Thinking about a JDM swap and 5spd

Dolomiti

Adventurer
I am thinking about ditching the 3.5l and getting a 4d56t diesel and associated manual transmission. The 4d56t that I saw has an AWD transmission. Is that a misnomer or am I getting into more than a pretty straight forward swap?

JamesW

Adventurer
If it is from a second generation pajero then it will have the super select,if it's from a pajero sport (challenger in Japan) or L200 then it won't.

Word of warning though,the 2.5 TD is a small bit under powered,and pretty low geared for a lot of 50+ MPH cruising,and gets a bit thirsty at those speeds. The 2.5 manual does about 3000RPM at 60MPH,which is nearing the end of it's power band.

That being said,there is a nice bit of torque,and they can be tuned pretty easily to get a bit more grunt out of the engine.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I would love a manual in my montero along with a diesel. After my calculations, cheapest its gona cost me is $4k.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The 4D56 is setup like the 4 cylinder gas motors as far as mounts and things go, the 4M40 is setup like the V6's. If i were to swap out a 3.5 for a diesel it would be the 4M40 because it just goes in, swaps can get pretty involved when they're not a motor offered in your trucks configuration. Although the 4D56 was offered in a gen 2 it really wouldn't be that hard but consider it in the same realm as swapping in any of the other 4 cylinder Montero motors.
There is a really good write up on swapping a 4M40 into a Gen 2 with a 3.5 on 4x4wire.com, maybe go read through that.

JamesW

Adventurer
Found the thread.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1227767&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I nearly bought a 2.8 manual a few weeks ago,for the equivalent of $600 USD, because the injector pump in mine has pooped the bed.

What to watch out for on the 2.8 is the heads can crack,and the seals in the injector pumps can get old and leaky like mine did,and if you fix it yourself it goes wrong :ylsmoke:

The manual gearboxes are tough as they come,but are shockingly vague and a bit notchy. But they have much better ratios than the 2.5 manual box

The 2.8 also won't fit in the 3.0 I dont think,they have a bigger bell housing which is why they come with a factory body lift. Should be a simple enough swap for you if you decide to do it. It just might be hard to find the engine in the States

plh

Explorer
You will end up grabbing little bits and pieces from all over the globe being the diesels are not offered in the states. Ask me how I know... my list so far: Power Steering Hose (I fabricated one), Tach (Thailand), Oil Cooler Lines (fabricated), Oil Cooler (aftermarket) Power Steering Pump Tank (Thailand), Airconditioner Bracket and Compressor (Thailand), Glow Plug Controller (engineered and fabricated a timer & relay system), Oil Filter (took me 4 days and found the only one left in Milwaukee it seams) - order additional online. Fuel Filter (ditto). Make sure the engine you buy has the maximum accessories with it.

lordtrunks

camp loser
plh you might try oreilly's auto next time for your fuel filter the one has them as a regular stock item.

toasty is correct don't plan on it being cheap to swap in a diesel 4-5k is about the price range to expect depending on what you pay for your engine and tranny.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
lots in Canada I would buy a JDM import drive to Vancouver and swap it over and drive back....buy the whole truck with all the parts

MontyMcV

Observer
What about getting a full JDM rig and converting to LHD? No searching for bits and pieces on the diesel side, and plenty of LHDs here and in the yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1