New Project '78 GMC Jimmy

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Hey everyone, I just defected from the Jeep forum when I sold my XJ and got this Jimmy. I found her on Craigslist for $800. It kind of has some odd options for a base model truck such as a 400 ci engine (newly rebuilt) and cruise control. I was amazed to find the owned manual and and a manual for a Warn Belleview winch in the glove box. When I was talking to the owned he told me that he had bought it from the original owner in October and that it had a camper on it. After talking for awhile he mentioned that he had torn up the camper but I could have it too if I wanted it. All he did was take out the bed foam cabinet, no pics of the camper yet since I don't have it home but I'll post them up after I retreive it. So without further adue I present what my wife has affectionatly named 'Mean Green'

ResizedImage951357328575517.jpg

ResizedImage951357328608776.jpg

ResizedImage951357328585900.jpg

ResizedImage951357328553007.jpg

2013-01-039516-47-5795806.jpeg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site MeanGreen!:Wow1: It loks like you gon an incredible score for $800!:Wow1: I like forward to seeing more pics of your ride....:ylsmoke:

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I'm thinking of keeping it as a 70's style off road explorer. After some minor rust repair and seats I'll probably do a 2" lift, old school winch bumper with a vintage Warn, fix up the camper and use her for exploring the rockies and eastern Utah. I'm leaving with the Air Force for 6 months in Febuary so it will all be after I get back in August.

I like the rig and plans you have for it. I am interested to see what that camper looks like.

I run a warn 8274 and bumper on my 1977 k10. The winch is fast and pulls my truck no problem. Also I fully rebuilt mine with parts from warn for under $100. I think you will like the toughness of the old GMAIL compared to the jeeps. I guess the down side being fuel consumption.
greentrucknorthandover.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:nice looking truck Grinch! I think that both you and MeanGreen should post some more pics of your cool rigs!:drool:

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I just scored a matched set of axles from a 3/4 ton suburban, Dana 44 and 14 bolt ff with 4.10 gears. Guess I should do a 700r4 swap, good thing I have a core sitting on my shed ready for a rebuild.

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Went to the Upull and pay last night and got a rear seat, I found a good tailgate too but didn't have the right star head to get it off. Gotta love the 70's red velur. Figured I'd pull the top off for a day too.

IMG225.jpg

IMG226.jpg

Attachments

• IMG225.jpg
    IMG225.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 46

rockin kw

great buy. been looking for one of the campers for awhile. always to far away and for sale in the middle of winter. I have a 1985 k5 that is stock for now. have parts to switch to 3/4 ton axles with a 4 inch lift. enjoy

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
-13* here now. 24" of snow in the last week, on top of the 48" +/- we already had. I think I might move to Colorado and enjoy some mild winters!

Nice find on the K5!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1