1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

rube bonet

Adventurer
I got the start of the air intake/ snorkle set up in, a UMP air filter housing that uses donaldson filters.

IMG_2012_11_03_7435.jpg

I bent a mount up for it on the inner fender out of a single piece of 14 ga cold roll.

IMG_2012_11_03_7437.jpg

I then got it in the engine bay, then mocked up the plumbing run from the air box to the intake. T bolt clamps will finish off those connections

IMG_2012_11_05_7450.jpg

The rest of the intake will continue thru the fender, and pop out in the cowl.

rube bonet

Adventurer
I also got my "load rated cables" (385 LB) from mcmaster carr, and the nylon washers, toggle clamps and other little bits to finish the tables. The tables rest against rubber bumpers, the toggle holding them in the upright position.

IMG_2012_11_03_7440.jpg

IMG_2012_11_03_7441.jpg

IMG_2012_11_03_7439.jpg

Spring loaded pop pin that allows for two locked open positions for the carriers

IMG_2012_11_03_7438.jpg

kfgk14

Adventurer
Sparing no expense, huh? Any idea how much you've got into this, or how much you intend to spend total?

Very nice, wicked clean!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Do you have a good source for the UMP filter housing? I was thinking about doing something like that on my Dodge. Their factory website sucks....

rube bonet

Adventurer
Sparing no expense, huh? Any idea how much you've got into this, or how much you intend to spend total?

Very nice, wicked clean!

Not really. I like to think of it as "waste no dollar" rather than "spare no expense". To me, "spare no expense" means $25,000 engines, bypass shocks and coil overs, atlas t cases, billet CTM axles in a Dynatrac front 60 housing:sombrero: This build is more like meeting goals, building a capable vehicle, KISS, making mama and kids happy, while keeping to a reasonable budget, and having a ride that makes you smile.

I just happen to believe it is much more satisfying to build it to do its job right the first time, minimizing the compromise.

Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited:

rube bonet

Adventurer
Do you have a good source for the UMP filter housing? I was thinking about doing something like that on my Dodge. Their factory website sucks....

I just call UMP. They are very easy to deal with and they are extremely knowledgeable. Their website does indeed suck, but the product is top notch and very reasonably priced.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Getting the little things done, most of the interior fab work is done...

BIG ac unit took up the space where the glovebox would go, so I fabbed up a new insert out of .090 aluminum.

IMG_2012_11_05_7448.jpg

BradtheWelder

Is it some kind of electric a/c unit? My next project is going to have electric heat so it will be instant heat and also less plumbing of coolant.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Is it some kind of electric a/c unit? My next project is going to have electric heat so it will be instant heat and also less plumbing of coolant.

No, it is a Vintage Air underdash unit. It barely fits behind the dash, all the lines exit forward through the firewall.

It is this unit http://www.vintageair.com/2012catalog/2012 VintageAir Catalog Final WEB (Page 40).pdf

I am worried about it being big enough, especially because there are no plans for insulation/ carpeting except for lizardskin/ rhino lining, possible some rubber floor mats. We have tossed around the idea of doing rear AC, after it is up and running, we will see how well it does. The ac company and I both suggested some sort of insulation/ carpeting, but I think that makes it difficult to wash the blood out of the back:D

Last edited:

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
I also got my "load rated cables" (385 LB) from mcmaster carr, and the nylon washers, toggle clamps and other little bits to finish the tables. The tables rest against rubber bumpers, the toggle holding them in the upright position.

IMG_2012_11_03_7440.jpg

IMG_2012_11_03_7441.jpg

IMG_2012_11_03_7439.jpg

I see one problem with these tables.....With all the dimpled holes, your beer might fall thru. LOL!

The Fleckster

I did a cage through the dash one time but it had a custom dash so no dash pad. What did you end up doing to the dash pad? Trim it and reseal it up or? Also did you just extend the e-brake release out to clear the tube?

rube bonet

Adventurer
I did a cage through the dash one time but it had a custom dash so no dash pad. What did you end up doing to the dash pad? Trim it and reseal it up or? Also did you just extend the e-brake release out to clear the tube?

I just trimmed the dash pad. It was all cracked up already, needs to be redone...probably going to be done at the body shop. As far as the ebrake, I just slid it out a ways to clear the tube, redid the bracket on the dash side.

The Fleckster

I just trimmed the dash pad. It was all cracked up already, needs to be redone...probably going to be done at the body shop. As far as the ebrake, I just slid it out a ways to clear the tube, redid the bracket on the dash side.

I spray line the dash pads and arm rests here at my shop if ya want to send them i can take care of that for you. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design