Sportsmobile Jacks...Bottle v. High Lift?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have a friend with a SMB, and we're trying to come to a conclusion as to the type of jack needed for all-around useage.

It's a 4WD diesel running 315/70 BFGs.

The bottle jack that came with it barely has enough lift to get the tire off the ground...and that means digging out a little under the tire.

I like bottle jacks for tire changing as they seem more stable, but a high lift might do the job as well.

So, what are the other owners of SMBs here using?

-H-

jkam

nomadic man
I'd consider an airbag jack also.

http://www.air-jack.com/

Product-20024319611.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
My van is taller than a SMB, and use a bottle jack. It's a Craftsman. I can lift the van high enough to swap a tire. I also keep a piece of 4x4 in the toolbox.

EMrider

Explorer
I have a friend with a SMB, and we're trying to come to a conclusion as to the type of jack needed for all-around useage.

It's a 4WD diesel running 315/70 BFGs.

The bottle jack that came with it barely has enough lift to get the tire off the ground...and that means digging out a little under the tire.

I like bottle jacks for tire changing as they seem more stable, but a high lift might do the job as well.

So, what are the other owners of SMBs here using?

-H-

I carry two 6 ton (maybe 8 ton, can't remember) bottle jacks and also carry around a big 4" thick wood block for extra lift if necessary. These jacks can easily get the van up high enough to change a tire. My major concern is stability and I'm more confident in my ability to use a bottle jack than a hi-lift. I know of other owners who also carry a hi-lift with them so I'm sure that can do the trick too.

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
I carry both. Bottle jack for changing a tire.

Hi-Lift with the wheel lift attachment so if I get stuck (without a flat tire) I can pick up the one tire/wheel and then throw some rocks underneath to gain traction.

steve

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
You might want to look at getting one of the new two stage bottle jacks. They lift twice as high and are very compact and easy to carry. I had one come with my truck and had never seen one before. I think most of the usual outlets, like Northern Tool, carry them now as the Chinese have the designs.

Rich H

iplayoutside

We carry a Hi Lift and a couple of modified factory jacks (light, strong, and cheap) with ground plates and various blocks of wood.

Our Hi Lift would not lift a big SMB (13000 lbs) very easly by it's self. Our van is a bit lighter (9500 lbs).

Hope this helps.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Just last night I was talking to my framing contractor neighbor and he mentioned this. Assuming that they are useful here, anyone who can pick up a 12" x 12" x 6" block of wood from 93003 can have one for free. There are 5, maybe 6 of these. I hate to see them just get recycled, but I've no use for them. They'll be gone in a couple days at the longest. I can store for a short while, so let me know to grab one for you if you can use it. To avoid further hi-jacking, please PM about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal