Surprised No One Is Talking About Cat Thefts

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I keep reading in the news about catalytic converter thefts. This seems to be an exploding problem.

One guy recently was arrested out west with @ 100 stolen units in his possession! And one unlucky gal took her car into the shop to get the stolen cat replaced, and then found the new one had also been cut off and stolen while her car still sat overnight at the shop waiting for her to pick it up the next day!

Anyway, since this is a growing trend, and replacing a missing converter is hugely expensive, I’m thinking the theft trend will grow to include unattended vehicles left at trailheads, boat launches, even some of the more remote camp spots.

So, anyway, why I posted here... I’ve read there is some kind of ‘protection’ that can be welded on to under body frames to frustrate cat thieves and maybe help owners avoid theft and wonders if anyone knew more about this or had done it to their rig?

Of course, considering the tools used to steal a converter, it’s kind of hard to think of what you could do to actually protect your rig that also wouldn’t be similarly overcome by a determined thief.

Any ideas?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've not done it, but yes you can weld some cable or a rebar cage around the cat. A muffler shop should be able to hook you up!

MiamiC70

I don’t like cats Of either kind.

However, the stolen catalytic thing isn’t a “thing” in Florida. I think combination of no auto inspection, you crawl under a car here and you’re getting 3rd degree burns and finally, if the cars owner catches you in the act you are getting extra ventilation holes.

ITTOG

Luckily my wifes cats are fine.

Now for catalytic converters...
I remember a guy posted on the F150 ecoboost forums a couple years ago his company welded cables and other devices to prevent them from being stollen on their fleet of like 40 trucks. Every catalytic converter was stollen the following weekend. Nothing will solve the problem if parked outside.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Maybe discouraged by a vibration monitor that dumps tire air?

It is an issue everywhere. Metal theftof all kinds remains an issue here too. I think it went down a bit when they started making scrapyards pay by mailing a check though.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I don’t like cats Of either kind.

However, the stolen catalytic thing isn’t a “thing” in Florida. I think combination of no auto inspection, you crawl under a car here and you’re getting 3rd degree burns and finally, if the cars owner catches you in the act you are getting extra ventilation holes.

LOL....you think AZ isn’t hot and doesn’t have the similar gun laws? We are and we do, but that’s not stopped anyone. Here is I think the current Guinness World Book of Records holder:

Police (in Arizona) arrest man suspected of stealing over 100 catalytic converters in Tempe, the Valley
https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...er-100-catalytic-converters-tempe/6946147002/

Last edited:

VanWaLife

According to my buddy that saw it happen in broad daylight, four guys jump out of a car, pick up one side of a Prius, a fifth cuts it out.

tacollie

Glamper
My brothers had 4 neighbors get their def filters stolen off there trucks in one night. The funny part is there were 3 laying in his car port that you could see from the street that didn't get stolen. That's in Russell Kansas.

• Haha
Reactions: mog

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
The advent of powerful cordless tools enabled all manner of theft previously unheard of.
A cordless Sawzall is not exactly quiet, but its only a 30 second job.
Ah I was thinking some kind of pipe cutter maybe, the kind with the rolling cutting wheel where you crank up the pressure on it - people are shocked to find their car with a big hole in the exhaust in the AM, but they're probably inside listening to surround sound while it happens.

ripperj

Explorer
What do you do with 100 stolen converters? Rip the guts and sell it? To who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design