On Board Air Location JK

sgregg108

Adventurer
Any thoughts / ideas of where you've placed your oba compressor?

I just pulled the trigger on a 3/4hp puma, thinking of putting under the hood of my JK, but afraid the heat will kill the motor. I'm also thinking of trying to shoe horn into the storage bin in the cargo area.

Any input is appreciated!

ZMagic97

Explorer
I have mine under the hood on a bracket coming off the brake booster. No issues with heat that I can mention.

bluehash

Adventurer
Any thoughts / ideas of where you've placed your oba compressor?

I just pulled the trigger on a 3/4hp puma, thinking of putting under the hood of my JK, but afraid the heat will kill the motor. I'm also thinking of trying to shoe horn into the storage bin in the cargo area.

Any input is appreciated!

Any idea where you will put the tank?
There is some space in behind the passenger brake light too.

sgregg108

Adventurer
I was thinking I'd strap it up to the frame, maybe if there's room in front of the gas tank before the trans crossmember?

Good thinking on the taillight area, that might be a good spot.

Any idea where you will put the tank?
There is some space in behind the passenger brake light too.

BenHedrick

Adventurer
If you have the room, I like the PowerTank setup. I also run the ARB compressor also, off the brake booster with the bracket, but nothing beats the PowerTank setup, in my opinion. See attached pic and I've also got a setup off the rear roll bar mount.

Ben

img_4596_med_hr.jpeg

sgregg108

Adventurer
Thanks for the input about under-hood performance Ben and ZMagic

I'm going to see how the Puma fits under the hood at the Brake Cylinder. I haven't received the compressor yet, so I'm not quite sure if it'll clear the hood in that position.

Ben, as for the Powertank, I think I'll just opt for the compressor for now. I have a Mac's JeepBox in the cargo area, so that takes up some space and the cost of a power tank is preventing me from even thinking about going that route. Once I get this mounted, my thought is to have it rigged up to allow for a long hose or to plumb quick connects at the front and rear of the Jeep.

If you have the room, I like the PowerTank setup. I also run the ARB compressor also, off the brake booster with the bracket, but nothing beats the PowerTank setup, in my opinion. See attached pic and I've also got a setup off the rear roll bar mount.

Ben

img_4596_med_hr.jpeg

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
We're not going to store a tank in the jeep.. but I have heard of a company that makes a drop in storage box that fits in the cubby hole at the cargo area.. We're going to relocated the Viair compressor under the hood.. because I don't like the current mounts, I've submitted an idea to my wife's company to create a new mounting bracket for the 07 -10 Jeep Wranglers.. (Because there's space between the radiator and engine) Once under the hood.. I may run two extension lines just for better access.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I had my mv50 mounted off the brake booster. The thermal cutoff would kick in more frequently in that location. The DS exhaust manifold cracked with it in that location. Apparently the DS manifold cracking is a common problem, I don't know if anyone has looked at how often it cracks with a compressor in that location .
As for air tanks, I don't get the benefit of an air tank when using a small 12v compressor. It will take longer to air up, and won't store enough air to run air tools.
Tom

sgregg108

Adventurer
The company with the extended storage cubby is JeepSWAG, they're pricy box extensions, but if it's what you need and want, it's probably worth it. I've seen 7-10 JKs with 12v compressors between the engine / radiator but not the 12-current model like I have.
We're not going to store a tank in the jeep.. but I have heard of a company that makes a drop in storage box that fits in the cubby hole at the cargo area.. We're going to relocated the Viair compressor under the hood.. because I don't like the current mounts, I've submitted an idea to my wife's company to create a new mounting bracket for the 07 -10 Jeep Wranglers.. (Because there's space between the radiator and engine) Once under the hood.. I may run two extension lines just for better access.

sgregg108

Adventurer
Interesting to hear that the exhaust manifold might be cracking from any trapped heat. Looking at my cargo area last night I might opt for figuring out a way to place it back there or just keep it in a bag and use alligator clips on my battery when I need to air up.

I had my mv50 mounted off the brake booster. The thermal cutoff would kick in more frequently in that location. The DS exhaust manifold cracked with it in that location. Apparently the DS manifold cracking is a common problem, I don't know if anyone has looked at how often it cracks with a compressor in that location .
As for air tanks, I don't get the benefit of an air tank when using a small 12v compressor. It will take longer to air up, and won't store enough air to run air tools.
Tom

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
The company with the extended storage cubby is JeepSWAG, they're pricy box extensions, but if it's what you need and want, it's probably worth it. I've seen 7-10 JKs with 12v compressors between the engine / radiator but not the 12-current model like I have.
Ok.. well as I said.. I was designing it to be intended for the Viair system.. and mounted in the general areas as you've suggested.
What's your exact model and number.. as a reference. I don't like all the cords that come with the 400 series Viair.. But I'll need to create a line running at least to the firewall on both sides or purchase another quick disconnect airline as an extension. It coils up bad in cold weather..

HAFICON

Adventurer
I actually just moved mine today, had it on a brake booster mount moved it to the rear cubby. Trying to simplify my set up as my tanks are in the cargo area.

06cd40b4-9b84-40e2-9a73-8d7f7f024a58_zpsy68jg4zv.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Tail Light

Hmmm... I managed to get my Viair 450C behind the taillight. You need small hands, patience, and alcohol... But I was never able to get all 4 bolts into it. Really a bummer...

So... I pulled it out last weekend... That was also a major task. I'll now be running it in a little tool box on clamp on cords until I figure out a better solution for a permanent mount. I haven't given up on behind the taillight just yet, but it needs to be functional...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh