1991 Isuzu Trooper Overlanding Build

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Great thread. I have a much lower budget first gen trooper build you might have seen (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/98105-Turbo-Diesel-Trooper-Expedition-Build).

I plan to tear it apart soon and redo the interior and exterior... I will keep the brown interior but want to repaint mine white like yours. Did you paint the aluminum door panels or did you buy the sheet aluminum somehow already black?
I painted the door panels. Eventually I would like to get them powdercoated. I will check out your thread! I am jealous of your diesel!

Bart

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Well, don't feel too bad. The 2.6 ain't much better. I just returned from a trip up to Vancouver, BC and back. There were several long steep pulls in southern Oregon up I-5 where I was maxed out at 35-40 MPH in 3rd gear going up....Troopers do not like steep grades and when you throw a head wind into the mix it's even more painful.

Bart

Viggen

Just here...
How is the parts availability for these? Basics, like body rubber seals, etc...? Drying up yet? My first truck and the first thing I wheeled was a '91 Rodeo. I troll around CL for first gen Troopers and Rodeos often but lack of parts availability scares me away.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
The vent window seals do dry up pretty bad, but these are still available from Isuzu. You have to order them from someone who can order them from Japan, like a dealership or someone with access to the Isuzu Parts Network. The rest of the rubber parts seem to hold up well. I live in northern NV where it is super dry and I have only had to replace the vent window seals.

Bart

Viggen

Just here...
The vent window seals do dry up pretty bad, but these are still available from Isuzu. You have to order them from someone who can order them from Japan, like a dealership or someone with access to the Isuzu Parts Network. The rest of the rubber parts seem to hold up well. I live in northern NV where it is super dry and I have only had to replace the vent window seals.

Bart

Rubber part is just an example. How is everything else? Since Isuzu dealerships are gone, how do you order from Japan?

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
So wear parts like shocks, springs, brakes, and most under the hood components are still pretty available, but mostly in aftermarket flavors. If you end up with a GM 2.8 V6 parts are very common, as it is a very common Chevy motor. Body and interior bits are pretty difficult to source new. Glass, other than the windshield, can get tricky too. Again, you will likely scrounge junkyards for side windows if you needed them, but under normal circumstances should not be the case. You can still get new clutches from Exedy as well, and that said, you should find a 5-speed as they really last a long time. The aftermarket is pretty bad, but you can get ARB lockers and OME springs and shocks. So its really not that bad.

But, if you are really impatient and you would rather have a 600 page catalog of aftermarket options, Isuzu might not be the right choice.

But

Viggen

Just here...
So wear parts like shocks, springs, brakes, and most under the hood components are still pretty available, but mostly in aftermarket flavors. If you end up with a GM 2.8 V6 parts are very common, as it is a very common Chevy motor. Body and interior bits are pretty difficult to source new. Glass, other than the windshield, can get tricky too. Again, you will likely scrounge junkyards for side windows if you needed them, but under normal circumstances should not be the case. You can still get new clutches from Exedy as well, and that said, you should find a 5-speed as they really last a long time. The aftermarket is pretty bad, but you can get ARB lockers and OME springs and shocks. So its really not that bad.

But, if you are really impatient and you would rather have a 600 page catalog of aftermarket options, Isuzu might not be the right choice.

But

Thanks. I know there is not a lot of aftermarket there. I built my 91 Rodeo 3.1/ 5MT (bought new) with a Calmini kit, 33s, and a locker in the rear. Not a lot available back in 2000 either. I know about the GM crossovers but am just curious as to what is available now that is Isuzu specific. Things like panels, body rubber, glass, etc... Crash parts and age wearing bits.

My ultimate Isuzu would be a dual cab Holden Rodeo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1