SOLD - Sportsmobile 4x4 Camper Van - $85k

B_Dub003

This 2006 Ford E350 Sportsmobile 4x4 with a 6.0l diesel is fully loaded with almost every conceivable option, has been meticulously taken care of since day one and is currently sitting at 150k miles. The van has a clear title and I have the pink slip in hand. I also have a folder with the original Sportsmobile binder, manuals to nearly every accessory installed and all of the service records that date back to 2009 when the van had 15k miles on it. I also have a Google doc that has all of the service intervals making it easy to track what has been done and what needs to be done next to keep the van running in top shape. The van is super clean inside and out and everything works as it should. I'm looking to sell it for $85k.

I am located in Occidental, CA which is about 1.5 north of San Francisco.

I'm new to the forum and excited to be a part of it so any suggestions or constructive criticism is appreciated. I took about 100 pictures, so if there is something in particular that you would like to see, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to share them.

Sportsmobile (A).jpeg
Sportsmobile (B).jpeg
Sportsmobile (C).jpeg
Sportsmobile (D).jpg
Sportsmobile (E).jpeg
Sportsmobile (F).jpeg
Sportsmobile (G).jpeg
Sportsmobile (H).jpeg
Sportsmobile (I).jpeg
Sportsmobile (J).jpeg

Details:

1. Interior: This van has the coveted RB-50 layout which was modeled after the VW Westfalia's. This is the most sought-after layout of the 40 something that Sportsmobile offers as it has the most living space, storage space and sleeps four adults comfortably. The manual penthouse top is easy to raise and takes seconds to do. It has a comfortable 83" x 53" sleeping area that I had professionally extended as I am 6'4". The lower bench seat folds into a comfortable 72" x 50" sleeping area. With the top popped up, you have 80" of interior height which is great for us tall guys and gals! The layout of this setup was to maximize every square inch and it has so much storage for just about everything that it literally has storage for your storage! Honestly though, it's very well thought out. Here is a list of the interior features:

The van seats five comfortably with a shoulder/lap belt on the passenger side and lap belts on the center and driver’s side of the rear bench seat.

Norcold DC-0051 12v 2.7 cubic foot fridge with freezer

Microwave with turntable

Sink with 16,5-gallon fresh water tank and 6-gallon grey water tank

"Flat Plate" heat exchanger which gives you hot water from the engine coolant

Outside shower out of the rear of the van

Star Cool AC for rear of van

Table mounted under bench seat (see pictures of it set up)

Leather bench and captain seats with new leather on the driver's seat.

180 degree swiveling passenger seat which makes it quite comfortable for 2-3 people to hang out inside.

Numerous 12v plugs and 110v outlets to power everything you have.

Tripp Lite RV2012UL 2000w inverter

2 x 100w Zamp solar panels mounted on with Zamp Solar ZS-30A solar controller / battery charger.

Lifeline GPL-4DL AGM house battery

LED lighting throughout interior and porch light

17" drop down monitor for watching movies

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX head unit which literally has all the bells and whistles! Navigation, back up camera, DVD, USB with Apple lightening cable, HDMI, Apple CarPlay and of course, amazing sound!

$6k+ stereo with 6 channel JL 6450 amplifier, 5 MB Quart 6" x 8" speakers and JL 8" subwoofer mounted in
low-profile custom box.

Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB radio with weather channels and external PA speaker

Avital alarm with keyless entry and remote start

Smart auto-dimming rear view mirror with temperature and compass

Edge Insight CTS monitor with many different programmable gauges. Currently set up to monitor engine oil temperature, engine coolant temperature, transmission coolant temperature, average fuel economy and turbo boost PSI. Sorry, no tunes to ECM.

Power windows, power door locks, power driver's seat and cruise control

Rear underfloor storage for tools and recovery gear (sorry none of the gear in the picture will be included).

Tinted front windows

WeatherTech floor mats in driver's and front passenger area

2. Now let's talk about the drivetrain and exterior of the van which is awesome! With a decently short wheel base (regular body van), 35" tires, a limited slip rear differential, Dyntarac front axle with locking differential, 4.10 gears, Atlas II transfer case and a ton of low end torque from a powerful 6.0l diesel engine, you'd be quite surprised where this van will take you!

6.0l diesel engine: Now if you've been doing your research, you've probably surmised that this engine had many inherent issues and it did. The key word here is "it did". If you are after one of these vans with a 6.0l diesel, do yourself a favor and do your research as "bullet proofing" is a common term thrown around for the "cure" to these engines. However, there is a quite a bit to what actually "bullet proofing" one of these engines entails. At the core, this is really a great engine that produces a lot of power and gets great fuel economy. However, if you haven't addressed each issue, it's not a matter of if, but when you will have an issue. Lucky for you, both the previous owner and myself have addressed all the inherent 6.0l diesel issues to make this engine extremely reliable.

Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) and High-Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) replaced around 90k-95k miles (have records).

EGR clogged at around 105k miles (in Baja of all places) and took the engine with it. A new long block engine was purchased from a Ford dealer in AZ (have records) and the new engine was installed. The van was driven back and had then a Bullet Proof EGR and external oil cooler were installed (have records). With the Amsoil dual bypass filter system and external oil cooler, this engine has 17 quarts of full synthetic Amsoil flowing threw it keeping it nice and happy.

New Powermax turbo installed at around 135k miles (have records) which gave it a little bit more power without overwhelming the stock engine.

New Motorcraft fuel injectors installed in the left bank around 135k miles (have records).

Head gaskets replaced at 144k miles, ARP head studs installed (The only way to go so that your head gaskets are rock solid and don't leak. If a 6.0l engine does not have the head stud upgrade, it will eventually blow a head gasket unfortunately). Low pressure oil pump replaced (LPOP), new Alliant water pump along with all engine seals to ensure that this engine has no leaks. New Motorcraft fuel injectors installed in the right bank as well to finally address all of the issues and make this 6.0l diesel truly "bullet proofed" and thus, a very reliable engine (have records). Essentially the engine has 40k miles on it, was just torn down, gone through, added head studs along with having every seal replaced by the best diesel shop in the area.

The van gets surprisingly good fuel economy at around 14-15 mpg average. Not bad for a 9k lb. van!

Now that I've taken you through the engine journey, let's go through all the awesome features that make this van so capable off road and able to carry all of your gear wherever your journey takes you:

BFG All Terrain 315/75R16 (basically 35's) installed at 116,641 miles. They've been rotated every 5k miles which I just had done and was told that they have 15-20k miles left on them.

American Racing Teflon coated 16"x 8" wheels with two different locking lug-nuts per wheel.

Atlas II transfer case which allows you to independently control the front and rear differentials.

Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 front axle with locking differential and 4.10 gears.

Warn premium locking hubs

Stock Ford limited slip rear differential with 4.10 gears replaced at 132k miles

Custom valved Fox shocks for Sportsmbile with steering stabilizer installed around 119k miles (have records).

Front sway bar disconnects

Aluminess front bumper (yea aluminum!) with Hella fog and off-road lights along with Smittybilt X2O comp 12k lb. winch with synthetic line and wireless remote.

Professionally built custom aluminum front skid plate to protect Bullet Proof oil cooler.

HID high beam headlights, halogen low beams.

Aluminess rear bumper with full-size swing out spare tire mount, swing out mount for four Jerry cans (sorry Jerry cans and chainsaw mount are not included) and auxiliary halogen lights (bright!) along with super cool rear storage.

Aluminess side ladder

Yakima roof rack with adjustable tracks (sorry, Mcleod, shovel and mount not included).

Fiamma F45s awning

ATS running boards making it easier to get in and out of this beast.

Custom 4" exhaust from down pipe back with stainless steel muffler

Tansfer Flow 46-gallon fuel tank (fills to 35 gallons and gives an average of about a 450-500 mile range).

Rear brakes and rotors replaced at 142k, front brakes and rotors replaced at 148k.

Lastly for those who care, the length of the van is 235" (front bumper to rear Jerry can holder) as this is the regular body length, not the extended one. The width is 85" and the height is 97" (penthouse top down to top of Yakima rack).

Thank you for taking the time to read my ad. As you can see there was a lot to describe so hopefully it paints a clearer picture of what this van is, how much it was loved and taken care of along with if it will be a good fit for you. After reading this, you may be asking yourself "It's awesome, why are you selling it?" The answer to that is that we've thoroughly enjoyed this van for three years now, however my wife and I have decided that we want to go in a different direction for an overlanding vehicle.

If you are not a member of the forum, you can contact me directly at waugh.d.brian at gmail.com or seven zero 7, 7 eight 7, 8 zero 3 four.

Last edited:

B_Dub003

I'll be heading out of the North Bay and down through the East Bay on my way over to Pinecrest and Sonora Pass this Friday for the weekend. If you live around these areas and are interested in checking the van out, let me know.

Cheers

B_Dub003

The van handled like a champion exploring the trails around Pinecrest and Sonora Pass last weekend! I mentioned in the ad that I'm looking to part ways with it at the end of October, however if you need the van sooner, I am certainly open to having a conversation.

Cheers

2018-09-01 11-29-15.jpeg
2018-09-02 09-29-49.jpeg

B_Dub003

I just had someone message me inquiring if it has a manual or electric pop-top. It has the manual option and is easy to raise with the two-step stool which is included with the van.

B_Dub003

In case you were curious as I had someone ask: The van seats five comfortably with a shoulder/lap belt on the passenger side and lap belts on the center and driver’s side of the rear bench seat.

B_Dub003

I just updated the mileage to 147k and the Craigslist ad link as it was getting flagged for removal for some reason.

Cheers

Rockey709

Very sweet rig! And very small world. I grew up in occidental (now in San Diego). Good luck with the sale. I’d recommend posting it down here on CL. There is a huge demand and low supply in this area. Just saying... GLWS.

B_Dub003

My apologies for the late reply as I didn't see your message come in... Wow, that is too funny! I grew up here as well, left in 2003 and talked my girlfriend (now wife) into moving back so we did in 2013. I hope that we never have to leave! Yes, I thought about posting in different cities, however I've been having a big problem getting flagged here in the SF Bay Area so I've been trying to work around that. Here is my ad: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/d/sportsmobile-4x4-overland-van/6712711806.html Not sure why I'm being flagged though! I'll give the the SD CL a shot as I'm sure that people are gearing up for Baja trips. Cheers

B_Dub003

My wife and I are going to be doing a road trip for around two weeks starting this Monday 10/15. The tentative plan is to head north up the Oregon Coast, over to Portland and Hood River, down to Bend, Oakridge and Ashland. If you are up in Oregon and would like to check the van out, feel free to let me know.

B_Dub003

00755491-406F-4FA7-8901-E664E64AE719.jpeg

Just got into Oregon today. Stopped on the edge of the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest to make coffee and breakfast. On to Crater Lake!

B_Dub003

We've been having a great time road tripping through Oregon with the van! We are in Hood River today and then moving on to Portland. Tomorrow we'll be heading over to the Oregon Coast and making our way back down to Ashland by Friday. If you are in any of these areas and would like to check the van out, shoot me a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk