Shocks for a Gen1 SWB?

GrantC

Observer
It’s getting time to replace the shock absorbers on my ’87 SWB (2.6l, 5sp). Like most rigs, it spends 80% of its time on pavement; the rest is on gravel, unmaintained, and “historic” roads. Many of the roads I travel are heavily rutted or washboarded. (It’s the washboard that gives that short wheelbase a rough time!) I don’t rock crawl or mud at all.

Of course everyone suggests KYB Gas-A-Just, but I’ve also heard that they’re on the stiff side. I don’t want a firmer ride if that means it’s going to be rough on the washboard, especially if that firmness causes the vehicle to "walk" on a washboarded corner.

Others suggest the Bilstein 4600, but they only make them for the rear (no front models available according to the Bilstein website.) I need front and rear.

Any suggestions (or more feedback on the KYB?)

plh

Explorer
There is a part number for the Gen 1 Bil 4600 front shocks. I know I have it written somewhere.

GrantC

Observer
I'd love to have it, because Bilstein doesn't seem to think it exists!

What do you think of the 4600s versus the KYBs?

plh

Explorer
Bilsteins on my Gen 3 were a HUGE improvement over KYB. Its the only one of my trucks that I can do a shock to shock comparison. Check out B6 4600 24-013369 for your Gen 1.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...

Real happy with Tokico Trekmasters, got them in eBay. Inexpensive, the fronts came in blue suggesting they are HP's but they came in Trekmaster boxes. Either way they are really well behaved like 4600's

GrantC

Observer
Bilsteins on my Gen 3 were a HUGE improvement over KYB. Its the only one of my trucks that I can do a shock to shock comparison. Check out B6 4600 24-013369 for your Gen 1.
Thanks! Bilstein says they fit '89-'90 Monteros; apparently no one told them that the fronts are the same from '83 on. Everyone else seems to have that figured out.

Poopy that nobody publishes their valving or shock dyno information so it's close to impossible to make an informed cross reference without the expense of buy-and-try :(
Luckily we have forums where we can learn from the expense of others! ;)

Toasty

Remember Gen 1's have trunnions on bottom and they don't always cooperate coming out of the old shocks and into the new ones. Lots of guys have had problems here (not me, ever.) just something to be aware of.

GrantC

Observer
Remember Gen 1's have trunnions on bottom and they don't always cooperate coming out of the old shocks and into the new ones. Lots of guys have had problems here (not me, ever.) just something to be aware of.
???
All the pics of the Bilsteins I can find show the trunnions included and already installed in the shock. In fact, the KYBs all show the trunnion included as well.

Toasty

For some reason i read Gen 2 front shocks on a Gen 1, my bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1