Purchasing 2003 Chevy Express AWD - What repairs/maintenance/upgrades should I plan for?

Long time lurker - first time poster...

I just put a deposit down with a dealer on the van described in the title ($11k asking price, room to move down on price after I have an independent inspection). It's got ~140k mi, some spots of rust (lived its life in Iowa ??‍♂️), and has seating for 8. Interior is in very good condition, engine sounds good, but will get a full report next week.

I've been looking hard. Finding an AWD/4x4 factory passenger van has been tough.

With the experiences of folks here, what should I plan on for repairs (especially drivetrain, since awd chevy express is no longer made, I might want to stockpile some components or preemptively make repairs)? Any issues with the transmission or engine (those parts are stock chevy express van, so less worried about finding parts, expertise to repair)?

TLDR: Here's my use case - I work 90% remote, and will spend 2wks or so at a time chasing my seasonal adventures. It's ski season, so I'll be up in VT/NH/ME a lot, and do a fair amount of backcountry skiing. During the spring summer, I flyfish and mtn bike all over, but its often down long rutted, muddy gravel roads.

I'll probably add a small lift kit and slightly bigger At tires. I'll immediately have an rust repaired and get it undercoated to keep that at bay.

The main wrinkle, hence the factory passenger van, is that I coach a youth mtn bike team during the spring/summer. The factory passenger seats are critical for insurance and occupancy requirements.

I thought about a Suburban, almost bought two on different occasions, but can't imagine trying to work inside one for a day of zoom and data editing. With the van, I can sit comfortably and have enough room for seasonally relevant gear, and my old dog.

My build plan is to keep it really simple. Short platform in the back, with small boxes on the sides for sitting. I'll put a table mount in between that drop down to become a bed. The rest of the inside will be mostly open space for my dog to roam around, and I'll have a basic pop-up table for cooking. Everything will be mounted to factory bolts and removeable within an hour or so. I've got build experience with solar power, heat/ac, electrical and plumbing from building out a sprinter. I'll actually be using many of the leftover extraneous parts that I purchased during that build, but didn't use. ??‍♂️

Beyond maintenance and suggested repairs, what critiques/suggested improvements do you have on the idea?

Attachments

• d74647f.jpg
    d74647f.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 8360476.jpg
    8360476.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 21

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Light duty front axle from the 1/2 ton PU with short A arms and CV joints/axles. Because of this and trying to package all this in a van body your lift options are very limited.

Expect to replace most of the front-end components soon after purchase on an AWD van with 140K miles (CV axles, Ball joints/Control Arms, bearing assemblies, tie rod ends, drag link and sway bar components). All these items are relatively CHEAP at RockAuto so it's not the end of the world money wise just the time and labor. Rear end will be solid. Might as well do the brake hoses, calipers, rotors and pads along with the rear brake hose, shoes, drums, springs and wheel cylinders that are probably original to the van while you are at it. Don't forget the cooling system service and PS fluid change also.

Service the transfer case fluid, front and rear axle fluids, trans filter and fluid soon after purchase. It is very important that you use the correct fluid in each of these components as they take specific fluids that may surprise you!

These can be wiring nightmare if you start to have drivetrain electrical issues as the transfer case control and transmission control all run through the "Body Control Module" along with the lights gauges and other stuff. Way to go GM. How dumb is that?

5.3 engine is solid runner that will go forever with basic service. Fortunately for you this van does not have the TERRIBLE cylinder deactivation programing for better fuel mileage and ultimately your engines destruction!

RUST is a Big Issue with these vans. IF you see a little rust expect there to be a lot more rust hidden that will develop rather quickly. The lower rockers and body panels is where you will see those issues. Buy a spray rust encapsulation/converter product such as sold by KBS Coatings in spray cans that is easily sprayed into the rocker panels or lower body panels with their 3+ foot long flexible 360 degree spray wand to stop rust and prevent rust in the future.

These AWD vans are GREAT in the snow. Better than 4WD! Terrible ground clearance on these AWD vans so expect your off-road adventures to be limited forest service road adventures at best.

Last edited:

carleton

Can't comment to the durability having not owned this one specifically.
I had a 2006 Express 2500 with the V8 and that thing was a beast.

However, I know the AWD's were only available in a 1500/ 1/2ton, so folks with involved builds frequently will max out their payload.
Sounds like your build is pretty simple, but I'd definitely recommend keeping things light with any modifications you make.

ThundahBeagle

Light duty front axle from the 1/2 ton PU with short A arms and CV joints/axles. Because of this and trying to package all this in a van body your lift options are very limited.

Expect to replace most of the front-end components soon after purchase on an AWD van with 140K miles (CV axles, Ball joints/Control Arms, bearing assemblies, tie rod ends, drag link and sway bar components). All these items are relatively CHEAP at RockAuto so it's not the end of the world money wise just the time and labor. Rear end will be solid. Might as well do the brake hoses, calipers, rotors and pads along with the rear brake hose, shoes, drums, springs and wheel cylinders that are probably original to the van while you are at it. Don't forget the cooling system service and PS fluid change also.

Service the transfer case fluid, front and rear axle fluids, trans filter and fluid soon after purchase. It is very important that you use the correct fluid in each of these components as they take specific fluids that may surprise you!

These can be wiring nightmare if you start to have drivetrain electrical issues as the transfer case control and transmission control all run through the "Body Control Module" along with the lights gauges and other stuff. Way to go GM. How dumb is that?

5.3 engine is solid runner that will go forever with basic service. Fortunately for you this van does not have the TERRIBLE cylinder deactivation programing for better fuel mileage and ultimately your engines destruction!

RUST is a Big Issue with these vans. IF you see a little rust expect there to be a lot more rust hidden that will develop rather quickly. The lower rockers and body panels is where you will see those issues. Buy a spray rust encapsulation/converter product such as sold by KBS Coatings in spray cans that is easily sprayed into the rocker panels or lower body panels with their 3+ foot long flexible 360 degree spray wand to stop rust and prevent rust in the future.

These AWD vans are GREAT in the snow. Better than 4WD! Terrible ground clearance on these AWD vans so expect your off-road adventures to be limited forest service road adventures at best.

Beat me to it and very thorough sir. Transfer case and Diffs are important to change the fluid. Change brake fluid as well. Spark plugs, check belts. Brakes, yeah all the stuff you would check and do for any used vehicle with special attention to transfer case because it is AWD. And yeah, not having cylinder deactivation might mean lesser fuel economy, but it also means no butt pucker factor wondering if your engine is going to fail. Probably more like my old 5.7's where you have a little more leeway regarding old type and change intervals, but still, keep it tigh

tinbasher

Observer
i drive a 2004 awd cargo van at work. bought at 260k kms from a government auction a few years back for a song, it now has 360k. its needed one set of brakes, three wheel bearings. a front brake hose ruptured while driving and the mechanic said it was poorly designed (banjo tight at full lock?). supposedly the transfer case was empty of fluid at one service, they refilled it and its still transfering years later... its been an amazing work truck

Can't comment to the durability having not owned this one specifically.
I had a 2006 Express 2500 with the V8 and that thing was a beast.

However, I know the AWD's were only available in a 1500/ 1/2ton, so folks with involved builds frequently will max out their payload.
Sounds like your build is pretty simple, but I'd definitely recommend keeping things light with any modifications you make.
Yeah. The build will be minimal. It's going to be my dd, and don't want to drag around everything I own. I have a storage unit, and the Sprinter van 2500 is setup more as a full time rig, once I replace the damn engine (UGH!).

i drive a 2004 awd cargo van at work. bought at 260k kms from a government auction a few years back for a song, it now has 360k. its needed one set of brakes, three wheel bearings. a front brake hose ruptured while driving and the mechanic said it was poorly designed (banjo tight at full lock?). supposedly the transfer case was empty of fluid at one service, they refilled it and its still transfering years later... its been an amazing work truck
This is reassuring to hear! I really appreciate a vehicle that can be "recovered" even when operated in less than perfect condition.

Beat me to it and very thorough sir. Transfer case and Diffs are important to change the fluid. Change brake fluid as well. Spark plugs, check belts. Brakes, yeah all the stuff you would check and do for any used vehicle with special attention to transfer case because it is AWD. And yeah, not having cylinder deactivation might mean lesser fuel economy, but it also means no butt pucker factor wondering if your engine is going to fail. Probably more like my old 5.7's where you have a little more leeway regarding old type and change intervals, but still, keep it tigh
Agreed. I'm drawn to the vehicles from this era, as they seem like the last vestiges of cars that don't require perfection to function. All I hear about the AFM system, across the GM line, is that it's a special snowflake that gets confused from being over complicated. What's nuts to me, is the goal was better fuel economy and it is only marginally better, with alot more problems. Not a good trade-off. I was looking at Suburban's and also honed in on the '03-'06 model years for the same reasons.

Super valuable perspective, Vintageracer. Thank you for the detail. I'm purchasing the van from a dealer. They say, they put a few grand worth of work into the van, including brake/steering/front end. We'll see...Trust, but verify. They're sending me over their maintenance/repair records, and I'll have the independent mechanic look especially close at those things plus transfer case.

I hate rust. It will be the first thing I address, and have a monthly routine to spot check and hit rust spots regularly to minimize their development. And accept that it's likely inevitable with vehicles from this era. I'm sensitive to how far it's progressed, and have passed over several already that look like an animal has been feasting on the rocker panels. I did a pretty comprehensive grind, treat, seal, paint, and cover job on the Sprinter. Hopefully, this will require less work than that. I've heard of the KBS spray can coatings. The long hose and 360 spray nozzle are real gamechangers. I'll also have a professional shop scrape and hit the bottom with a lanolin/petroleum coating.

The ground clearance issue is odd on these. From what I've read, they are actually a little lower than the standard Chevy Express vans (Seems dumb). But there seem to be some pretty simple over-the-counter 2-3" lift kits available from Boulder Vans (https://boulderoffroadvans.com/awd-1500) and Rough Country. I'll probably wait until Spring, and do a full run on the suspension, lift, full set of larger tires (plus spare), and a rear tire rack to hold everything. This stuff is all in the "nice to have" category, but not critical.

Got the maintenance records of the work the dealership has completed.

Front and rear brake rotors and pads replaced
Front and rear shocks replaced
Driver's side seat track replaced
Various other minor fixes, plus oil/filter change and lube

Doesnt look like any cv/ball joints or steering repairs/maintenance was done. So I'll put that on my $$ list.

Attachments

• Dec_12_2022_14_16_48_1.jpg
    Dec_12_2022_14_16_48_1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Dec_12_2022_14_16_48_2.jpg
    Dec_12_2022_14_16_48_2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Dec_12_2022_14_16_48_3.jpg
    Dec_12_2022_14_16_48_3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Dec_12_2022_14_16_48_4.jpg
    Dec_12_2022_14_16_48_4.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 7
Here's my suspension modification parts list. Great improvement to clearance and road manners...

GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread
That's helpful. Thanks

Did you install or think about installing any type of skid-plates/underbody protection. The AWD mechanical systems seems focused more on the rust-belt soccer mom, than backcountry adventurer. I'm not going to be out rock crawling, but some of the forest roads I frequent for fishing are rarely graded with lots of deep water ruts and washouts.

Willsfree

I did reach out to Boulderoffroadvans. They have several skid plate options, not all listed on their site. I damaged a few crossmembers before I added the lift, but haven't yet installed any skid plate protection. Let us know what you end up doing. Perhaps post up on the GM fullsize AWD thread for modifications.

I did reach out to Boulderoffroadvans. They have several skid plate options, not all listed on their site. I damaged a few crossmembers before I added the lift, but haven't yet installed any skid plate protection. Let us know what you end up doing. Perhaps post up on the GM fullsize AWD thread for modifications.
Boulder alo has an upgraded/stronger cross-member. It seems like they have a pretty simple and integrated solution for this era of van. I appreciate the ease of choosing a system that works together and having one point of contact if (when?) something goes wrong.

whith

Congrats. Lots of good advice here already particularly from Vintageracer. Most of the issues you will want to tackle will be relative to where its lived and how it was cared for....rust etc. The engine and overall drivetrain should be pretty solid and if anything needs replacing the parts should be fairly economical. Boulder Offroad for lift parts as mentioned and if I were to go beyond that I would look to see if your van has the G80 factory locker in the rear. You can check our your RPO codes to see if that is listed. Either way should be bomber in the snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal