SAR JK r2.8 Cummins conversion

superbuickguy

Explorer
Still flipping a mental coin about posting this build.... this is so done that it's boring
3UOsqqXh.jpg

backstory, my wife has bloodhounds that she uses for Search and Rescue (SAR). This Jeep transported her 200k miles before it started leaking more oil then it burned in gas - she likes it, and I like it because she likes it.... we'll just call me irreverent.

and yes, I have a wife that wants a diesel in her manual-trans Jeep.... yep, I'm winning. Best of all, she's paying for it.

but here's the deal. The pictures, it's a potato camera.
I have no problem with respectful input, troll me and you'll find I'm not terribly nice.

she bought it new
SuupW95h.jpg

and this is IIRC the 4th major itineration of the vehicle. It's been, for the most part, a reliable vehicle although I wouldn't call the dealership professionals.... just one of their mistakes was the inability to hook up a fuel line and that almost burned my house down.

what have we done so far (beside remove the old motor?) everything. New stereo with nav, HAM radio, 'house' batteries to power fans and an electric A/C, my wife asked for and got my foxwing,
ysOX7r8h.jpg

inside - my past is building stainless kitchen equipment but the inside has 2 kennels that can be fully segregated
GEP44D4h.jpg

there are drawers that go under but I removed the house batteries while this has been sitting
of course drawers and cubbies for stuff along with the ability to charge radios, lights, etc
yiJXdEqh.jpg

at some point I'll take a picture of the back which has removable window panels so that the dogs are basically riding in a wind box.

superbuickguy

Explorer
and I'm waiting for parts. The company who sold me the adapter bits - charitably, we'll say that a few things were missing.... like clutch and pressure plate and the 5 1/4 offset shifter....

and in the clutch vein, had to call Centerforce to get a recommendation - the supplier supplied a flywheel but no specs and no recommendations for a clutch.... after some research and a week - 1997-2001 Jeep TJ with the 4.0 is the recommended clutch set up... you're welcome (Cummins doesn't tell you either)

1stDeuce

Explorer
Though the OEM TJ clutch did drop from 10-1/2" dia to ~9" in around 2000, all the aftermarket clutches forTJ's of all years use a 10-1/2" clutch and applications say '94-2006. I think that's probably what you're after so don't be confused if you don't find the exact year range you were given... Looks like a fun project! One of my friends put a 2.8 in his early bronco and he is very happy with it!!

Hmm, after re-reading, I think you're actually already done so my advice is WAY too late... Still nice to see how things went for you!!

superbuickguy

Explorer
It took a week for Centerforce to research it (which, ironically, was the sales guy asking someone who worked for them what he did).... I don't know nuance Jeep, but you are absolutely right that it's a 10 1/2" clutch (actually, 10.4 according to them)...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Woah, this is awesome!
I'd love to see any more photos you have and any more details on the swap and anything you've learned along the way.

I'm curious what year the JK is?

Please keep posting updates!

-Dan

superbuickguy

Explorer
Woah, this is awesome!
I'd love to see any more photos you have and any more details on the swap and anything you've learned along the way.

I'm curious what year the JK is?

Please keep posting updates!

-Dan
I'm treading a path done by The Pioneering Spirit - they went 4bt but similar transmission.

superbuickguy

Explorer
First off let me admit, I'm biased towards Mercedes turbo diesel motors, so if I come off like I'm "trolling"... Sorry in advance!

Secondly, I know nothing about the newer Cummins motors ( I know quite a bit about 4BT, 6BTAA, & 6CTAA motors though).

My first concern would be the "electronic" integration of the motor to the vehicles "brain".

My second concern would be the your wife's work vehicle going FORD ( found off road DEAD), and putting her and the dogs in peril!

Third being that now in "modern times", you/ she will get "laughed" out of most repair shops because the new breed of mechanics only know "plug & play" ( goes back to my first concern).

ALL NEW DIESELS now have VERY complicated injection & emission systems to meet federal standards ( you can thank "bonehead" California for that!!!). Thus, making swapping from gas to diesel a more or less "mute" point!

Here is a picture of the Mercedes OM602 DE2.9LA that I put in my Jeep Scrambler.

View attachment 834906
I'm not sure why you're bringing this up in here. Honestly, if I wanted or cared for an opinion; I'd ask.
What you like is fine, I don't care what you like nor do I particularly care why you like it.
Which is the nicest way you'll get me to say - post your own thread and leave mine alone.
continuing on.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm treading a path done by The Pioneering Spirit - they went 4bt but similar transmission.

Awesome! I've driven Jarod and Jen's JK with the 4BT and had plenty of rides in the passenger seat, and it is utterly insane. Low range 1st gear is more torque and slower than any tractor I've ever driven!
Good luck, I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
I still can't bring myself to sell my JK, so I've been thinking about giving her a new lease on life eventually...

-Dan

superbuickguy

Explorer
Awesome! I've driven Jarod and Jen's JK with the 4BT and had plenty of rides in the passenger seat, and it is utterly insane. Low range 1st gear is more torque and slower than any tractor I've ever driven!
Good luck, I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
I still can't bring myself to sell my JK, so I've been thinking about giving her a new lease on life eventually...

-Dan
some point I'll find the picture of a run I lead during one of the overland rallys - it was before Africa - I think this is the right new lease on life... and I'm all about hanging onto what you like..

spent most of the day, doesn't look like I did much at all
of course, to get that a/c pump in place required removing the motor... but that's easy
VA9t6Ur.jpg

and while I was in there, remove what was left of the motor mounts... note the rust?
VA9t6Ur.jpg

mark my words, that will be a Jeep buy back eventually.....
before removal of the plate
qLfxnY0.jpg

now nice and polished up
bxSHLmF.jpg

then started the process of designing a rear mount
8QDOP7S.jpg

yep, that's all....

superbuickguy

Explorer
starting to narrow into where the motor is going to live
as usual, starting with the rearmost
WBkLMIM.jpg

it's in there, but not right - the motor's rotation threw me off and I got the trans 3/4" to the passenger side... ah well
GKvYta4h.jpg

this rotation... what a pain to get it leveled
vs5uGUlh.jpg

but now it's about where it needs to live
GKvYta4h.jpg

the biggest headache is this low pressure line on the ps pump. It can't be rotated - it's cast into the housing
sxJdAIPh.jpg

after getting it in place, I have plenty of room behind the motor (thought I will put the radiator in place before I go full weld
tnTS6Uzh.jpg

not sure how these "for a JK" mounts are supposed to work. If you weld them to the frame the upper control arms will hit them
heJLNTsh.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
"My second concern would be the your wife's work vehicle going FORD ( found off road DEAD), and putting her and the dogs in peril!"

Hilarious. Yeah, I have to swerve around so many broken down Fords blocking the roadway everyday. How on earth do they sell an F150 every minute in this country?

OP, sweet build. I like your shop too. By the looks of it this is going to be awesome.

superbuickguy

Explorer
time for mounts
EOYlynfh.jpg

driver's side
AV5C5rBh.jpg

actually sitting on its mounts... that said, the passenger side sagged so there will be some cutting and lifting tomorrow night
YHv5fEqh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
"My second concern would be the your wife's work vehicle going FORD ( found off road DEAD), and putting her and the dogs in peril!"

Hilarious. Yeah, I have to swerve around so many broken down Fords blocking the roadway everyday. How on earth do they sell an F150 every minute in this country?

OP, sweet build. I like your shop too. By the looks of it this is going to be awesome.
Thanks... I think Ford make great parts.... e.g. the HP dana 44 in my '40 came from a f250 - stout little piece. With that said, my trailer has Ford hubcaps on it - it tows 40% better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk