which newer full size 1/2 ton is the best overland platform

dado5

I am looking to downsize from my current ram 2500 with cummins to a gas powered crew cab 1/2 ton. will be daily driven with some overland modifications:
mild lift maybe 33" tires
decked drawer system with rack over it
bumpers and possible lockers

I am not brand loyal. Is any platform easier to start with? am leaning towards f150 with 5.0.

rruff

Explorer
No idea! I bought a Tundra because of better reliability numbers, beefier drivetrain components than most 1/2 tons, strong engine, and a low price. With a little easy trimming and 2" lift you can fit 35s. Plenty of aftermarket parts are available (the Tundra has hardly changed since 2007), but surely less than for Ford.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Since you're coming from a diesel, I'd say get something with a turbo, whether gas or diesel. (eco-boost Ford or Ram eco-diesel)
My biggest disappointment getting out of my truck and into our gas vehicles is the amount of shifting and booting it I have to do in the hills, and how much it seems like the engine is working, whereas my truck just rips along... A truck with a turbo will drive more like your Cummins. :)

kmlacroix

Explorer
The ecoDiesel is not available at the moment from a dealer. The ecoBoost creates a lot of power. the new engine now uses port injection primarily do to intake valve coking.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The 5.0 is too much engine for the f150, the Eco is just plain silly. I wish they had the slower 2v 4.6L engines available still. Durable, cheap, simple.

I like the new Ford cabs and the Al bodies. Get the factory locker and as much gear as possible. If you add a leveling kit, DO NOT USE PUCKS, go with the Bilstein adjustable perch 5100 shocks. The firestone or airlift 2000 pound airbags help a ton.

I'd love to recommend something other than the F150, but I'd pick the F150 still.

Oh, and Raptor.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I can't say I have any complaints about our F-150 with the 5.0.... And the super crew has tons of interior room with a flat floor which is pretty nice. Drive a few 1/2 ton trucks with different powertrains and see which one you like best.

I was a Toyota fanboy for about a decade until I had to go full size to carry a larger camper and our newborn. Went to a FX4 F-150 with the larger Ecoboost motor. Gets 20 mpg unloaded and 16 carrying our four wheel camper and all the goodies. It's a fantastic setup for what I needed. I installed the bilstein 5100s (as recommended above) as well as firestone airbags in the rear. Easily fits 35" K02s (used 2017 Raptor takeoffs) with no other modification. My wife calls it the trail limo. (yes, I'm very stuck in the last photo...)

LVCgIYh.jpg

hxPJJtI.jpg

uwsOJwv.jpg

CL9AlOA.jpg

dado5

Onewheeldrive what gears do you have? 3.73. is it sluggish with 35's? I think your truck looks perfect. That is stock suspension height?

The Bilsteins in the front are set at max height, I think 2" of lift. I have the 3.55 with electronic locking rear diff and even with the camper loaded and the 35s I wouldn't call it sluggish. Thanks!

sunnypruit

I'm pretty happy with my Titan XD Diesel. They are considering it a 5/8 ton truck or heavy half. For me it fit my needs perfect. I bought it to tow my off road rig (2010 Nissan Frontier) and daily drive, with plans to do a mild expo build. I get 20-24 highway and 16-19 mixed driving. I got the pro-4x which comes with a rear locker, bilstein shocks and one or two decent skid plates.I just added a 2" lift and some 33" Duratracs that I had laying around, but plan to go to a 35-37" tire.IMG_1072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kpredator

Adventurer
best half ton

269000 miles on our f-150,rear pinion seal only problem.other than normal maintenance .
when this one dies.will replace with a one ton as we carry a popup.
good luck
kp

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I say right now its the F-150 with the 5.0 and the e-locker. I really like chevy motors but there newer trucks are boring and you cant get a locker in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1