Old Man Emu / Tips for first time installer needed ? Anything to make things easier?

mk75

Adventurer
Hello Expo ,

So I have access to a friends garage with a lift tomorrow and I'm looking for tips on a OME suspension for my 99. Should be straight forward I think or am I wrong?

OME Torsion Bars (303011)

OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (60040)

OME Coil Spring (OME2938)

OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (60041)

2015-12-18_08-34-53_173.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-12-18_08-34-39_154.jpg
    2015-12-18_08-34-39_154.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 26
  • 2015-12-18_08-34-53_173.jpg
    2015-12-18_08-34-53_173.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 27

montero98ls

Observer
Pretty straight forward. I think there was a thread somewhere of about coils. I disconnect shocks and away bar and lower the axle, they pop right out, just watch brake lines. Torsion bars are simple just try to get the anchors on the same spline.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Also helps if you unbolt the rear panhard/track bar to allow the axle to droop, I had mine done in about 5 hours total front and rear, with a lift you should have it done in 3-4 hours.

mk75

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice guys .. Went real smooth .. It took 2 hours to do on a lift. The torsion bars threw me for a loop. When you look at the stock torsion bars "stock / red , blue LR... They have a slide for the spline. The Ome don't have the slide for the spline... FYI to those who are doing there own....

Will add pics later today. Looks wimpy on those 31's....

2015-12-21_12-38-25_608.jpg

mk75

Adventurer
Just had it aligned this afternoon. Torsion bars are cranked all the way" basically flat" . There is a difference of the rear being taller by one inch and the front being 1 inch shorter in terms of leveling. Steering feels better. Feels more or less like a new truck. A bit bouncy and I suspect that will level out with time.

Will update ride behavior next week after I have had some time to become one with the Monty again..

Thanks for all the advice.

MK-75

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just had it aligned this afternoon. Torsion bars are cranked all the way" basically flat" . There is a difference of the rear being taller by one inch and the front being 1 inch shorter in terms of leveling. Steering feels better. Feels more or less like a new truck. A bit bouncy and I suspect that will level out with time.

Will update ride behavior next week after I have had some time to become one with the Monty again..

Thanks for all the advice.

MK-75

You will love it, best part is that setup will be more stable and capable than you will ever dare push it, I know I had mine covering ground at 10-15 mph faster than I ever had before the OME upgrade on the same hunting roads I have driven for years and it could have handled more. It literally feels like a better than new vehicle!

mk75

Adventurer
There is one weird hick up after the alignment and that would be screech maybe a chirp when pulling out. Lets say for instance I pull in kind of fast to the left to put some mail in the mail drop box. I come to a complete stop and turn the wheel to the right and get on the gas kinda quick " 1500-2000 RPM" to get back out in traffic . Wife says it sounds like its coming from the left side . I cant replicate the issue on the right doing everything in reverse.

Something get tightened a bit to much or might this go away since everything is so new ?

Belts ?

Anyone else have any ideas?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There is one weird hick up after the alignment and that would be screech maybe a chirp when pulling out. Lets say for instance I pull in kind of fast to the left to put some mail in the mail drop box. I come to a complete stop and turn the wheel to the right and get on the gas kinda quick " 1500-2000 RPM" to get back out in traffic . Wife says it sounds like its coming from the left side . I cant replicate the issue on the right doing everything in reverse.

Something get tightened a bit to much or might this go away since everything is so new ?

Belts ?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Check your shocks, you may have forgotten to tighten something. And did you put some grease or antiseize on the bushings to prevent squeaks, they will make some noise due to their harder than rubber composition.

mk75

Adventurer
Clearance and city driving... 2015-12-22_10-39-16_365.jpg need to rethink roof rack. 33's Will make it so i cant park in the garage any more.

earljuic3

Adventurer
Old Man Emu / Tips for first time installer needed ? Anything to make things ...

I have the OME on my GEN 3 and they made some weird noises for a week or so just In case you come across this. Not a screech though obviously lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1