Scepter MWC & MFC and Valpro NATO Jerry Can Questions

shootandfish1

Hi Folks, Long (very) time lurker, I believe this is my first post. I'm Fred, located in Central Kentucky. First, I want to thank everyone who takes the time responding to us lessor educated folks and those who have made informative youtube videos.

My older pre CARB, cheap plastic 'Biltz' 5 gal cans are needing replaced and I want to upgrade to better containers for both home storage and to increase my range when traveling. I pull a 20 ft boat with a gas F-250 and have to 'pick' places to fill-up and then wait for a suitable pump to open up. Adding 5-10 gal during a rest or meal break works well, minimizing gas station stops. Also, having portable fuel cans allows me to avoid buying gas at marinas.

Researching and learning what is a quality container without CARB nozzles has led me to Scepter Military Fuel and Water 20 l and Valpro NATO fuel cans as being some of the better containers that are still available.

Just so happens, I live about an hour from www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com. Last week I made a trip and bought 6 Valpro NATO cans and 3 Scepter MWC's. Saved about $10 shipping per can. First impressions are...........

Scepter MWC- Didn't take long to realize that this is the best water container I've every held, I got 2 tans and 1 black for solar heating. Questions-How long can water be stored before getting a 'plastic' taste? Has anyone tried freezing a gallon or so of water in a MWC and complete filling just before an outing? Looks like an adaptor for a garden hose would be a 'no-brainer', but I haven't seen one.

Valpro NATO Fuel Cans 20 l - Pros-Available and relatively inexpensive. The only thing to 'wear' is the gasket and replacements are cheap at $3. Time proven design, appears to be the 'Gold Standard' in Europe and Africa.

Cons-One much be careful not to dent or scratch the cans or your vehicle. Best when you don't have to 'handle' the cans much and let a 'Super Siphon' transfer the fuel.

I'm at a loss reguarding buying Scepter MFC's at this late stage. The MFC's are hard to find, expensive, and for gas, require a 'Viton' gasket. I can see where the Sceptor MFC's would handle constant and rough use very well, but I am concerned about the availabily of lid components (gaskets, cap shells and flanges) in the future. For the price of 2 MFW's, a extra cap, and a 3/4" nozzle, I can buy 6 of the NATO cans. (More, if I drive myself and avoid shipping)

Thoughts?

Oh! 2 last questions. What states require that a gas container be 'red' in color as opposed to 'olive drab'? and ...

Can someone recommend a proper, rugged, unbreakable 5 liter container for... Kentucky Bourbon? Have to keep one's priorities straight!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Fred

NWDISCO2

I can say first hand the water containers will hold for about a week before getting a plastic taste if new. Rinse with warm water and it helps lighten the taste. and the OD GREEN fuel cans should be fine in most states. Dont know about cali, if you go that way. I do paint a red square on mine. Cause mogas is a taste you will never forget.

Seeker

Adventurer
Run some cider vinegar through the water cans before use. This usually kills the plastic taste. I keep water in my MWC's for a few months at a time without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1