New guy with a question!!

BigCountry77

I my name is Ron(Big Country). I am new to the forum and have been reading alot of post. I think I will fit in good, it seems like a very friendly atomsphere. I have an 1989 Suburban 2500 4x4 350tbi/th400/4.10 gears. It has a few mods on it such as: HyperTech chip,throttle body spacer, msd coil, k&n filter, edlebrock headers, Flowmasters with H pipe, 4" to 6" lift not sure which, procomp shocks, dual dampeners, 17" pacer wheels with 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I am currently in the process of getting the tranny rebuilt with heavy duty clutch, programable shift kit,and heavy duty stall converter, and having the transfer case checked. I bought it about a month ago. the body and interior is in very good condition for the age. I bought it because I have a big family my wife and I have seven children so we needed a vechile big enough for all of us. The only problem other than the transmission is it whats to wonder sometimes. There is very little play in the steering so I took it to a shop and had them check it. It was out of alignment and the driverside balljoints had a little play. the mechanic said that he adjusted the toe so that it wouldn't eat the tires and the camber was off 1.25 on each side. he also said that everything else on the front was tight. I was wondering if changing to the aftermarket adjustment sleeves for the camber issue and replacing the balljoints on both sides would correct the wondering problem? I would appreciate in feedback I can get on this problem.

Thanks,

Big Country

KMV77

The camber could be your issue since you have a pretty tall lift. How much play are we talking about in the ball joints? If its within spec as to what it allowed, I'd let that go for now and do the camber adjustment. If that fixed it then I'd put the ball joint on the back burner but not for too long. Lastly you said the mechanic adjusted the toe. Did he happen to rotate the tires after that? If you can get the back tires on the front and take it for a test drive that could provide some more info. When my CJ wandered it ended up being the ball joint at the end of the drag link. I replaced the drag link (it was one piece) and it was good as gold. Good Luck.
Kevin

BigCountry77

Kevin,
The mechanic didn't rotate the tires. He checked the the rest of the frontend out and said that everything was tight. he said the balljoints were borderline. Being that I will use the Suburban on trips as well as hunting and camping expeditions I will probably go ahead and get them replaced. Thanks for your feedback and I hope to get some pics on soon. I 'm supposed to get the tranny back on Friday. I hope to have it in this weekend so I can get it back on the road.

Thanks,
Big Country

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1