04 3rd gen Dodge Ram rock crawler expedition build

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Mike,

I read your thread entirely and see your projected TRT/Fordyce is ~April 29th - May 5th. I am hoping the conditions will be conducive for you to make it in. We've just had some rain (down here), which puts up snow at the high elevations up there. I can do some checking for you as time goes on if you'd like.

Other thing to keep in mind is the river flow (cfm) for Fordyce at that time. It's controlled by a utility. I'm pretty sure you're aware of this and only thought to mention as a heads up still. Access to the trail (different places and portions) may be dependent on these conditions. Perhaps I could contact chainrng also to see of his availability/interest in your run.

Now, did I read correctly that you are effectively a net lift of 2.5"??? If Path88 is available (green dodge above), then you'll be able to check out his 17" Bilstein C/Os for reference. You must have c/os!!!!!!! hahahahah From earlier in the thread, I agree with other folks' input about shocks. ORIs are great in concept, but I don't think they are proper application for you. My 1 cent on that.

I don't like that you get to get away with moving your fuel tank and maintaining street legal. In CA, while you have to maintain stock emissions components, function, and controls, I don't think you are allowed to move the gas tank. Definitely you can't change it. I hope I'm wrong...

I am glad to see the roof top tent. Personally, I'd like to maintain the use of my Thule racks to hold one of them. I hope to get up close and personal to check yours out. I've got a sick idea, like Swirvin, to make my long rig capable in this arena. The quad cab allows me to bring the whole family. However, there is a big difference b/t you and me on driving style. I'm not an assaulter. ;) I'm a slow, technical, and methodic-er-ish-er. ahahhahha For example, on the TRT I only ran up to Little Sluice rather than Buck Island. Only b/c we killed alot of time from a rollover in our group. No it was not me. Nor did I break! I'm running stock axles under an Offroad Edition with only 2.5" spacers up front. My tow hitch loved me that weekend as well as the tcase skid. No winching or anything. Evap and gas skid were only casualties only b/c I forgot a line going out in the last 2 blocks of the trail.

Given the target tire size you're going (42") are you desiring to stay 17" wheel or considering 20"?

I will certainly give you my contact info.

I do know that my club is doing a trail run on Saturday May 5th. It is nearby the TRT.

Yes. I recently saw that build last month, I LOVE WHAT HE DID!!!!!! It was funny to see that we were building 3rd gens at the same time, Similar, BUT SO DIFFERENT!!!!! I was originally going to truggy the rear, then decided to keep the Frame and make it more of an expedition rig, as opposed to a dedicated Crawler. A ton of people in Florida thought that was my rig in the FourWheeler Mag, LOL I would REALLY like to meet that dude, and you all in Cali, and have a few beers and compare notes and check out your build. Great pics!!!! I am Excited to hit the TRT, I have Done Moab, but TRT and Fordyce are on my bucket list, and I am determined to make it happen!!!!

WHITKNUCKLE.. My number is 407-310-9412 I am leaving for Moab, then off to TRT/Fordyce Text me your digits, and I will give you all a call as I near TRT, Thanks again for the advise on the wheels. I decided I am going to wear these MTR's out on this trip (10K round trip, with stupid amounts of trail bashing), and when I get back, I was going to pull the trigger on the new wheels and shoes for the rig.

Give me a shout, By the time I get to Fordyce, I will be in need of a cold bear, and internet access LOL

THanks again

Mike

gun45boat

Adventurer
WhitKnuckle. Please Give me a call at my number when you have time.

Yes, it is "legal" in Florida to move the fuel tank, as there are NO inspections WHAT-SO-EVER in Florida :ylsmoke::ylsmoke::ylsmoke:. I kept ALL the original equipment including the fuel pump and all Smog equipment evap/ etc. using the original fuel tank because its HUGE and worked really nicely in the design and the new fuel tank housing to house the factory fuel cell. I literally just built the fuel housing, dropped it on the frame rail (obviously a lot of Fab work was done to do this) inserted the factory fuel tank, and LITERALLY just took the factory harness AND all the hoses/tubes/etc. plasma cut a small inlet hole (specifically measured while building the housing as an "outcrop" for the placement of the tubes etc) Believe it or not>>> The factory stuff ran up through the new housing and plugged right into the new location of the fuel tank with NO ADDITIONAL WORK. We were all surprised the factory stuff worked with out any extensions of anything. Like it was meant to be there. I get a ton of compliments from fabbers here in Florida about how well I pulled it off, that actually catch what I did. kick *** idea/ most say. I think it was shear luck and a drunken vision LOL, but who is to judge. THis truck is still smog legal, everything is stock with the fuel tank in a different location above the frame rails. Cats are still in place. I did nothing to the engine (to keep it reliable) Honestly, that freakin HEMI has PLENTY of power even stock) SOmetimes it surprises me how much *** it has (Go MOPAR, and I NEVER would have thought I would EVER say that!!!) I am a die hard Toyota Freak, with my last tube Chassis sporting a Toyota 2UZFE 4.7L V8 on N.O.S with dual Marlins on Diamonds etc.etc.. and this Hemi (if it holds up after I abuse the piss out of it) Is slowly becoming my favorite engine. The low end Grunt of this engine is Ballzzz, and it will happily bounce the governor for long periods of time (ask me how I know) LOL!!!

Yes. I only have a carli 2.5 lift in the Front with the KORE rear Spring kit, Running the KORE Bilstien Res. shocks. With Kore Bumps relocated rear mounting points, and Triple Threat Control arms in the front, and am NOT running a sway bar (runs nicely, and will side slide on dry pavement going 45+mph and stay on all 4's /// Scary, But it will stay upright :ylsmoke: I knew with the build I could keep the Center of Gravity low, because I was going to strip the fenders off anyways, So I didnt need to worry about height to stuff big meats. The Front axle is pushed forward 1 inch, and I know I can stuff 42" tires ALL DAY LONG.. with no rubbing. I love the set up on this rig jumps and Lands very nicely, and is STUPID stable on ANY side hill or off camber sections. Yes, I am staying with the 17's for the shear tire selection of Sticky's and the 42" MTR's (I love these tires)

I DEF> would enjoy checking out your folks builds including yours. Not many people build Dodge Crawlers in Florida, so I had very little hands on "sight-seeing" to go by with this build. I just had a vision, and kinda went with it. It really turned out awesome though.. Sometimes I wish I built a crew cab/ then when I am caught *** DEEP in a huge rock garden, I am thankful I went with a shortened up single cab LOL... Although I would enjoy the extra space/ it is always a catch 22 LOL

Please (if you care to take the time) I would appreciate all of your help about Fordyce. I have done a tone of research about the CFM's on the river, and it seems it will be a crap shoot as to being able to make it. My main objective is TRT, and I plan to Be out there, at least a week, enjoying the Scenery.

I am gearing up for the trip (leaving in 4 days) , and need to pick your brain about the best way to get to The Rubicon trail from Moab. I was thinking about getting on highway 50W from Provo and going through the middle of Nevada (is this a scenic route?) I want to stay off the highways as much as possible once I hit the rocky mountains. If you could, (or anyone reading this thread) Please direct me into the best way to hit the TRT, I have the TRT guide book, etc. But local knowledge is always king. If Fordyce is not accessible, Maybe you folks were up for another trail ride in the area ( or direct me to a decent trail) , we could all hook up and wheel another trail (time and schedules permitting) I would REALLY enjoy wheeling with a few DODGE Rams, as I have NEVER had the priviledge of comparing notes with other PW owners that actually wheel their rigs on the rock (as Florida is known for being the "kings of mud bogs")

Please keep me posted about the May5th run, as I will DEF> be in the area during that time.

THanks again for taking the time to respond, I got several cold beers with your name on them, if our schedules happen to coincide during this trip.

ashstudly

MMMMMMMMMM BEEEEERRRRZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes. hell yes.. I am leaving April 12th from Orlando Fl. and am going to take my sweet *** time to get to Moab. Probably arrive in the town of Moab Tuesday April 16th and promptly stock up with grub fuel and beer etc.etc. at the local Grocery store. Then probably head directly to the Central Moab trails in Area 2 my map of trails are going to put me in this order to run each trail.

1) Moab Rim
2) Upper Helderado
3) Coyote Canyon
4)Hells Revenge
5)Metal Masher
6)Pritchet Canyon
7)Poison Spider Mesa
8)Cliff Hanger
9) Golden Spike
10) Kane Creek Canyon

Then headed to the East side of Arches NP to Top of the World then, ROse Garden hill.

I will be on the trails at any given time from April 16th to April 30th with very random treks back to town for fuel/grub/grog.

April 30th I will be making the Trek to The RUbicon Trail (should take me 3 to 4 days to get there) as I will be spending time in Death Valley , and will hit up that trail TRT for 1 week. Then to FOrdyce creek (hopefully the water levels will be down) etc.etc.

Let me know what your schedule is, no need to buy me beers for a look at the rig and details etc. are you going to be on the trails during these times??

I probably won't be doing the trails, would just be running down to check out your rig and maybe bust out the dirt bike. I'll either come down and do an over-nighter in a hotel on Sat/Sun the 20th or the 27th. I'll send you a text when I get things solidified and hopefully we can hook up.

Bryan

gun45boat

Adventurer
Hey Bryan, Just give me shout on the above listed Cell number a couple days before your coming to Moab, so that I can schedule a time to run into town for supplies (to coincide with your schedule) as I plan on Camping most of the time out on the trails. Looking forward to meeting you. ALso, If your up for running the trails on any certain days, just give me a shout, and we will try to schedule it. AS I am sure you have a few friends with a trail rig, that will be up for a good trail ride in Moab.

Thanks again,

Mike

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Good chat the other day.

Since you are solo, I was curious if you had/have medical transport coverage for this trip? God forbid that you need to use it.

For our area there is CalStar: http://www.calstar.org/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

it's $35/year/individual and $50/year/family. Well worth it for the Sierra Nevada here. Last year's Jeepers Jamboree on the Rubicon resulted in a need for this service among some other situations. Just thought to mention as a "just in case".

Will be in touch regarding conditions.

Here is a picture at Loon Lake 3/28/13

8622791875_f2cdd42573_b.jpg

We've just had a rain poor a day ago too.

ps. did you get my private message from the board here ok?

gun45boat

Adventurer
*********UPDATE*************

Trip has been CANCELLED/POSTPONED Our Engineering firm just nabbed a HUGE contract (and I mean HUGE) and against all of my bitching and complaining, I realized that there is NO WAY I can pull off this trip, and complete this contract on time. THIS IS SO FREAKING TYPICAL... 8 months of planning, and BOOM, we get a Huge contract 2 days before I depart......

I am not complaining as the Money is good... But Damn, the timing SUCKS!!!!!!

I am figuring a Early Sept run now Once the Contract is complete. A HUGE THANKS to the FOlks helping to plan and meet up with on the trip and the great people on this board, THANKS FOR ALL THE PM's regarding planning and trails.

It will just be delayed 4.5 months.

Back to work:) for 4 more months, then the trip will resume.

Mike

swirvin21

Hard Corps
that sucks....but now you'll have an excuse to make more modifications and get more things ready for your trip. Perhaps this will help you in extending your trip even farther or longer, might as well do as much as you can while you're on that side of the country!

gun45boat

Adventurer
Thanks. Due to me not going, and having some spare coins. I decided to pull the trigger on the 42"MTR's and the Hutchinson Bead locks. and here is the good news... I decided to pull the trigger on a ZEX Nitrous oxide kit for it, AND the purge kit with the remote bottle opener AND the Adjustable in-cab dial. I figure that will keep me busy on the truck in the mean time, and a planned trip next month to Harlan Kentucky for the PW event.

Attachments

• dodgenitrous.jpg
    dodgenitrous.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 436

gun45boat

Adventurer
Marshall, Could you please send me the info on the event in Harlan Kentucky. Looks like I will be able to make it now:/

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
<hijack>

I went to a car show at the local mall once and the local Fast and Furious wannabes had their little club there, they called themselves "Mystical Compax" but everyone made fun of them and called them mystical tampax. I digress. The one car had his trunk open and inside was a nitrous bottle. Firstly, I'm pretty sure its not legal to mount those in the trunk. But I couldn't get my eyes off of it for some reason until I noticed there were no hoses or anything connected to the bottle. That made me chuckle a little bit. Then I noticed there was something funny with the mounting bracket-the bottle wasn't strapped down. When I looked closer I saw it was a home made bracket.....they drilled and tapped the bottle so they could bolt it onto the bracket. I kid you not.

</hijack>

gun45boat

Adventurer
You are F#$king kidding me right??? That is some funny ****!!!!!!! Please tell me you snapped a photog of the Engineering masterpiece???? LOL

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
You are F#$king kidding me right??? That is some funny ****!!!!!!! Please tell me you snapped a photog of the Engineering masterpiece???? LOL

I don't have a pic, I didn't even own a cell phone at the time. These guys were funny because a lot of them were high school kids with no jobs, so they would take the bumpers off their cars and drive around like that and say "yeah...I'm waiting for my body kit to come in" but months would go by and no body kit. I watched one kid burn up his clutch once too, he must have thought he was peeling rubber or something because he was revving it and slipping the clutch and there was lots of smoke but his tires weren't moving.

swirvin21

Hard Corps
Thought I might tease you a little......got a set of Stazworks 20" double beadlocks with Hutchinson inserts and 8 on 6.5 pattern, reversible backspacing 7" or 3" approx, if you're interested in upgrading. <wink wink nudge nudge>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1