Starlink or Other Recommendation?

We live in the Sierra foothills of CA where ISP and power outages are a way of life. We also have an overlanding van and travel to remote locations in the western US, the more remote the better. Currently have an ATT hot spot that serves as a backup for our home and overlanding connectivity, however is “spotty/totally fails” while on the road/overlanding in remote locations. We’d like to be connected while driving (in excess of 10 MPH) down the highway and offroad, and use the setup as a backup to our home ISP. What Starlink or other ISP service do you recommend?

rruff

Explorer
Based on what I've been able to find out, Starlink is the only choice. If you want to use it while in motion the plan for that quite expensive. A $2500 dish, and $250/mo for 50GB of mobile priority data... vs $600 and $120 or $150/mo unlimited with the other plans. I don't know if anyone has had success using the basic roam service at higher speeds.

Hegear

Standard works fine while driving. Used the first gen driving down the Baja watching the World Cup a few years ago. I would imagine that the 3rd gen would be even better as it’s not designed to move/reposition.

rruff

Explorer
^^^ Many are saying this is the case... which makes me wonder why it isn't restricted, and if it will be shortly...

WanderingBison

^^^ Many are saying this is the case... which makes me wonder why it isn't restricted, and if it will be shortly...

Yes, maybe but SL has been telling us they disable any in motion use over 10 MPH for well over a year now and they haven’t.

To make matters worse even more confusing, they allow users to enable an in motion subscription on “standard” dish, not just the expensive high performance dish.

My take was over a year ago to modify and use a standard dish in motion until I can’t.

At $2500 for a HP dish, I could add a cellular plan on my mobile router for two years and simply continue using my standard dish when stationary if they decided to enforce the in-motion rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk