04 3rd gen Dodge Ram rock crawler expedition build

gun45boat

Adventurer
OH, I installed the Carli HD rebuildable Ball joints a few months ago, so that issue has been resolved .. Damn things are expensive, and a pain in the *** to install, but worth it, they look tough as hell!!!! :ylsmoke:

gun45boat

Adventurer
WOW.. I like those.. They are HUGE!!!!!!!!! I dont think I got the gearing to turn 45" tires, I can turn some 42" light weight MTR's but I bet those things are heavy..

ashstudly

So, I really want to see your rig. I live in SLC. You know the details of when you will be in Moab? I would love to buy you beer. In fact, I'll buy you 10 if you let me take some pics and tell me about the build!

gun45boat

Adventurer
MMMMMMMMMM BEEEEERRRRZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes. hell yes.. I am leaving April 12th from Orlando Fl. and am going to take my sweet *** time to get to Moab. Probably arrive in the town of Moab Tuesday April 16th and promptly stock up with grub fuel and beer etc.etc. at the local Grocery store. Then probably head directly to the Central Moab trails in Area 2 my map of trails are going to put me in this order to run each trail.

1) Moab Rim
2) Upper Helderado
3) Coyote Canyon
4)Hells Revenge
5)Metal Masher
6)Pritchet Canyon
7)Poison Spider Mesa
8)Cliff Hanger
9) Golden Spike
10) Kane Creek Canyon

Then headed to the East side of Arches NP to Top of the World then, ROse Garden hill.

I will be on the trails at any given time from April 16th to April 30th with very random treks back to town for fuel/grub/grog.

April 30th I will be making the Trek to The RUbicon Trail (should take me 3 to 4 days to get there) as I will be spending time in Death Valley , and will hit up that trail TRT for 1 week. Then to FOrdyce creek (hopefully the water levels will be down) etc.etc.

Let me know what your schedule is, no need to buy me beers for a look at the rig and details etc. are you going to be on the trails during these times??

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a good trip! I've been to Moab 4 times now and love it everytime. Unsolicited piece of advice... Buy beer outside of Utah to get the "proper" alcohol %. :friday:

Have fun! Take lots of pics...

Brad

Last edited:

gun45boat

Adventurer
Thanks. It will be my second trip out there.. I am going to wear out these tires on the trip, being that by the time I get back to Orlando I will have added a good 8k to the tires and some brutal rock crawling to the mix, the current MTR's will be tired by the time I get back. SO I am going to order the 42" MTR's AND the beadlocks when I get back. Also, when I get back, the rear will be chopped, and the full tube truggy rear design will be incorporated while the 42's are on order.:ylsmoke::ylsmoke:

gun45boat

Adventurer
with the double triangulated rear links, and I am still deciding to either go with Fox air/ King coilovers, or the ORI/ORE struts

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Air shocks are fine for slow speed stuff but the pressure increases when it gets hot and decreases when it cools. Not the best thing on a street driven truck. Fox makes great coilovers with internal bypass.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
ive spent a lot of time working with the ORI stuff and its a real love/hate relationship

in all honestly i think you'd be much happier in the long run, and the short run - using a traditional coil over setup. if i were you id be looking into King 3.0's with internal bypasses and appropriate weight coils.

i think kings are easier to rebuild than fox's, and have way better customer service

gun45boat

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have heard mixed reviews about the ORI stuff as well. The King Coilovers with the IB sounds killer!!! And the fact that you can really work with the springs to tune in the ride as well. I am going to keep this thing street legal when I truggy the rear, so I do need a set up in the rear that will be safe cruising down the highway at 90+mph, then be able to take a beating off road on the rocks. AS soon as I get back from this 5 week trip, you can bet your *** it will be at the shop with its *** end cut off prepped for links and coild overs :ylsmoke::ylsmoke::ylsmoke::ylsmoke: I just had to build it this way for the trip, to be able to handle the weight of all the gear.

Hell. After the trip I might sell this Dodge, and take the funds and do another Hemi single cab and just truggy the rear of that one. It would almost be a shame to cut off all the cool **** on the back of this rig!!!! when it truly is set up really well for expedition type wheeling. and be able to pull off some wicked hard trails as it is...

If it goes for sale, I will post it up here:)

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
You'd be surprised how well coils can carry weight. An appropriately built shock and coil combination can easily rival that of a leaf sprung counterpart. You can put some big *** Eibach coils on the 3.0 diameter shocks

If I was in your shoes I'd be doing this:

42" mtrs
Hutchinson beadlocks
Triangulated rear links (no longer than 32" links and 3" Johnny joints) (moderate upper triangulation, just a few degrees lower. Fully Double triangulated suspensions suck)
Full 5 link front suspension withdouble jointed control arms no longer than 32" (3" Johnny joint), and have a custom front track bar built with double 2" Johnny joints.
Truss the front axle from the top
Gusset the inner C knuckles
14" travel King 2.5" reservoir coilovers in the front and king 2.5" reservoir bypass shocks. Set up for roughly 3" of lift
16" travel King 3.0 reservoir coilovers in the rear with internal bypass.
Sway-a-way swaybars built to your trucks final height and weight, assuming a 60/40 weight distribution

Rebuild the rear how you want it but leave the frame rails. Nothing is as strong as 80,000PSI hydroformed box

That's a Bajable suspension setup if done correctly, and will make the hammers your *****

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1