laws.

There are only a handful of states that limit trailer towing anymore.

That's what I am looking for. Every in market trailer I can find has 13-15" tires. I can't seem to find anything that rides on a proper axle with suspension on a larger tire.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Mind posting a trailer tire rated for 80 + mph.......

When you see a speed limit sign that says, "Trailers 55" it doesn't matter what trailer you have.

Exactly what is a "proper axel with a suspension" ?

Hope you aren't next to me when you have a blowout!

crazysccrmd

Observer
Most 15” and larger trailer tires are M or N rated (81 or 87mph). Not ideal towing that quickly if something goes wrong but the tires can handle it.

Mind posting a trailer tire rated for 80 + mph.......

When you see a speed limit sign that says, "Trailers 55" it doesn't matter what trailer you have.

Exactly what is a "proper axel with a suspension" ?

Hope you aren't next to me when you have a blowout!
I don't come on here much, but you seem to post a lot of confrontational nonsense.
You don't have to run trailer tires on every trailer. Don't have a pic of my trailer handy, but I run BFG KO2 in this size. Would work perfect in the OP's search for a motorcycle trailer.

LT235/75R15/C. Speed Rating S or 112 mph, Max Load 1985 lbs.​

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Huh. Never thought to check the speed rating on my travel trailer tires. Just figured they would've been rated to do highway speeds.
I've towed my holiday trailer doing 70 mph several times.

To stay on topic, when I picked up my Norden in Feb, I used a U-haul motorcycle trailer and drove the 1.5 hours home doing 70 - 75...

Norden 2.jpg

Here's another shot with my old VStrom which was traded for the Norden.

vstrom trailer.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Would probably be easier to buy an existing open or closed trailer that will fit what you're looking for and modify what's necessary from there i.e. axle, wheels, tires, etc.

And how did this thread go from a question to assuming he's going 80MPH+ lol.

jagarcia89

Would probably be easier to buy an existing open or closed trailer that will fit what you're looking for and modify what's necessary from there i.e. axle, wheels, tires, etc.

And how did this thread go from a question to assuming he's going 80MPH+ lol.

In fairness, my original post said I’d like to go highway speeds of 80mph. But I edited after the first comment as it was clearly derailing the core question which is a highway-able trailer.

Agree on your first point though. I may need to see what trailers can be modified with a full size car wheel/tire. The point of my post is that Most motorcycle specific 3 rail, etc… trailers I can find all seem to have tiny 13” tires. Then the old military type trailers people often convert have bigger tires but still seem to be intended for very low speeds. So just trying to see if anyone knows an off the shelf option that was built for this kind of (small utility trailer with larger tires, wheels, suspension). But it seems people seem more focused on lecturing about what they deem as safe trailer travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I have never seen a tractor trailer do 80!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never crossed NV and Idaho? I got passed by a dodge towing a goose neck stock trailer with 6 fully saddled horses in it. While doing 85mph with the semi’s. I paced the cowboy at 98mph for a few miles then went back to my boring 85mph.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
As to the original question-

Larger tires and wheels help (to a point). I swapped out the 13" that came on my 12' enclosed trailer (RZR hauler), to 35x12.5/R17 on matching rims to my Gladiator because there should be a law in all states that your tow vehicle and trailer should have matching wheels/tires, size and style. Just kidding, but with the same combo on the JT and the trailer, I can get away with a single spare (and it looks good ;) ), You can certain run 'auto' tires if they met the load rating. Most dedicated 'trailer tires' have a heavier load rating for their smaller size, hence limitations.

A longer tongue (to a point) helps with stability (and maneuverability).

Brakes on the trailer help, even on a light trailer.

Load equalizing hitch helps, Even on a light trailer where it is not necessary.

So build/buy/modify depending on your resources.

You might want to check out this build thread here on the Expo for ideas

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The point of my post is that Most motorcycle specific 3 rail, etc… trailers I can find all seem to have tiny 13” tire. So just trying to see if anyone knows an off the shelf option that was built for this kind of (small utility trailer with larger tires, wheels, suspension)
To that question. I used 5x4.5 to 5x5 Wheel Adapters to install the factory JT/JL wheels on my enclosed trailer. As I was using factory wheels I needed to add a spacer (5x5 1.0") on each side to get the clearance due to the factory offset (aftermarket wheels might not have needed them), Normally I am not a fan of adapters and/or spacers, but the load is so light on the trailer (RS1), not a concern to me in this use case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk