Scrambler84s 1966 M416 trailer, towed by Big Red

Scrambler84

Observer
1966 M416, 1/4 ton military trailer, came from Delaware, Guy had bought it from the State about 5 years ago.

Got it today, paid $750, bought new 6 ton pintel hitch for $100, $40 for new chains and mounting gear and $20 for new light wiring kit, already had 12 volt bulbs p/n 1156

Total so far $910

2EBC3540-8DF0-4B15-83EA-1C6245CA007E.JPG

sweet as hell, once its off the Jeep it rolls around like a giant wheelbarrow

geocrzy

Existing under the radar
I just bought one in similar condition for 800. Are you planning a build or are you gonna keep it as is? Keep us posted!

Scrambler84

Observer
take it apart, clean it up, fix anything in bad shape, paint it up (probably black, have a black CJ-8 and Red JKUR) and make a top and get a tent. lug nuts 7/16 - 20. My old scrambler rims fit too I found out, fenders are then to skinny and to small though lol

2012-08-19

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looks good with those wheels on it. Black looks good on these trailers, and yeah I hear you on the skinny fenders.

Scrambler84

Observer
Are these trailers lug nuts right hand and left hand or all the normal way? Best part bout those rims, I have 4 of them, to on trailer and 2 as spares works for me

Scrambler84

Observer
Sooo I am reviving this back from the dead, I finally got some time to move forward with this project.

Trip to the Cove, in Gore, Virginia to go wheeling, swapped 35 km2s onto jeep to wheel then back to street tires for ride home.
JK-M416.JPG

made temporary top from 3/4 plywood and 2x4s to keep tarp from falling down in the trailer when out side in the rain, other wise I would have a 4x6 swimming pool / bird bath.
2012-10-21

Took the trailer apart and power washed the crap out of it, going to tear it the rest of the way apart and prime it, thinking about painting it black with a red tub afterwards. Going to start with rebuilding the axle and paint it and the springs, replace the shocks and then paint the frame and reassemble. Then rewire the trailer and thinking change tail lights out for some cool LED ones?

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

Tub
IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

trailer upside down on jack stands, tub removed, soaked in PB blaster to loosen bolts
IMG_3133.JPG

bottom of frame, leaf springs removed, axle loose
IMG_3136.JPG

bottom of frame, front leaf spring mount
IMG_3135.JPG

bottom of frame, rear leaf spring mount
IMG_3134.JPG

bottom of frame, springs brackets removed
IMG_3137.JPG

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I remember those days well. Lots of busted knuckles and old grease on my clothes but lots of fun as well. What size tire are you trying to get under it? I did a springover and BFG 33 fits (barely) but sticks out a ways.

Scrambler84

Observer
Not sure what I'm gonna stick under it yet

sanded and primed the frame today, needs 2nd coat of primer and then to coats of black satin
IMG_3140.JPG

Scrambler84

Observer
2nd coat of primer sprayed on before the rains came
IMG_3141.JPG

1st coat of black on the frame, draw bars below it got 1st coat of primer
IMG_3142.JPG

Frame and the tires to go with it, the new lug nuts work as I had hoped and fit tightly on the rims/axle
IMG_3143.JPG

Scrambler84

Observer
Saturday's Work
cast front of the pintle hitch
IMG_3144.JPG

drawbars 2nd coat of primer
IMG_3145.JPG

Sunday's Work
lots of other parts are ready for primer
IMG_3146.JPG

even got a coat of primer on the springs and the landing gear
IMG_3147.JPG

Scrambler84

Observer
I remember those days well. Lots of busted knuckles and old grease on my clothes but lots of fun as well. What size tire are you trying to get under it? I did a springover and BFG 33 fits (barely) but sticks out a ways.

tires I have laying around are 31x10.5x15 old wranglers, planing on something bigger once i find some money under a tree or something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1