soft side bag water storage question

Anyone used an ARB Flexitank or similar soft bag storage solution on a off road trailer?

Given the layout of my Tentrax, I like the idea of mounting a soft bag down low over the axle inside the storage area of the tub since I am not fond of the various tongue weight solutions commonly employed (read Jerry cans or hard sided tanks) that sit way forward of the trailer axle.

I'm curious tho about tie down options on soft bags and how folks who have experience with a soft bag might have secured the bag. My thought is to lay it directly on the bottom of the Tentrax tub, secure it to corner tie downs and then construct a removable shelf above it for additional storage.

Thanx in advance for thoughts or comments.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Interesting question!

I don't have any experience with them off road but do have some experience with them in long distance sailboat racing. Most of us try to avoid using them given they always seem to find a way to chaff and spring a leak. I would think that the dirt / dust factor and constant high frequency vibration of off road travel would increase the likely hood of the chaffing issue and springing a leak. The sailboat racing we deal with rough conditions dropping off waves at speed and quick speed changes both in deceleration and acceleration which is the primary source of the movement and chaff issues that seem to cause failure or leaking of the bags. Some guys spend considerable efforts on the space the bag is stored to try and eliminate this issue but most of us just opt for hard tanks to avoid the risk.

Seems like all the same factors would be in play with the off road trailer idea only you have the added issue of the higher frequency vibration from the road surface and the dirt and dust factor that could enhance the chaffing if the bags get exposed to the dirt?

I have read on some Australian forums that folks have had to deal with chafing but then there are many more who claim no problem. The area I have in mind would be completely enclosed while the vehicle is in motion and only randomly accessed at camp. Movement however is a concern and frankly, there is not enough information on the ARB website to discern anything about tie down points. I'm guessing I will have to call them up to get additional info.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I considered many water storage options when I restored my Bantam trailer, including soft sided water bags. In the end I decided that the disadvantages outweighed the advantages and secured a rectangular tank from http://ronco-plastics.com/ in the tub directly over the axle.

I hear you.... I would have never looked into the soft storage solution had it not been in the last issue of OJ where they raised some good points. I like down low and over the axle.... Most trailers seem to have the tanks up high and in front if the axle which is just crap for tongue weight.

rayra

Expedition Leader
how about a hard-sided HDPE squat rectangular tank, under the bed / over the axle, akin to a gas tank or RV water / grey water tank? Plumbed, many sizes, relatively puncture proof. The latter being the biggest concern with any 'bag' design. The polyehtylene tanks come in some pretty squat shapes, easy to sandwich in wherever you want.

vati kaki

Observer
3aaf6c69a297544d3efaba30e0b7ccbf.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/10/100d7cf7be58888e
d2691353dd36082a.jpg
I hang mine of the roofrack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad