03 Disco CDL project cost savings

AzRover

Observer
I thought that I would share my low cost 03 Disco CDL project with everyone. I picked up a 2001 transfer case with 67000 miles for $150. It came with a hi-low cable. I also picked up a 04 shifter for $150, but no cables. The diff lock cable costs about $200 to $300 depending on source. So I will use the extra hi-low cable to cable for the diff lock. The hi-low cable end at the transfer case is a bit longer than the diff lock cable. So, I made a new bracket to mount the cable that is 1 inch longer than the factory bracket. It's made from 1/8 inch thick steel. I also made the lever that connects the cable to the cdl shift nipple. It works, and saved a couple hundred dollars. I will be installing it in a couple of weeks.
In the picture the factory bracket has been included.
Steve

CDL1a.jpg

shultzie

Observer
Looks good...I'm about to put in a 2002 transfer case with CDL added to it in my 03 as well. I haven't found a shifter yet but would like to get the 04 also. I'm interested in how the install goes. Keep us updated. Thanks

AzRover

Observer
Looks good...I'm about to put in a 2002 transfer case with CDL added to it in my 03 as well. I haven't found a shifter yet but would like to get the 04 also. I'm interested in how the install goes. Keep us updated. Thanks
There don't seem to be a lot of 04 shifters out there. I looked on line for a couple of weeks, and only found 2. I bought one from Michigan. Fortunately any corrosion was cosmetic. Most junk yards seem to cut the cables or leave them on the transfer case.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Ashcroft makes a D-II T-case shifter kit for the '99- '01, be careful on the '02s as most do not have the CDL nipple similar to the '03.

shultzie

Observer
Mowerman
Thanks I will look into the D1 shifter as well....looks simple enough in the link you provided.

Rovertrader
I didn't know there was a difference in the 02 and 03 CDL nipple thanks a lot. I'll look into it.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Mowerman
Thanks I will look into the D1 shifter as well....looks simple enough in the link you provided.

Rovertrader
I didn't know there was a difference in the 02 and 03 CDL nipple thanks a lot. I'll look into it.

Neither the 02 or the 03 has the nipple. Putting on a new front output isnt terrible and i can walk you through it. jycsalas (Josh) put together a nice writeup on the land rover VI page.

Also can use urbanpanzer's link for putting d1 shifter into a d2 to use the cdl. Also available on discoweb homepage.

Front output ~ $250ish. Thats what i paid for an entire transfer case from an 04
D1 linkage is ~ $100-150 from paul grant, john gadd and others

-Sam

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Another option a buddy did on his '01 was add another shifter to the console, and it rotates 90 degrees engaging the lock- good look actually, think twin stick Atlas

shultzie

Observer
The transfer case I bought is a 2002 with the CDL added to it. I bought for $100! He was installing it into a friends and it looked different than the one he took out so ordered a new one and had this one sitting in his garage.
Axeangel
Thanks for the advice and pricing. I might be asking for some help.

Rovertrader
I would like to see how that works.

Sorry AzRover didn't mean to high jack your thread.

AzRover

Observer
I found a lot of D1 shifters, for less than $100 using car-part.com . That is where I found my transfer case and 04 shifter. I found several on Ebay, but the prices were higher. I liked the 04 shifter so I paid a little more. I need to finish resealing the transfer case, then I will be ready to install. I just had the transfer case out a few months ago to replace the input seal, so it should go a little quicker this time.
Steve

Last edited:

wjb4000

Adventurer
So what is needed to add CDL to an 02 case? I'm looking at an 02, lifted, ARB front winch bumper and a couple other little goodies for about $4000. Does not have CDL. It's a buddy of mine that's selling it. Is it cost effective to add whatever it needs or find a whole other case? I've only been able to find transfer cases around here for no less than $350-400. And, this may be a stupid question, but explain to me exactly how the CDL works and why it's so much better to have off road? Would adding a locker in front and rear not do the same thing? I'm just curious as I'm not familiar enough with what it does exactly. Thanks guys...

AzRover

Observer
You need a LT230 transfer case with CDL, and a shifter. You can use a D1 shifter or a 04 shifter. The CDL will lock four front and rear axels together, so you will always deliver power to at least one wheel on each axel. The problem with relying on traction control is that it depends on wheel spin to activate it. That is not desirable when rock crawling. It may also be a problem on steel hill climbs. I would conceder the cdl to be the first step in improving traction. I have an old Plymouth Trailduster. It is has a full time np203 transfer case. I installed limited slip differentials in both axels. One rainy day on the trail, I was climbing a steep hill. I got to a section of slick rock. My front wheels spun, and I went no where, almost went rolling down the hill. I did not realize that the twisting of the frame on the rocks unlocked my center diff. I had a lot of trouble trying to get over it. When I realized the diff was not locked, and I locked it, it went right over it. Traction control may have helped if it had it.

With TC you first loose traction, with a locked center diff, you maintain traction.

I found my 2001 transfer case using car-part.com, at a local wrecking yard for $150. I have seen them on Ebay for about the same price. There is a lot of information on line about it. I will be installing my transfer case this weekend.

To ad it to your existing case, you need to change the front output housing . See http://www.landroverclubvi.com/2003cdlinstall.html. I belive Ashcroft transmission and Toddco sell kits. They cost more than a junkyard transfer case.

Steve

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1