RotopaX Gas Can Mounting Pictures (please)

5Runner

Adventurer
I'm really interested in the Rotopax as a means to carry extra fuel with us when needed, but I am having problems determining where to mount them.

Also, their freaking expensive.

Please post up your photos and experiences using Rotopax on your full-size expedition rigs.

Thanks.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I don't own any Rotopax, but since you've had over 200 views without a reply...
4208742074_c48199da95_z.jpg

3947003352_a36470857b_z.jpg

P1100174.jpg

P1100355.jpg
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...otopax-fuel-pack-jerry-can-3.html#post1485169
IMG_7938.jpg

IMG_4604.jpg

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Not the greatest picture but you get the idea. Rotopax are great, the locks don't do so well in the dust and dirt. Tough to get the key to work after miles of muddy roads but that would be down to location. Mine of course are on the side and get filled with dirt.

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 210

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough

Thank you very much for the link, HOLLYWOOD!
I hope you don't mind, but I've gotta share some of your pictures with everyone here. It looks like you've got 4gal of fuel (red), 4gal of water (white), and four of the storage packs (black) clipped together in pairs. This is an excellent example of Rotopax storage and mounting. Man, your rig rocks!

0235.jpg

0230.jpg

0206.jpg

0204.jpg

0202.jpg

0199.jpg

0234.jpg

:beer:

H0LLYW00D

Observer
No worries on posting pics, there are dones on my build site, I didnt have time to resize them last night so I decided to link to them instead. If anyone has any questions or wants details let me know. I got most of my mod Ideas from various 4x4 and expedition forums.

5Runner

Adventurer
Hollywood,

I am sold on the RotopaX...I just need them on sale. I am having a hard time choking down the price. I want two 4 gallon packs.

Post purchase, truthfully, how do you feel about dropping that many bills for the paxs? Assuming your not just made of money and can have whatever you want. If I choose to buy the pax, I keeps me from buying other stuff...limited funds you know.

So, worth every penny, or...no?

mudbutt

Explorer
I have run two of the 4 gallon Pax for about 2 years now...... They work flawlessly. Worth every penny.

If you can, get the pre-carb spouts.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
...I am sold on the RotopaX...I just need them on sale...

Best of luck, and if you find some for a lower price PLEASE let us know here. From everything I've seen Rotopax are a lot like Yeti coolers... Everybody sells them for the same price and there are never any discounts worth mentioning.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I won a pair of two gallon diesel versions with mounts at the Rocky Mountain River Shiver last weekend. Knowing how much folks like them makes me feel even luckier! I think I'll mount one to my tire carrier and the other to our Kamparoo to provide fuel the Webasto Airtop.

H0LLYW00D

Observer
5Runner

I got mine from All-Pro Off-Road and the prices even after the CDN conversion and shipping were very reasonable. I have found the 4 gallons of gas worth every penny and then some. I had a friend run out of gas and used it to give him enough gas to find a station, and I ran out on an interstate on my USA trip and used it to save my own bacon. I have not used the water container as much as I thought I would but I did not get a chance to go camping for a long time, normally a day or two trip. This summer will be different. The storage containers have been fantastic. I took them to a local shop and told them to build me a recovery kit that would fit into 3 of them and they were able to get a ton of gear in them and they are more than capable to carry thge weight. The 4th container has the first aid kit that was peiced together for that container, I havent used it yet but when I do it will be well worth having.

Sorry for the long post. the end vote is they are worth getting, its better to get the right product first than pay for 2 crappy ones first. I would only suggest that you really look at what you want the containers for so you get the best combination for you.

5Runner

Adventurer
Thanks guys for the opinions, and I like long posts, Hollywood, so thanks.

By accident yesterday, while dropping my front diff off at Slee yesterday, I got to see the 4 gallon version first hand. Very solid. I was impressed at the thickness of the plastic, and the rigidity of it overall.

It's not often that I would go on an expedition trip where I would NEED extra gas, but I like the idea of having it...for whatever reason.

My thought is to fab up a steel tray of sorts that I can place two stacked 4 gallon packs on. The tray would then crank up where the spare tire used to go, and then it bolts to the frame. It would protect the paX and keep them out of sight out of mind. It might not be super easy to get them down (unbolting the steel tray (skid plate)), but it's not often I would need to.

On my 100 series LC, I have determined I can fit a 3 gallon air tank, two 4 gallon rotos, and an M8000 rear winch all under the cargo area, yet not lower than the bottom of the frame. All protected by a skid plate, part of which is the tray that drops to hold the rotos.

Until I can build that. I thought the rotos are perfect for temporarily mounting to the roof. I'm running the Kokopelli trail in April and need to bring the extra gas for that trip. I figured if I buy one roto now, it sets me on the right path for this future plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal