Teardrop build...

oz97tj

Observer
I've been wanting to build an offroad teardrop for a while. After many years camping in tents, a trip last June set the ball in motion. It rained. A bunch. My trusty tent that had never leaked before, decided it had enough. There were constant streams of water coming through in multiple spots and camping was miserable. After about 3 nights of this, the little lady told me to build the trailer. Woo hoo for leaky tents!

Then we came up with a plan to take a scenic drive while on the way to Florida for our wedding and take the teardrop and camp along the way. So, here we are in February, and the wedding in is April. I've never built one of these before so this could get interesting.

I've been gathering materials for a while now, but haven't started anything until today. I started with a pile of steel.
2011-02-21_15-06-36_512.jpg

A torsion axle...
2011-02-21_15-07-30_913.jpg

A little work done...
2011-02-21_16-37-45_323.jpg

And finally with the axle mounted but still some work to do...
2011-02-21_20-23-49_636.jpg

Was only able to work on it for about 3 or so hours today and that is where it ended. The frame still will get a cross brace in the center and the sides need to be finished.

The original plan was to have the wheels set into the body with only about half the tires sticking outside. However, I screwed up. When I ordered the axle, I didn't account for the deep offset on the stock Jeep wheels. They would hit the torsion arms, so I had to get some wheel spacers. This pushed the wheels out so far that my originally planned outside measurement of 65 inches would only be about 3 inches wider than the inside of the tires. 3 inches just isn't worth going through all the work of building wheel wells, so the plan is changed to narrow the cabin to fit between the tires and then standard fenders can be mounted.

Tomorrow, finish up the frame and final weld.

obscurotron

Adventurer
I'm in the planning stages of the same thing, but probably not building a custom frame. This will be my 2nd teardrop, but the first was not really for offroad. You can definitely do this by April. The first one I did was built in 26 1/2 days, from piles of lumber and parts to tagged and registered.

Which axle is that? I need one in 6x5.5 since I run a Toyota, not a Jeep.

So far, so good. Tagging this thread for updates!

oz97tj

Observer
I'm in the planning stages of the same thing, but probably not building a custom frame. This will be my 2nd teardrop, but the first was not really for offroad. You can definitely do this by April. The first one I did was built in 26 1/2 days, from piles of lumber and parts to tagged and registered.

Which axle is that? I need one in 6x5.5 since I run a Toyota, not a Jeep.

So far, so good. Tagging this thread for updates!

I ordered the axle through teardroptrailerparts.com. Frank is the owner of the place and is great to work with. I'll also be getting quite a few other things from him. He has great prices and is somewhat local to me so that helps.

More specifically, I think the axle was mfg by Axis or something like that. I'll have to check the tag again. It's a 3500 lb axle with the capacity derated to 2000lbs. For reference, I was able to order it complete with hubs (no brakes) for $200. That was cheaper than many straight axles I priced by the time I figured springs and hubs and such. You can order it basically any way you want with whatever bolt pattern / widths / capacity / etc. Just don't do what I did. Specifiy the backspacing on your wheels if you use some stockers with deep backspacing like I did, or at least plan for spacer from the start.

obscurotron

Adventurer
Many thanks for the source and the gotcha warning. :)

I wonder - has anyone ever pondered a bolted-together teardrop frame? I only ask from a modular perspective, i.e. it would be easier to make the trailer multiuse/multiconfiguration.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Cool project.

Here's my little tidbit of advice ---- let your spouse contribute a wish-list and make sure you incorporate some or most of her ideas.
It really really helps with your budget in the long run and will make for better memories to come.

Good luck.

oz97tj

Observer
Many thanks for the source and the gotcha warning. :)

I wonder - has anyone ever pondered a bolted-together teardrop frame? I only ask from a modular perspective, i.e. it would be easier to make the trailer multiuse/multiconfiguration.

I looked today and it is Axis. I don't have any idea if you could order direct or not.

Regarding the bolt together frames, here is what I've learned. They can be used but they are light duty so if you plan to pull offroad you would likely have to reinforce it. On the other hand, many people overbuild their trailers which is just unneeded weight. To be honest, mine is probably overbuilt, but we'll see how it does before I try to build it much lighter.
The other issue is depending on the size you plan to build, options of prebuilt trailers are limited. My original plan was such that I would have been changing one around anyway so I figured I should just build what I need. With my wheel mistake though, it's now ending up basically 5 ft by 8 ft.

For all the info you could want on teardrops, visit Mikenchell.com and check out their forums.

Cool project.

Here's my little tidbit of advice ---- let your spouse contribute a wish-list and make sure you incorporate some or most of her ideas.
It really really helps with your budget in the long run and will make for better memories to come.

Good luck.

We've had quite a few discussions about it. Most of them go something like, "What do you want in a trailer?" She replies, "A nice mattress and to stay warm." Ok then. lol

oz97tj

Observer
Today, I didn't get as much done as planned. Did most of the final welding and got it narrowed down to the new width. Still need to do a few cross braces and such and then the frame will be done.

Also for kicks, while doing a few other things in the garage, I pulled the frame out and set it up behind the jeep to see how it would set. Looks about perfect...
2011-02-22_16-51-07_157.jpg

This is how it sets right now. Doesn't look much different...
2011-02-22_19-32-25_241.jpg

Back to work tomorrow. I'll finish up the welding and then next Monday will start with the wood.

I also need a good name for this thing. Anyone have any good ideas?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We've had quite a few discussions about it. Most of them go something like, "What do you want in a trailer?" She replies, "A nice mattress and to stay warm." Ok then. lol
Get her to run through a camping trip in her mind for you. Sleeping, waking up, bathroom activities, cooking/eating, changing, showering. Have her picture it.
Then she can make her wish list.

With most of the women I've known, a good potty and shower mean success ---- followed by a comfy bed and the happiness of the offspring and/or pets.

STREGA

Explorer
Get her to run through a camping trip in her mind for you. Sleeping, waking up, bathroom activities, cooking/eating, changing, showering. Have her picture it.
Then she can make her wish list.

With most of the women I've known, a good potty and shower mean success ---- followed by a comfy bed and the happiness of the offspring and/or pets.

Great advice. With my wife as long as she is warm, dry and has a bathroom close by shes happy, if I don't meet these basic things I may as well bring a grizzly bear camping with me. A comfy sleeping surface is always a good thing.

Having the GF/wife putting in some sweat equity/ideas is a good way to make the project successful IMO. Actually it would be impossible for me to get some things done without the help of my wifes small hands, shes a great helper. While she is helping me I can explain why I'am doing something in a certain way and show her how to use it properly, so when we do get out camping she already knows how to use it.

To the OP nice start to your TD build, should be nice when you are finished. Great to see all these offroad TD being built, hope to have mine by summer.

oz97tj

Observer
I got wood!

Plywood that is. Today I went and bought all the wood I'll need minus some luan. I started cutting the floor out. I had to add 1/2 inch spacers under the floor to make the floor all flat. My trailer frame has a 2 1/2 inch tongue and the rest is 2 inch. The extra half inch was supposed to hang off the bottom, but due to the axle crown I had to actually use the flat part for the bottom which made the bottom the top. I could have built some spacers for the axle mount to lower it a bit, but I figured wood spacers would be easier to work with. So, long story short, I had to cut out spacers for under the floor but I don't have pictures.

Here is the floor completed...
2011-02-28_15-44-40_452.jpg

I then started the walls. The first one was drawn out and cut with a jigsaw. The second was just placed over the first and traced out with a router.
2011-02-28_18-11-53_102.jpg

I then routered the bottom inside edge of both sidewalls so they would be partially sitting on top of the floor.
2011-02-28_18-50-30_132.jpg

Both walls went up smoothly so I used some scrap from cutting the walls out to hold it all up.
2011-02-28_20-09-44_237.jpg

2011-02-28_20-10-03_393.jpg

I also cut out the wall / closet or whatever you want to call it that is at the front of the cabin, and mounted it. I still need to cut out the center though. I'm thinking of cutting a large hole in the center to give it a bit more character, but we'll see how it looks. I didn't get any photos of it installed.

Tomorrow, cut the rear wall / partition and mount it all up. Once I'm comfortable with the fit of things, I'll pull it all back apart and flip the floor over to epoxy it up.

oz97tj

Observer
Well, today took way longer than it should have. The dreaded snoopy neighbors kept interupting progress. lol Twice, guys walking by, saw the teardrop in the driveway and decided to check it out a little further. Each guy took over an hour of BSing. Guess next time it needs to stay in the garage! Both guys were real nice though and I got to meet some neighbors that I've never met before so it was good day.

Anyway, got the galley partition all mocked up, tore it all back apart and epoxied the bottom.

Sitting out in the sun. It was a balmy 38 degrees...
2011-03-01_15-25-47_852.jpg

Galley partition...
2011-03-01_17-44-29_402.jpg

I didn't take a photo of the bottom of the floor being epoxied. I'll give it a good couple days to cure, and then I'll reassemble and work on the ceilling and roof.

STREGA

Explorer
Making good progress despite the nieghbors, of course they may come in handy sometime when you need that third hand to hold something for ya! :)

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Making good progress despite the nieghbors, of course they may come in handy sometime when you need that third hand to hold something for ya! :)

Dad always said if you were coming to his house, come prepared to help out. I say put 'em to work!

:sombrero:

oz97tj

Observer
hahaha. The first guy I was just real polite and chatted with him. About 30 minutes into the second guy, I was starting to think about having him help!

I grew up in the sticks so this whole neighbors walking up my driveway thing is a bit new to me. This is the first big project that I've done that was so visible to them. It's kind of a pain, but cool too getting to meet people. If it continues, I'm thinking they may be holding stuff for me though.:victory:

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
looking forward to seeing this build ,there is a site i looked at a while back that was all teardrop projects loved the idea,will try to find it ..then i thought about a trailer with rtt ,but wow rtts are spendy with the trailer ,this could work for me .great job and your pics etc are not in vain ,think about us guys out here you are inspiring ,,one question ,how do you plan on using your trailer ,4x4 trails ?dirt roads ?both ? :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1