Re-Greasing 95 Montero SR radiator fan clutch?

MountainMontero

Hey all,

I suspect issues with my fan clutch; temperature goes up in stop-and-go traffic, goes back down when I'm driving on open road and stays down unless I stop for a long period or end up in stop-and-go again.

I was going to order a new fan clutch, but I read recently that the OEM ones are the best option, and can simply be re-greased once they start to malfunction.

What grease goes in them? I assume you just open it up and slap on as much as it will hold?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Hey all,

I suspect issues with my fan clutch; temperature goes up in stop-and-go traffic, goes back down when I'm driving on open road and stays down unless I stop for a long period or end up in stop-and-go again.

I was going to order a new fan clutch, but I read recently that the OEM ones are the best option, and can simply be re-greased once they start to malfunction.

What grease goes in them? I assume you just open it up and slap on as much as it will hold?
I haven't done one but the silicone oil can be bought at your local Toyota dealership, I do know that it takes a decent amount of time do drain. Your FSM should have the viscosity per your climate and volume needed. Allegedly you can buy the oil at auto zone or similar as well but I'd just get the OEM stuff to be safe (Mits, Toyota, Lexus, Nissan) what ever dealership is nearby, most Japanese OEMs use Aisin clutches.

MountainMontero

I haven't done one but the silicone oil can be bought at your local Toyota dealership, I do know that it takes a decent amount of time do drain. Your FSM should have the viscosity per your climate and volume needed. Allegedly you can buy the oil at auto zone or similar as well but I'd just get the OEM stuff to be safe (Mits, Toyota, Lexus, Nissan) what ever dealership is nearby, most Japanese OEMs use Aisin clutches.
Thanks for the response!

I don't have any Japanese dealerships nearby... Nearest is a Nissan dealership 2.5 hours away. Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere.

I ended up just ordering a RockAuto replacement clutch, GPD or similar because I read someone say that they're closest to OEM.

In any case, I'll save the OEM one and pick up some of the grease next time I'm up that way. That way I can have a spare on-hand should I need it. Got caught in stop-and-go traffic this past weekend and watched my temp gauge climb up passed the top of the "F" -- not in the danger zone, but wayyyyyy too high for comfort.

Drove home 4 hours the next day, checked oil, coolant, looked for exhaust smoke, etc. No signs of head gasket failure thank God.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1