Utility RTT: Start from scratch or store-bought-and-build?

VirginiaDoug

Finally replaced my welder and am looking to start in on a utility trailer with a nest for a RTT. Lowe’s has a 5x8 for $750 that comes with a title, expanded steel flooring and a drop gate. Titling a diy trailer is an expensive PITA so it might be worth it to start with this thing, add timbrens, reinforce the tongue and weld in a nest. I haven’t checked steel prices for a while but I’d be surprised if I could put together a dozen pieces of decent 2x2/2x3, expanded steel grating, lights, etc for much less than $500 (which would be worth skipping the store trailer as a base).

What say you? Thanks!

Last edited:

VirginiaDoug

Looks like the frame is all angle iron, which won’t do. I’m going to check one out this afternoon.

Trailer will at most be carrying two dirt bikes, gear and the roof top tent, so probably just over 1000#, at most. Angle might "work" but I'd be afraid of the thing rattling apart over rougher terrain.

Last edited:

VirginiaDoug

old_CWO

It's a fine idea and gets you going immediately. If you can weld, you can beef up the chassis a little bit with some strategically placed metal and it will be fine. For more ground clearance you can relocate fenders for taller tires or go up even higher with a spring-over. Obviously utility trailers are going to have short, stiff trailer springs which can suck. I have found that removing a leaf or two helps a bit while deciding if an upgrade is necessary.

For building some trailer bits, don't discount getting random bed frame parts from the thrift store. I use that junk all the time for little projects like trays or brackets. Would be good for frame corner triangulation as well. It's often spring steel which cuts and welds okay but can be a pain to drill. Given the cost of steel, I'm not too proud to chop up free bed frames for things that aren't strength critical.

VirginiaDoug

Yeah, for sure. Probably pull a leaf and spring-over the trailer in the sort term if I go the store-bought route. I’m sure if I watch my expenses, I can resell it for what I have in it. Reuse the wheels and RTT for a more aggressive build when steel prices come down.

BeNimble

If you are willing to do that much work, I don't see the value in paying for a brand new complete trailer. Free boat trailers are common, particularly if you get rid of the boat it comes with. :)

old_CWO

If you are willing to do that much work, I don't see the value in paying for a brand new complete trailer. Free boat trailers are common, particularly if you get rid of the boat it comes with. :)

Well, nearly all "free" boat trailers I have seen need wiring, lights, bearings, seals, tires, rust repair, reconfiguring, etc. I guess it really depends on how much sweat equity you want to spend, the actual condition of the trailer and how close it is to what you're aiming for. But yes for sure there are some bargains to be had with old boat trailers or ragged out pop up campers if you look.

I am positive that I could juice up a brand new regular old Carry-On utility trailer for light off highway use on a Saturday afternoon for next to nothing. Give it a spring over, remove a leaf and just keep the stock 15" tires. Shorten the ramp gate to match the side height and reuse the metal for some strategic chassis and tongue gussets; add a little more as needed. Instagram worthy? YouTube vid in action with a 100K views? Hardly, but gets you to a 80% functional solution in a weekend and you can always sell it later or just keep it as a general hauler. The big plus for some is absolutely no title and registration issues which in some states can be a deal breaker.

Like most of us, I dig the cool bro off road trailers and have one currently but can also surely see the utility in using a utility trailer!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Just buy a spare for a trailer and drive around until you find a free boat with trailer along the road? ;)

I would scratch build, but for me, 1/2 the fun is in the build.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
As a follow up, I spent a chunk of the Covid summer modifying an AT Chaser to fit my needs more nicely, and probably could have scratch built in the same number of hours.

jays0n

Adventurer
Hope you got a good deal on that Chaser if you still had to do a lot of work to it, those things aren't cheap!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hope you got a good deal on that Chaser if you still had to do a lot of work to it, those things aren't cheap!

It was over 12 years old when I got it, pretty much depreciated to bottom dollar. At 12 years it was completely functional and I’m sure it went on a lot of great trips, and now it should be happy for 12 more years. By then, I will have custom built my own and this one will live happily with a new member. It is a nice trailer though. I learned a huge amount about design and my own preferences as I was tearing it down for rebuild. I just took it on a shakedown tow a few weeks ago, and now I’m eager to get out and camp.

There's a company near me that builds utility trailers. I priced out a 5x8 w/ 24" sides and it's about $1800. 15" wheels, so I could do an axle flip and throw some different tires on and I'm halfway there.

I could have the company build a "lid" for the trailer, that wouldn't be more than $500.

From there I just need to add a rack for the RTT to be higher (adjustable or fixed). Later on I can add a water tank, pump, battery & solar system. I'm estimating $5k (total) for all the things I would actually need and use, versus the $16k+ fancy-pants ones.

Then fire up Adobe Illustrator, make some mountain-type graphics, have the local vinyl shop print them out, and slap on some 'dee-cals' on the trailer to make it uber-overlander-ish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp