What type of Van is suitable to us?

happyhomemaker

We are doing business and we can't help but to use our personal car to meet the needs of our customers. Because of that, we thought of getting an additional vehicle since we are about to settle our first auto loan and it will be paid finally next month. Anyway, we want to get a van. However, what type of van will you recommend and is suitable for family?

Stitebunny

Adventurer
You really need to provide a lot more information if you expect some useable help.
Details on what you want. What you are doing. What you hope the van can provide for you.
There are people here with tons of knowledge that can help.
But they need to know what they are working with.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
7 wheels are even better. :D

I'd vote Ambo, it has been a phenomenal marketing tool for our business, and the kids absolutely love it. After a 3 hour road trip, they've been known not to come inside for 30 minutes or more. 19" TV & DVD Player lots of power... it's a rolling clubhouse.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Absolutely don't take on a car loan before a mortgage, get the house in order first!

If you come back, we'd need specifics;

What is the intended use?

What cargo demands, if it's just family the almost anything would do.

Are you towing anything?

Is MPG important, you can have small and MPG or big and drop the MPG.

You may not need new, but in business you'll probably want shinny and not banged up.

Price range? If it is for business you can depreciate the vehicle for taxes, you might buy more for a tax advantage.

Consider a statement of requirements first, what's the use, where, street or off road, towing or not, range on a tank full, seating required.....then come back and ask :)

happyhomemaker

Thanks for the replies. Actually we are 5 in the family and considering that the kids still needs to travel with a car seat, we need much bigger space. We often do long drives, one time, we did a drive from Florida to Manitoba.

Mechanically inclined? My husband is, he is actually eyeing an SUV which I think is impractical considering how compacted it is, right?

Anyway, We are considering to get the auto loan from either the bank or credit union but personally, I think credit union auto loan is more flexible in all aspect. I just have one quick question though, we have spoken with credit union and they suggest to get a vehicle from a specified dealer instead of our choice. Is this really how it should be?

JPutnam

Observer
I would be looking for a nice Ford econoline. they have plenty of space and plenty of seating. the 5.4l engines get decent gas mileage and are relatively cheap to work on. there is quite a bit of aftermarket support for them if you want to dig deeper in an offroad aspect. but in stock form they do great on the average camping trip.

As far a bank vs credit union, well I have always used a credit union. All the loans banks have offered me were at a larger interest rate. I would search your local classifieds(craigslist, autotrade, even google) for a van. I don't know anything about a specified dealer. For the most part I don't care for dealers at all. I mostly have bought through private sellers. Dealers do SOMETIMES give you a warrantee. but the very few vehicles I have purchased through a dealer have seemed to be more expensive(than through a private party) or just cleaned up to look like a million but are junky.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online