1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
You had asked a while back about using a wind deflector with the rack. I had a wind deflector on a previous rack. It had a rubber weather strip that sealed against the roof, and scratched up the paint. Stopped the whistling noise (very nice!), but I didn't notice any change in fuel mileage. And that was on long freeway trips.
I've been considering mounting a 40" LED light strip behind a clear Lexan wind deflector, but not sure how bad it would mess with the beam pattern.

Scott

The Fleckster

The project is looking great. I vote for the light guards on the bumper.
The way you did your snorkel kinda reminds me of the one I did in 2000 or so. I used a centurie precleaner on top. I kept it off on the side to minimize lost visability. Anyway its looking closer to being done. Cant wait to see it and hopefully see it at one of the scout shows on the west coast. Binder Bee would be a great one, or Sierra Fall Rally.

Attachments

• ExpiditionSnorkel03.JPG
    ExpiditionSnorkel03.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 57

rube bonet

Adventurer
I am basically doing all I can to avoid working on the front bumper. The front driveshaft barely cleared the trans pan with this trans/ tcase combo, and I wanted something fairly stout to handle the motor. I compromised on the diameter of the shaft, but I had Precision Drivelines beef the material up to 1.5 x .250 wall chromoly tube. The new shaft cleared the pan, but only by a hair. I was worried that a hard lateral load on the front suspension during compression travel (commonly known as blowing the corner and smacking the drainage ditch sliding sideways at 50) would push the front axle over far enough the driveshaft would crash into the pan....no good.

I originally got a Derale deep steel pan to replace the Hughes cast aluminum pan, thinking it would be thinner overall and easier to modify. After I took a look at it, and how nice the inside of the hughes pan was, I changed my mind. The steel pan wouldn't fit on with the deeper filter the Hughes pan could, and the aluminum pan had cool little "fingers" to hold the filter in place. Besides all of that, it looked decidedly cooler, and truly more functional.

I pulled the pan off to see what was in the way, I remembered there wasn't much room left over inside the 4l60e.
IMG_2012_11_30_7522.jpg

I trimmed the pan to hug the internals, then bolted it down to my table to prevent warpage. I welded a section of aluminum plate back in.

IMG_2012_11_30_7521.jpg

Plenty of clearance now. The driveshaft as pictured is sitting at full compression. It now has room to move an 1 1/2 laterally towards the drivers side before contacting the pan, which hopefully never happens, because that would put the front diff thru the engine oil pan. There is actually room now that I would feel comfortable running a 2" diameter shaft in there...

IMG_2012_11_30_7523.jpg

IMG_2012_11_30_7528.jpg

92path_68CJ

Crawl-O-Matic
This build is fantastic.

Your customer must be very, very happy.

And I was starting to think roof racks couldn't be cool and different anymore....

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Rob, as a Scout owner of 33 years I've seen many builds and yours has some of the best fabrication I've seen yet. It does my IH red heart good to see someone bring a Binder to this level. I can't wait to see what this truck looks like when it's completed. Maybe you could bring it out to one of the West Coast IH shows.

x2. Very nice.:drool:

rube bonet

Adventurer
I haven't updated in a while, but my part of this project is nearing the end. It is scheduled to go to the gas tank shop, to have the custom tank built. From there, it will go to the exhaust shop, then on to the spring shop. The final stop will be the body shop, for paint, plumbing, wiring....and the PIA task of reassembling this whole machine.

I didn't have a filler neck for the Scout, so I set about sourcing some parts.

This aluminum Newton flush, lockable filler was too cool to pass up. It is beautiful, and easy to use....the machine work is impeccable.

IMG_2012_12_16_7564.jpg

I think it looks perfect on the fender, in the original location
IMG_2012_12_16_7542.jpg

IMG_2012_12_16_7563.jpg

rube bonet

Adventurer
I also built the pick up/ fuel pump assembly for the gas tank. On a vehicle like this, I like to keep as many of the parts "off the shelf" items as possible. I got a fuel pump and pickup assembly from a 2005 Escalade (stock pump for the motor), and set about modifying it for the scout tank. I separated the pump into two pieces, the lower basket with the pump and sending unit, and modified the upper mount to fit into the fill plate a fabbed. This is easily done in the field, and will be the only mod needed to change the pump. I can also easily change the pump in the future...just in case some motor mods require more fuel.:roost:

IMG_2012_12_16_7566.jpg

IMG_2012_12_16_7565.jpg

rube bonet

Adventurer
what will the lower basket fit into in the tank?

I've got a mount to tack into the bottom of the tank, a couple bolts hold the basket to it. I just didn't have pics of it...

The tank will also have baffling to contain slosh, and keep fuel in place on the up hills.

SChandler

Adventurer
Rube, any chance you'll be able to keep tabs/post pictures of this truck after it leaves your hands and gets finished up? I'd love to see photos of the fuel tank and interior/exterior work and the finished product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design