Tire Review Hercules Terra Trac AT (New style)

3 DOGS

Observer
Just got back from a hunting trip to Colorado. I got my new Hercules Terra Trac ATs in Sept. and finally got to play a little with them while in CO>
These tires are another version of the Bridgestone Revos. Tire pattern is very similar. The biggest difference is the price $20 to $70 cheaper per tire.
The Hercules brand is made by Cooper Tire and has a fairly good rep as far as I know.
Anyways here's the review:
Dry pavement - 9.5 - Minimal if any road noise. Very sure grip.
Wet pavement - 10 - Down pouring rain going into the mountains - no H/P at all. Winding roads were absolutely no problem. I was VERY amazed and thankful at the traction.
Cornering - 9 - 9.5 - I don't "push" corning in a 4X4. No problems.
Snow - 10 - 2wd is all I needed to get up the roads. I only used 4wd after it warmed up a little and I started to "dig". I didn't want to damage the roads. I still had forward movement - UPHILL!!!
Mud - 9.5 - The tires did get packed but the slightest wheel spin cleared the tread. Again until I started to "dig" too much I was in 2wd. In 4wd I had absolutely no problems.
Rocks - N/A
Ride Comfort - 9 - 9.5 - What a HUGE improvement over previous BFGs.
Gas milege - I did lose about 2 mpg after putting these on. They weigh around 40 lbs/tire - I think.
I know everyone may have different views on how to rate tires. I am not a professional tire rater - just a guy who's been driving various vehicles for 22 years.
I ended up with the P Metric series because I don't venture off road enough to justify the LT's. The increased cost, weight and gas mileage loss wasn't worth it to me - right now.
The tires locally were $119.95 for P265/75/16 - Walker Tire in Omaha. When you buy 4 tires from Walker tire you also get free oil changes for the life of the tire and free road hazzard coverage. All in all right around $600 - this included an alignment.
If you are looking at the REVOs or Yokohama Geolanders look at the Terra Trac AT. I think (with only 2500 miles) these are very good tires.
They also have a line of LT sizes. The guy at the shop uses the LTs on his snow plow truck - 3/4 ton Chevy. He said he's never had any problems and traction on snow and ice is excellant.
Hope this helps

paulj

Expedition Leader
Hercules describes itself as
a leading integrated tire marketer and distributor of replacement tires
Proprietary brands are manufactured exclusively for Hercules by world class suppliers from around the world.
Hercules owns all of our own private brand tire molds, ensuring that our private brand lines are unique to our dealers and customers.
So the tread design is unique, even though the actual molding is done at someone else's plant.

paulj

3 DOGS

Observer
"Any pics? I'd like to see them?"

No pics - sorry. I have yet to arrive in the 21st century and have great technical difficulties.
I will try to get some posted.
Again they look like the Revos - very very very close in the pattern.
I have about 3000 miles on them now and still love them.
ONLY one problem. The tread is pretty soft - maybe that explains the great traction - I ran over something and it sliced right through the tread lug. I have no idea what is was. I didn't see anything in the road. In fact I was following a buddy at 70 mph down the interstate. I heard what sounded like a big mud clod in my rear wheel well roll around, seen what I thought was dust come out the back and it was done. About 2-3 miles down the road and I get into traffic. Suddenly the truck feels funny and low and behold I have a flat. The tire stayed together and no major problems - just a slice through the tread. I got it patched and it's fine. I still have no idea what I ran over. Just glad the tires didn't shred at 70mph.
I am still very impressed and would tell anyone to buy them.

3 DOGS
03 Taco DC TRD, F/G Topper, Bedrug, 265/75/16 Hercules Terra Trac AT

TheMidwesterner

Sorry to reopen such an old thread, but I was wondering how these tires worked out for you in the long run. I was also wondering if you took up Walker on the free oil changes and how you liked their service. My wife's vehicle is due for new tires and her primary concern is good hydroplaning resistance, followed closely by decent snow and ice traction.

These tires look interesting, but this is the only review out there that I could readily find.

http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/herculesTT_AT.asp

Thanks.

3 DOGS

Observer
I had the truck 03 Tacoma Double Cab TRD with the tires for about 1 1/2 years.
The tires failed me once - in Colorado - I happend to find some unknown sharp object which cut through the main tread and flattend the tire - slowly. Thankfully it didn't just blow out - I was going about 75 when it happened.
The tires seem to be a bit softer than other tires. Still the wear was not out of the norm.
In that 1 1/2 years the tires still looked brand new. I put on about 20,000 miles or so during that time - Nebraska to Colorado and Wyoming.
My ratings given before still hold true. I was very impressed by their performance. So impressed I plan on putting them on my H3 now (traded the Toyota for the H3 about a year ago).
As far as Walker Tire - GREAT service. The oil change and tire rotation was done about every 3-5K miles. I handed them my purchase sheet and they took care of the rest.
The cut tire was repaired without issue. I was told if it was too bad and couldn't be fixed then there is always the warranty to fall back on. Didn't need it though - tire was fine.
To shorten this up I very highly recommend the Hercules Terra Trac AT and Walker Tire in Omaha (140th & Gold Cir).
Here's the link info for the tires. Make sure you look at the Terra Trac AT not the All Trac AT - similar but not the same.
Hope this helps.

http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/pdfCatalogPages/page16-17_TT_AT.pdf

08 H3
Stock - for now

3 DOGS

Observer
I forgot to really touch on the snow and rain performance.
For rain - one word AWESOME. No hydroplaning at all. Even when I should have been driving more carefully the tires did their job and kept me outta trouble. Rooster tails and clears water for sure footedness with no problems.
Snow and ICE - again AWESOME. Grip grip grip.
As you know in the midwest we can have 12" of snow to 1/2" of ice and then black ice and everything in between. Still no problems what so ever. The siping and the pattern made all driving conditions seem easy. I generally only had to use 2wd. 4wd was only if I was out playing or throwing snow. Never even close to stuck or lost traction.
These tires are very similar to the Revos and it seems everyone loves the Revos. At least here you're not paying the high price for essentially the same tire.
You won't be disappointed with them IMO.

08 H3
Stock - for now

sisu

Adventurer
I just bought a used 3/4 Cummins that came with brand new Hercules tires 265R70/17 with the E load range rating. I drove nearly 700+ miles to get back home and felt as if the ride was good and they did well considering I was in rain, slush, ice and finally in 1 foot of unplowed heavy wet snow for about a mile to get in the garage. No complaints from me.

I'm glad to hear they are a subsidiary of Cooper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal