Swiss Military Off Road Trailer Build

DMill556

Observer
I found a nice military trailer, I really wanted a M416 trailer but all of them I found were too expensive or in bad shape. This trailer is about the same size as the M416. I plan on adding wheels, tires, lid, and a rtt to get it camp ready. Later on I want to add a tounge box with a battery, rear sliding drawer with a kitchen setup, and water storage.

DMill556

Observer
I found some used wheels and tires for a great price

Here's a mock up of what they will look like on the trailer. I need to find some wheel adapters to mount them.

DMill556

Observer
I want to try to keep some of the trailer original. I would like to keep the rear stabilizers for the RTT but they hang down too low, any ideas on how to modify them? Plus I'm not sure if I should keep the caution triangles, any input would be helpful.

brian90744

American Trekker
nice find.

keep it original, you don't need oversize tires they don't drive anything ( less MPG) keep the stabilizers. this trailer looks beefier than the M416 and has a tailgate. and Europe rear round hitch ( find on EBay) and has spring/axle over. This is One of a kind. great find, what kind of cost?? any more around??
thanks=brian

Last edited:

DMill556

Observer
Thanks, I really wanted an M416 because of the style and shape of the tube, but I lucked out and found this trailer for $800, the M416 were around $1000. The guy I bought it from only had this one, it was covered up in the back of his lot. It does seem really strong and well built. From what I can tell the tub is one piece of thick sheet metal bent at each front corner. I haven't been able to find very much info or pics of this trailer online, there is one thread on expedition portal buts that's all I have been able to find.

DMill556

Observer
The main reason I wanted to go with bigger tires was to make it wider. I think it will make it better for off road and more stable for the RTT. Plus it does look good with the jeep with closer matching wheels and tires :)

hansrober

Adventurer
I think I saw thread about a fellow in LasVegas(?) importing and selling a few of them a while back. It seems like he had a bunch of NATO fuel or water cans for sale.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Do the rear stabilizers have a stop to keep then from going higher or do they hit the tub lip?
if they hit the lip cut the top off so they retract the full way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1