1989 Skamper 100S roof repairand roof corners

mopar01

Hey all I have a 1989 Skamper 100s AWSOME camper works great but now I have the common roof problem, it leaks in the center right were the two aluminum sheet pannels meet, thats an easy fix ill just re seal that. but it did damage to the styrofoam (cracked it) and now the roof sags some in that one spot. question one how does one go about fixing that problem? where do you get the materials to do such a repair? Next the back of the roof were the rear torsion mounts are seem to be twisting slightly and the rear corner caps are broke, so from what iv read i need to replace the plywood on the outer part which is two 1/2" pieces glued together. but how do i go about this does anyone have the step by step instructions? I know people on here have done it and they have come out great, im just leery of doing it seems like those mounts have alot of pressure on them, and how do i repair that wood without destroying the roof? and when its all said and done how do i replace the corner caps, im guessing their not available anymore. please advise!

Bill_G_62439

Observer
Welcome mopar01!

I have currently been involved in such a restoration as yours. Mine is still sitting in the backyard with the roof removed. You should be able to acquire all the materials you need at your local building supply store. In fact, having studied my 080S roof, I believe you can rebuild it stronger than new without adding much weight. I do not want to be discouraging, but from the description of your roof, it sound like you'll be facing a major repair.

I have an ongoing post that details the deconstruction of my roof if that helps. Basically, you're going to need 3 sheets of 1/8 or 1/4 ply, a sheet of 1/2 ply, glue (I'm going to try Wedgwood contact), and optional 1" thick crossmember reinforcements. You'll have to notch those into the foam.

In retrospect, I believe it might be easier to build a whole new roof with plywood and FRP, but the cost would go up.

As soon as I get some time, I'll be rebuilding mine and posting more detailed pics as I go. I also posted the original manuals, but they're to small to read. PM me if you'd like the link to them. The roof lifting diagram may be helpful to you.

Good luck!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Morpar! I never did the extensive work to my old roof as Bill did, but I did repair the cracked corner brackets and front panel. From all the research I did I could not find a replacement. Below are specific links to the areas I repaired with picts. My complete Skamper thread link is in my sig. Good Luck with the repairs! :smiley_drive:

Roof Corner Rebuild.

Front Side Panel Repair

mopar01

Thank you both for your information, im goin to try to work on this as soon as im able, unfortunatly i dont have the garage space to do it inside so if i have to pull the roof off i will have to make some sort of temp. roof so the inside does not get ruined! also im very worried about the canvas and the lift bars iv herd bad storys about people messing with all of this and really screwing things up! the styrofoam is the stuff i need to buy the pink or blue stuff you find at home depot? and i guess the rest of it is just plywood and glue right? also if i have to remove the top, do i remove it when its pop'd up or do i remove it when its down? sory for all the questions again
thanks all!

Bill_G_62439

Observer
The foam that's original is the white beaded polystyrene foam that is 1" thick. I just saw it on sale at a local Menard's store for $3.98 for a 4'x8' sheet the day before yesterday. And you will need a glue that does not react with the foam. DO NOT use Weldwood contact cement--it eats foam big time! The blue or pink foam will probably work as well.

You will want to remove the roof in the raised position so the torsion bars will be unloaded. there will still be some stress on them unless your roof is totally rotted like mine was and the bars have twisted the corners.

My 080S roof has been off for a month and a half with a poly tarp covering the camper. Isaac is coming through the midwest this weekend with 2-4" of rain expected, but I propped the tarp up well yesterday for good drainage.

I purchased all the materials for the rebuild and am SLOWLY working at getting it back together. I decided to run a couple of 1" x 1 1/2" ribs across the top notched into the foam and glued directly to the aluminum where the plywood, er cardboard, joints were. It shouldn't add any weight to speak of and may help reinforce the roof a bit.

Good luck with your repairs!

sonora

The Scamper roof corners look very similar to the roof corners on my Northstar popup camper. You may want to check and see if they will work for you.

Northstar is very helpful and a call to them might help.

Olyellen

Anyone have any tips for removing the canvas? I need to remove roof and thought to just remove from roof with the hundreds of screws. But worried about attachment when I'm done so wondering if I should also detach from below so it's easier to reattach to the roof when I am done?
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1