US carmakers in panic mode?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I guess the competition from overseas is slowly making the European and US car makers nervous. Instead of learning new tricks they rather sending their lobbyists out to implement new import tariffs . These are paid by the endusers/consumers not by the Chinese.
Btw, solar panels, batteries etc are also taxed massively in the near future.

Found this video yesterday that explains what's really going on.

lucilius

I guess the competition from overseas is slowly making the European and US car makers nervous. Instead of learning new tricks they rather sending their lobbyists out to implement new import tariffs . These are paid by the endusers/consumers not by the Chinese.
Btw, solar panels, batteries etc are also taxed massively in the near future.

Found this video yesterday that explains what's really going on.
1. I always have to wonder about Canadian appreciation for American youtubers who offer theories, critiques and recommendations to Canadians that demonstrate how Canada might fix one thing or another to best serve Canada, particularly when those theories/critiques/recommendations support business interests (e.g. British Columbia-based Edison Motors vs Tesla)
2. The US tariffs seem mostly to be a same-stuff-different-day-politics combination of nationalistic (albeit flaccid) saber-rattling, throwing bones to auto unions, etc.
3. Emergency bailouts (natural disasters, war, etc.) notwithstanding, I completely agree that no US taxpayer money should be siphoned to any US auto company unless we are buying vehicles for government/military use, especially when those privately held companies are contemplating paying their CEO a bonus that exceeds the GDP of ~80 (of 177 total) countries. I have zero problems with the bonus, the private company's Board/leadership can determine what makes sense, but do have a problem with the constant waste and misplacement of US taxpayer money.
4. IMHO, most Americans who can read & think are concerned about both IP theft and corrupt business practices engaged in by any & all foreign governments, not many are actually nervous about Chinese innovation.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
2. The US tariffs seem mostly to be a same-stuff-different-day-politics combination of nationalistic (albeit flaccid) saber-rattling, throwing bones to auto unions, etc.

Funny how the 'Big Guy' criticized '45' for implementing tariffs against Chinese products, saying even a freshman econ student understood that the consumer pays them, not the Chinese, and now he is promoting them.

Guess its a good thing for politicians that people's memory is so short..

4. IMHO, most Americans who can read & think are concerned about both IP theft and corrupt business practices engaged in by any & all foreign governments, not many are actually nervous about Chinese innovation.

Is Chinese Innovation actually a thing? Seems like they have always 'stolen' innovations from the Western world, either through direct IP theft or by reverse engineering products designed by western companies that were responsible for the 'innovation' that lead to the product's existence in the first place.

The Chinese just build and sell products cheaper since they largely subsidized, and use substandard (in most cases) components and cheaper labor. Greedy westerners fuel the existence, and now growing dominance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad