What to look for on the 1st generation Xterras? (2002-04, OR, SE, XE)

rockandroll

Adventurer
Gents,

After looking at early 2000s 4Runners, Cherokees, Monteros, Explorers, etc., Xterra is my #1. They seem to be currently undervalued when compared to the competition. My question is what should I look out for? I'm new to Nissan and I've done a few hours of searching and can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking at a 2002, 2003, 2004 XTerra for around $9k. It will be the primary vehicle for my wife and myself, used for trips to Denver (3 hours west) and into the Rockies.

- SE vs XE - Is there any practical reason to seek out the SE other than coloring?

- We would prefer the 5spd, but is the 4spd auto trans solid?

- What do you get with the factory tow package?

- Lockers, Off Road package? What should I look for?

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Make sure the timing belt is done around 90 to 100k. Other than that look to see if any of the recalls were fixed, ie fuel sending unit, steering are the major ones. Good soild trucks I'm pushing 200k with mine and I'm about to get the 2nd timing belt done this summer.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Gen 1 Xterra 2000-2001 Square lights
3.3 v6 basic XE / SE 160-170hp
No lockers.. Aftermarket are available (ARB)
Timing belt needs to be changed out every 105k
great basic 4x4 AT/MT AT pulling 5k MT 3500lbs
Price range 3k - 6k

Gen 1.5 2002-2004 Round lights
3.3 v6 basic XE / SE Interior redone
Supercharger is available (High grade gas only) (Knock sensor issues) 220hp
No lockers.. Aftermarket are available (ARB)
Timing belt needs to be changed out every 105k
great basic 4x4 AT/MT AT-5000lbs pulling MT 3500lbs pulling
Price range 4k - 10k

These SUVs are very under valued.. Ive owned 2 of them.. both have been very solid trucks.. Based on the Nissan Frontier 1998-2004

Look up www.xterranation.org to see what people have done to them.. From rock crawlers to overland SUVs

Slicky72

Adventurer
I've had 2002 X for a few years now . It has been a great truck and stone reliable. There is no major difference between se/xe as far as I know. You may have more luck finding a 5 speed super charged but there are NA 5 speed units around too. The slush box is fine though if that's what you end up with. Take your time and find the one you want , it will treat you well and get you there and back every time. Good luck!

nasko

Adventurer
if you end up getting a Supercharged one is good to check the knock sensor, both NA and the SC are prone to get their exhaust manifold crack. Apart form that and the steering mentioned above they are sold trucks IMO. Good luck

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Id never buy a SC.. Too many KS issues and you can only run high grade gas...

And the SE had a sun roof and slightly different cloth.. thats about it

baldybarton

I have an 02' 5 speed 4x4 and I love it. Like others have said make sure the timing belt has been taken care of and also look for leaks around the oil pan and around the intake manifold.
My truck has been solid for the 6 years I have owned it. I have changed the timing belt and replaced the intake manifold gaskets, and this summer I will be replacing the oil pan gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1