No idea what to sell for - 99 7.3L Crew/Longbed 78K (Franktown, CO)

jage

Observer
UPDATE: listed 16,500 sold 16,200

I have a silver 1999 4x4 F-250 Crew Cab longbed with the 7.3L and only 78K miles. Automatic. Have redone the turbo due to an oil leak, and also done HPOP seals recently. Engine is tight, the oil pan is solid. Stock, never tuned or chipped.

Here is where it gets "special". I spent a lot of money putting cruise control and leather "long haul" seats in, but it's all standard controls: manual door locks, manual windows. Hard to find if that's what you want. The seats are 40/20/40 with a slider on the jump, 3 way heat, lumbar and massage, and the rear is a power long-haul seat- which means it transforms into a bed (flat, filling the rear of the cab).

So the problem is I have no idea what to sell it for. My first guess is the expedition world would be most interested, so I come here first to find out what it would be worth (and I'll offer it here first).

Personally I'm downsizing to a Tacoma Double cab, since the F250 has been my wife's DD for years and we recently bought her a car. With the Sportsmobile and a Jeep TJ, the F250 is now slightly redundant, but I still love this truck and it's currently my DD. I think it would make a great rig for someone looking for that exactly right Superduty platform.

Please let me know your thoughts.

DSCF5834.JPG

Last edited:

colodak

Adventurer
ebay, cars.com, autotrader, NADA, Edmunds are all good places to start looking for a rough idea, wish I was in the market for upsizing as I might be interested, but the ol' lady informed me last week we need new carpeting, and soon.

jage

Observer
Blue book suggests $9 to 11,000 depending upon condition. That is for a XLT.

I've had better offers as a dealer trade in, and yet on Craigslist they list for $7K around here. You can understand maybe why I'm confused!

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I can understand the confusion. Great truck, great engine. But definitely old, in terms of years (most consumers think new cars are the only ones that won't break) even though it has next to nothing on that 7.3 in terms of miles. Truck was expensive when new, I'm sure, but...it is a 99, it is the base model diesel, and unfortunately...if you aren't on a site like thats, like craigslist, you're selling to the average joe that just wants a truck because America.

Great truck, best of luck finding that beauty a new home.

jage

Observer
I just know I'll trade it in and someone will scream bloody murder in a month. Ah well, there is a nice taco down in the springs, I'll see what they offer in trade. Thanks for the numbers!

ClayH

Adventurer
A 7.3 is a more sought after platform than other Ford diesels and they bring a higher price because of it. Having that low milage only makes this better.
It would bring $13k-#15k here in OK, probably over night.

Personally, as long as the truck is clean, with that low of mileage and the interior modifications you have done to it i would list it at 17-18 and go down from there, especially if you decide to list it on craigslist. Should have no problem getting a 15-16k offer.

NothingClever

Explorer
Having looked at 7.3s for the last 18 months, I think the $13-16 range is FMV appropriate. The low mileage will cause many to start breathing hard, too.

contento

Observer
Provided you have good documentation/receipts and a clean carfax, I can't see you getting less than $15k for the truck. Hell, you might get that from a dealer who wants to flip it for $18k. I've seen it done, people go nuts for 7.3s

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1999/Ford/F250-Super-Duty-Pickup-3-4-Ton-V8/Styleside-Crew-Cab-XL/Values

Also google used car values. Black Book, Blue Book, Edmunds, etc.
I'd detail it and start at $12 if it was me.

I think 12k (or more) a good number. I recently did some fixing on my well loved 5-speed '96 Power Stroke that I don't plan to sell soon, if ever. But before spending money on repairs it I did consider selling it...and in Reno I could have sold the XLT for 10-12k with 129,000 miles on it. For as little use as it sees I probably should sell it, but my wife wants to keep it as much as I do.

Clean, used, and especially low-mileage 7.3L Power Strokes can be worth much more than NADA or KBB numbers, as the local/regional demand can be high. Even more so now with the increasingly complex emissions on new diesel trucks. I would say the biggest negative is that it's a 'stripped' model and not an XLT. Does it have A/C?

If a dealer will sell you and new Tacoma for $500 over invoice or less, and also give you 10K or more for the Ford, I would personally take that deal and let them mark-it-up and resell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1