North West Overland Rally Aftermath

Firebear MD718

Observer
Hello Folks, Just the Guy with the "White" Tacoma, now dirty thanks to Ms. Cristina . . :bowdown:
While driving back home, the wheels started turning (no puns, haha) about the recovery class, I would like to here your ideas and thoughts on keepin my rear bumper stock, but looking for recovery points, my thoughts where to keep the tow hitch and put rings or something on the outer points of that tow hitch on the frame / stock bolting points if possible, would they be strong enough for a recovery point ?

Thanks
Scott

Airmonger

Adventurer
How about a receiver hitch mounted one.

This is what I used on my 4 door tacoma and still use on my 80 series. If your concerned about tweaking your receiver mount than I would also get a kenetic recovery strap as well.

LINK

I wouldn't suggest using the saftey chain holes on the receiver, I have seen them bend pretty easily and constant recoveries will eventually cuase them to fail.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
How about a receiver hitch mounted one.

This is what I used on my 4 door tacoma and still use on my 80 series. If your concerned about tweaking your receiver mount than I would also get a kenetic recovery strap as well.

LINK

I wouldn't suggest using the saftey chain holes on the receiver, I have seen them bend pretty easily and constant recoveries will eventually cuase them to fail.

x2 :punk03:

I used some of those crazy aircraft gade bolts on some aftermarket tow hooks and tweaked the frame when trying to pull some stumps out. GO WITH THE RECIEVER HITCH!

Firebear MD718

Observer
Thanks for everyones in put thus far, I have a reciever hitch but was thinking more on the line of what is being called a chain tie down, I was thinking of changeing those for something else,but not sure what . . . I have seen how the ARB front bumper has points and well was thinking the same for the rear . . . :confused:

Petrolburner

Explorer
You can also just use your cross pin that locks the hitch into the reciever. Just run it through the loop in you tie down to secure the loop inside the receiver, nothing else to buy or carry or store. Same strength and securely fastened.

The front tow hook on my tundra bent the bottom part of the frame slightly from yanking someone out at one point in time or another, found out when I went to mount a brushguard and one side sat higher than the other :Wow1: I'm going to put a front reciever hitch up there for a solid center tow point and to mount a winch :smiley_drive:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
There are many here who will jump on this as well but using your hitch pin as a mounting point is NOT the same strength as using a receiver mounted shackle. The pin is designed to work in SHEAR not in bending. When the hitch is in the main forces on the pin are shear, once the receiver is removed you change these forces to bending. The pin is high strength steel but is brittle and will not take the bending moment in the same way as having a hitch installed. I have seen many people do this(without failure) but like other things you don't want to be the one to have it fail. Assuming that the hitch pin will have the same rating as a stand alone mount is a very dangerous assumption.

OP. Hitch mounted recovery points are the strongest and safest way to distribute the loads to the rear of your truck. Just get the shackle receiver mount and don't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1