04 3rd gen Dodge Ram rock crawler expedition build

gun45boat

Adventurer
Damn Marshal.. I like the way you think!!!! Way more than what I was thinking, But damn that is a good challenge, AND pretty motivating ideas to pull off a sick rig. Your right,, with that set-up, The Hammers WOULD be my ***** LOL..

When I get back from the trip, we need to cross some ideas for the next evolution of this build!!!!!!! I like the way you think!!!!!!!:)

swirvin21

Hard Corps
I'm doing something very similar on my 2nd gen Ram. Swapping in an F450 front D60, fully trussed, running 16" Prodigy coil-overs, traditional parallel 4 link w/ panhard, hydro assist for streetability, running leaf in the rear for now, but hope to get into a linked rear in the future. I'd really like to convert my V10 to propane or CNG both for reliability at all angles and ease of packaging/fuel cost, but but finding a setup for a V10 isn't easy.

I agree that keeping the frame is best if possible and just using tubing to reinforce, but depending on frame design, it can be hard to change wheelbase without cutting and back-halfing the rear. What wheelbase are you considering?

gun45boat

Adventurer
Swirvinn21 Please post pics or a Build thread of your Second Gen. I would love to see the progress of your build. Right now, I am sitting at 118" wheelbase (down from 140"/ AS I shortened 22" off the wheelbase, and cut 38" off the rear frame) As of now, I am VERY pleased with the 118", and I think that when I go with 42's it will end up being a perfect set up for this build. What wheelbase are you going for on your 2nd Gen??

gun45boat

Adventurer
Kentucky?? I hear lots of good things about it, if we are talking about the one in Kentucky. I am going to try to make it up there this coming Sept/October.

Is it worth the drive from ORlando??

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Very worth the drive. I think you're too big to hit lions den though. You might not fit through the entrance. I'd like to see you hit little jagger though

Let me know when you go, well head down there. Plan on atleast 3 full days to see most of the park. It's 5000+ acres

swirvin21

Hard Corps
I'm still stock around 130"+, quad cab short bed. I've been debating on doing a rear bob before dovetail, but having to hold off until I figure out my fuel tank issue. Trying to balance a reasonable sized tank without going into the bed or killed departure angle is difficult, plus fuel cells are so darn expensive! Considering reusing my stock Jeep TJ tank and putting it in the Ram for a short term solution, but if money weren't an issue I'd run propane and be done.

I'm planning to start a build thread, but have only recently joined and have been updating my thread on multiple other forums. Here's the link to my DodgeOffroad build as I think you'd benefit from going to a Dodge only forum: http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=933

I'm getting my Prodigy coil-overs through DodgeOffroad and a number of other nick-nacks that you don't see expect in smaller model specific shops like his. I know he's looking at expanding into the 3rd and 4th gens more, so any ideas for new products would likely get built if you wanted. Danny Gaston is the owner and is a good guy, I try to buy whatever I can through him and am a mod on the site.

I've taken alot of ideas off this site, especially with my future rear storage. The bed slider will be in my offroad rig someday and the plan is to run 46" tall MVTs on either Hutchinson or Stazworks 20" double beadlocks. I have both sets of rims already through some very lucky trading, just going to come down to which backspacing works best for me.

gun45boat

Adventurer
Holy ****.. 46" tires?? WOW!!!!! Top heavy as a ********. Glad you are planning to put the axles on, that can handle those meats. I am a throttle junky, and the way I have my **** set up, I can SLAM on up to 40/42's all day long without popping a "fuse",,, Anything more than that with my heavy foot and a Hemi on NOS, I feel that I will become unreliable on very difficult trails. And I HATE being unreliable.

Sick build man,,, Cant wait to see the final results. 46" tires are NO JOKE... and a hell of a ride down the highway :ylsmoke:

swirvin21

Hard Corps
yeah...I don't expect anything easy about the build, but looking forward to the long-term benefits. Focus right now is on suspension and the axle swap itself, then I will inject funding for lockers/Jana76 kit/chromos/etc. I hate having parts in the garage that I can't afford time/money to install though, have a Klune-V and Np205 double just crying to be installed. Going to have to wait until after axle swap so I don't have to pay for driveline changes at the same time. Also have a few pair of suspension seats ready to go, but no cage to run harnesses. Garage looks more like a swap meet....lol! Have a few extra seats for sale if you're needing some, wink wink nudge nudge

I really dig the tube work on yours and hope to be able to do something along those lines. I have a pair of fenders where I cut out the inner wells and skin for a potential tube fender or front dove, etc. I'd like to have removeable tire coverage and headlights to stay legal, but it's such a difficult process in staying legal on the road.

I completely understand wanting to maintain reliability and simple replacement parts, but most of my adventures will be in the US and in relative proximity to a parts store! Look forward to seeing more pics of your rig and the future plans!

gun45boat

Adventurer
Alright fellas. I am getting ready to leave in the next 9 days. I will post up pics and details of the trip as soon as I get signal in various places. Pics and vids as well. Since I am solo on this voyage (much needed time away from people in general LOL) I will try my best to set up the GoPro "uptrail" as often as possible to get some good footage.

Thanks again for following the thread.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
good luck have fun, if you happen to pass through louisville as part of your journey (unlikely) shoot me a message and we can grab a beer and BS

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
MMMMMMMMMM BEEEEERRRRZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes. hell yes.. I am leaving April 12th from Orlando Fl. and am going to take my sweet *** time to get to Moab. Probably arrive in the town of Moab Tuesday April 16th and promptly stock up with grub fuel and beer etc.etc. at the local Grocery store. Then probably head directly to the Central Moab trails in Area 2 my map of trails are going to put me in this order to run each trail.

1) Moab Rim
2) Upper Helderado
3) Coyote Canyon
4)Hells Revenge
5)Metal Masher
6)Pritchet Canyon
7)Poison Spider Mesa
8)Cliff Hanger
9) Golden Spike
10) Kane Creek Canyon

Then headed to the East side of Arches NP to Top of the World then, ROse Garden hill.

I will be on the trails at any given time from April 16th to April 30th with very random treks back to town for fuel/grub/grog.

April 30th I will be making the Trek to The RUbicon Trail (should take me 3 to 4 days to get there) as I will be spending time in Death Valley , and will hit up that trail TRT for 1 week. Then to FOrdyce creek (hopefully the water levels will be down) etc.etc.

Let me know what your schedule is, no need to buy me beers for a look at the rig and details etc. are you going to be on the trails during these times??

I've only just caught the tail end of your thread here and will read it. Hopefully you can post your updates. Buddy of mine in his built 2nd Gen on 40s just returned from EJS. The network out there is pretty good as we chatted and he sent me pics. He ran bunch of the trails you have listed.

RamFlex2_zps80dd01ba.jpg

We both live an hour from TRT and Fordyce. Maybe timing could work out when you are here to hook up unless you have things setup. Just thought to mention. I'm build in progress 2nd Gen.

IMG_20130329_175908_812_zps3dcf2fd5.jpg

Here we are on just entering TRT last summer

BASRubicon2012010.jpg

Cheers and safe travels

Last edited:

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I built this rig to drive down the highway, at 90+mph, and do it for long periods of time, then get on the trails and wheel the best of Moab, and The Rubicon trail/ Fordyce Creek (If I time the "tides" right LOL)and the Badlands. So with that said, I will be driving this rig to and from. Just for the challenge of it:):):):):) :ylsmoke:

I am on the fence about the Trail Ready Bead locks or B.A.D. wheels http://www.badwheelsinc.com/, anyone have any experience or let me know which ones to go with before I leave?? THanks.

I'm sold on the B.A.D. wheels personally. Technical reasons actually. So that would be my vote. I was interested in the TWF 17" dbl BLs too.

Your build has some similarity with a Fordyce local. It's his backyard trail. Perhaps you already aware of him.

ehu3ajy3.jpg

Last edited:

gun45boat

Adventurer
Yes. I recently saw that build last month, I LOVE WHAT HE DID!!!!!! It was funny to see that we were building 3rd gens at the same time, Similar, BUT SO DIFFERENT!!!!! I was originally going to truggy the rear, then decided to keep the Frame and make it more of an expedition rig, as opposed to a dedicated Crawler. A ton of people in Florida thought that was my rig in the FourWheeler Mag, LOL I would REALLY like to meet that dude, and you all in Cali, and have a few beers and compare notes and check out your build. Great pics!!!! I am Excited to hit the TRT, I have Done Moab, but TRT and Fordyce are on my bucket list, and I am determined to make it happen!!!!

WHITKNUCKLE.. My number is 407-310-9412 I am leaving for Moab, then off to TRT/Fordyce Text me your digits, and I will give you all a call as I near TRT, Thanks again for the advise on the wheels. I decided I am going to wear these MTR's out on this trip (10K round trip, with stupid amounts of trail bashing), and when I get back, I was going to pull the trigger on the new wheels and shoes for the rig.

Give me a shout, By the time I get to Fordyce, I will be in need of a cold bear, and internet access LOL

THanks again

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1