what style of tent is best for ....?

gabe

Observer
Ok I’ve searched and have read quite a bit and everyone seems to have their favorite tent, but I’m looking for the correct style of tent. This will be for the family 2 adults a 5yr old and a dog, won’t be backpacked in. I need it to be big enough to put up cots and a table would love an awning. Sounds like a cabin style tent right I love the pine lodge tent the spring bar style all seem like they would fit the bill, but the more I look the more I worry about them just turning into a big sail in a wind storm. Then I see the dome style tent, is it really that much better in the wind or am I just making a mountain out of a moll hill?

Last edited:

Ireland

Adventurer
You need a Springbar tent...
I got one early last year and could not be happier with it, very very waterproof and can take huge wind gusts without trouble.
Has a canopy as well, basically everything you were looking for in your post and then some...

rusty_tlc

Explorer
In my experience cabin tents tend to stand up to the wind better because they use a rigid external frame. They also tend to be more work to set up and take down, thats okay if you base camp but a PITA if you break camp every day.

Cabin tents have more head room than dome tents because of the vertical walls. They also use more fabric and tend to be heavier and more bulky to transport.

If you can barrow before you buy that would be a good idea.

Whatever you do set the tent up at home before you head out on your first trip. It sucks to try to learn to set up a tent when you have dinner to prepare etc. A trial run at home also lets you know if any parts are missing.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
gabe said:
Ok I’ve searched and have read quite a bit and everyone seems to have their favorite tent, but I’m looking for the correct style of tent. This will be for the family 2 adults a 5yr old and a dog, won’t be backpacked in. I need it to be big enough to put up cots and a table would love an awning. Sounds like a cabin style tent right I love the pine lodge tent the spring bar style all seem like they would fit the bill, but the more I look the more I worry about them just turning into a big sail in a wind storm. Then I see the dome style tent, is it really that much better in the wind or am I just making a mountain out of a moll hill?

Why not an Oztent? you sound like a great candidate for an rv4 or rv5 model. We have an rv 4 and have plenty of room for 2 cots and a dog crate.. The rv 5 should handle 3 cots and and the dog no problem. Plus you can not beat the front awning combined with the optional sides of an Oztent. We set up a full length table for cooking and place our coolers and dry food box under the table. Then we place our 2 chairs and small table in there as well. No weather or mosquito worries

gabe

Observer
Nullifier said:
Why not an Oztent? you sound like a great candidate for an rv4 or rv5 model. We have an rv 4 and have plenty of room for 2 cots and a dog crate.. The rv 5 should handle 3 cots and and the dog no problem. Plus you can not beat the front awning combined with the optional sides of an Oztent. We set up a full length table for cooking and place our coolers and dry food box under the table. Then we place our 2 chairs and small table in there as well. No weather or mosquito worries
I'vs seen those and they're pretty slick but they're awfully expensive I don't mind spending a little for a good tent but they just seem a little to much. I've seen the turbo tent and they're interesting. Again I've looked at a lot of tents and there are a lot of nice looking ones not sure if I believe all the propaganda that goes with them. I'm trying to narrow my search by at least chosing a style.
I'm leaning towards the cabin style right now since most of our camping is usually in one spot for a couple nights then home.
Thanks for the tip rusty I'll probably not only set up the tent but spend as much time practice packing.

Bergger

Explorer
Nullifier said:
Why not an Oztent?

That is what I was thinking. No experience with them but from what I've read and seen online it seems like the perfect solution, not considering a RTT of course, for camping out of your truck.

TheGillz

Explorer
gabe said:
they seem small to be honest

They come in 5 sizes.

Mine is the RV-2, it is 6 feet by 6feet base. The RV-5 is 8 feet 6 inchs square. Plenty for 2 or 3 cots and a dog.

mrbishi

Adventurer
I went through a similar dilemma with tents not too long ago. I couldn't justify the price of a OzTent or Blackwolf Turbo tent. This is the tent that the g/f and I use on longer trips (if it's just me I roll out my swag and we are actually looking at getting a double swag for quick trips).

tent.jpg

We usually put a queen sized self inflating matress in it and it has heaps of extra room. You could easily fit another cot and a table and chairs inside and your gear if the weather turned nasty. I think something like this would be ideal for what you describe.

It's really easy to put up. You basically lay it out, peg the 4 corners down then erect a center pole and your done. I have the center pole elimination kit for mine that is like an a frame that replaces the center pole which allows full use of the floor space without the pole being in the way. Takes less than 5 min to put up and I'm done and enjoying a cold beer while others struggle with there dome tents.

More information here:

http://www.oztrail.com.au/tents/canvas_tourer_9plus.php

canvas_tourer_9plus.jpg

What I like about it:

* quick to erect
* lots of space
* made of canvas so its heavy duty and completely water proof and breathes
* easy to pack up - goes into my roof rack canvas bag with my camp chairs and other bits and pieces

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Check with......Gear!

He has really studied this! I have no idea what the name of his tent is.....but it's a Masterpiece!

2008_030908ExPoSpFlowerFling0128-1.jpg

2008_030908ExPoSpFlowerFling0123.jpg

......and will even hold up to Anza~Borrego Winds!.....:tent: :victory:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Speaking of Heaters.......

I know this is overkill for a small tent. But sometimes you find a cabin to stay in. Keep it well ventilated!

Check this out for just $47 bucks!

Product Features

30,000-80,000 Btu portable propane convection heater
For construction sites, workshops, barns, etc.; heats up to 1,900 square feet
360-degree directional heat;
Minimum 20-pound propane cylinder not included; 10-foot hose and regulator included
Adequate combustion and ventilation air must be provided; limited 1-year warranty

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Convection-MH80CV/dp/B0000C6E2Z/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1218080432&sr=8-4

41GQTDBTDGL._SS400_.jpg

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
We have used our "Traveler 5" Springbar tent several times. Not a single problem with the wind. The set up is very fast once you get the 12 stakes in the ground. When I purchased the tent I got a couple of different stakes to test out. So far I am really liking the Snow Peak stakes. Gabe where are you located. If you are close to San Diego you can come by and take a look. Oh we sleep four inside, wife, myself and two boys 5 and 3.

P1030737.jpg

P1030727.jpg

We just got back from camping on the coast. The awning came in handy with shading the front windows during the day.

gabe

Observer
Gear said:
We have used our "Traveler 5" Springbar tent several times. Not a single problem with the wind. The set up is very fast once you get the 12 stakes in the ground. When I purchased the tent I got a couple of different stakes to test out. So far I am really liking the Snow Peak stakes. Gabe where are you located. If you are close to San Diego you can come by and take a look. Oh we sleep four inside, wife, myself and two boys 5 and 3.
We just got back from camping on the coast. The awning came in handy with shading the front windows during the day.

I'm in upstate NY but thx for the offer. The springbar (is cabela's Kodiak the same) is moving up on my list along with the turbotent. Stakes are an issue here, the ground is either to soft or one great big rock. I'm actually planing on bring along a cordless impact wrench to drive a screw in style stake.

EricGagne

Adventurer
I recently bought a Sprinbar Campsite 3. That is my first tent ever and had 2 criterias. Had to be easy to setup because I'm alone and had to be tall enough to stand up inside.

I'm very happy with my purchase, I have no regrets and would recommend it to anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1