Newbie looking for first rig (Rig acquired, now it's a build thread!)

xjchad

Hey guys,
I'm a pretty experienced jeeper, but need a full size for my family of 8 now.
Looking at a couple options and I wanted some feedback as to what will work best and last longer.
We are in northern Idaho and will have a lot of snow to deal with as well as the mountains and back road trails.

First is a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with 177k miles on it. 3 rows, CB, Z71 skid plates and G80 diff. $5,900
yzrG51A.jpg

Second is a 1991 Chevy Suburban 2500. 169k miles on it. Lifted with 35's. $5,000
YOUT65K.jpg

Both are at the upper end of my budget for purchase, so not much left over for upgrades.
This will be my daily driver as well, so needs to be reliable.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Everyone but me will tell you to get the square body. :rolleyes:

Personally I don't like square bodies, maybe because they replaced my all-time-favorite vehicle ever, the 3 door Suburban (Swoon!) that was made from 1967 - 72.

I would look for a GMT-400 or 800 Suburban if I were you. Yes you can fit 8 "bodies" into a Tahoe, but where is all their STUFF going to go? People have stuff, that's why a Suburban is a good choice for a family that big.

With it also being your daily, I would take the Tahoe every day of the week. It will be much more comfortable daily and with a good set of tires will take you most everywhere you point it as long as you pick a good line and pay attention to what your doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zgfiredude

I've owned them both, and it's a tough call. There are two vehicles in my life that I honestly wish I'd never sold.....'72 K5 Blazer and an '87 Suburban. I have a big soft spot for a good square body suburban. But even then it's a tough call. How many creature comforts do you want/need? Will you be doing the work yourself or taking it to a shop? What engine in the '91? Between those two, I say Suburban (because it's a Suburban). If the Tahoe were a Suburban it's a tough call...both are relatively easy to work on and not terribly expensive either. It might have to be a family vote! Which one do you like best? As for which one will last longer......The '91 has already made it 30 years!

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I concur, with you needing to daily drive it, I'd opt for a GMT400 or GMT800 Burb or Yukon XL. As others have pointed out, the tahoe seats 8, but barely, and not comfortably, and with no room for anything else. You might also see if you can find an AWD Express or Rally van... They're great vehicles, with seating for 8 and room for "stuff". No low range, but for general camping and dirt road exploring, no big deal.

Keep looking, you'll find something in your budget. The GMT400's were good trucks, and I prefer the '95+ interior, with '96 being the best year IMO. '97-2000 got a speed controlled steering setup that begins to have issues as the trucks age. Easy enough to replace it with an older steering gear if you end up with one that has issues. You'll probably have to replace a door handle or two on a GMT400, but that's no big deal either.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I would look for a GMT-400 or 800 Suburban if I were you. Yes you can fit 8 "bodies" into a Tahoe, but where is all their STUFF going to go? People have stuff, that's why a Suburban is a good choice for a family that big.
I 2nd this. Once that 3rd row is up in the Tahoe / Yukon there is maybe 1 foot of room till you're touching the tailgate.

In my opinion, skid plates are a pretty easy install and most GM's I've seen come with a G80 regardless if they are a Z71.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1