quick ?????

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have a 750 watts power inverter... and was wondering if this kit would work with wiring it up ?

Depends on the power draw numbers for the inverter. What kind of current is it drawing or better yet what size fuse does it use? This will tell you how many amps your wiring setup needs to be able to support.

Last edited:

proto

Adventurer
Hiya! The specs on this wiring kit seem a little 'optimistic' to me. Ampacity (maximum safe current) for 8 gauge wire is typically considered to be 55 Amps. Your 750 Watt inverter, assuming 80% efficiency, probably draws almost 80 Amps when running full-out.

There are charts for this just a quick Google away, but here are a few good ones:

How-to-Size-Wiring-and-Cabling
Voltage_Drop_Chart
5-Percent-Voltage_Drop

What you'll see is that, at these currents, the length of the wire matters (shorter is better). If you're only running 5 feet of wire, you can use this kit and be happy. (But 5 feet of wire only puts your inverter 2.5 feet away from the battery -- your circuit is a loop.) Any further, and you need to step up to 6 gauge or 4 gauge.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've got a +/- Batt terminal cables running to my 750 watt inverter and when I run my little AC chain saw, they get warm, but

I'm only 1 ft away fom the battery and my inverter has an internal fan

PICT0121.jpg

I have it fused at 100 amps and the inverter has an internal-reset fuse

can't be too careful !!

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1